1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
great first 10 years
By ike on 10/04/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan on 06/08/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

Hard to believe
By stan on 05/28/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I can't believe after 9 1/2 years I am still driving this car. It remains as reliable as the day I bought it. No mechanical problems ever with this car. The only thing it requires is an extra quart of high mileage oil between every oil change. It has been in two very minor accidents and keeps on going. I have saved a great deal of money by owning this car. The gas mileage has remained great with 40+ on the highway and 35 in the city. I have 181,000 miles and am confident it will make it to 200,000 + before there is a problem.

Qwerky but Good
By Dodger on 04/29/08 11:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I needed a reliable, inexpensive car for commuting. I am happy to say that I got what I was looking for. It has been reliable and gets GREAT gas mileage. When I bought it, it had 80K miles, had poor acceleration and used about one quart of oil every 1000 miles. Then the SRS light came on. I had to replace the catalytic convertor. I also did a top end cleaning (injectors, intake, valves) before replacing the exhaust. What a difference! It runs like a new car, uses only one quart of oil every 3000 miles, and still gets 35-42 MPG!!! Not bad for a car with 102000 miles, huh!!

Best car for the money?
By Randy Ruchotzke on 10/26/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my daughter after her Escort was totalled. Both of us are impressed (coming from a 1999 Escort to a 1999 Saturn influences our opinion). The mileage with a 5-speed and SOHC aengine is terrific. On two separate trips to NY from OH we averaged 46 mpg on the freeway. I will admit that my driving habits do tend to support high mileage. Has been perfectly reliable. Does burn a bit of oil, 1 qt every 1500 miles or so, but the engine runs strong. Not the most comfortable seats during long trips. Handles and rides okay, will be better with different tires. Love the dent resistant doors

A great little car- served me well!
By Flo Harvey on 09/22/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

This car has 93,000 miles on it and has had nothing wrong with it for 7 years. I replaced tires and battery only... had regular oil changes (fluid and belt maintenance) with Jiffy Lube every 6 months. Still runs like a charm!

1999 Saturn SL-2
By eggoodwin on 04/08/07 15:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car hurriedly when I lost my car in a flood. I should have checked it out closer! The trunk will hold absolutely nothing. I feel as if I am sitting on the ground. I paid extra for leather but it is cheap leather and has not held up well with only me driving it. My sunroof leaks, my driver's door leaks, the ABS which I paid extra for went out 5 years later and the cost quoted me by Saturn to repair was very high. The good things are the gas mileage (approx 33 on highway and 30 in town) and the reliability. The road noise is so loud that I cannot talk on my cell while I am in the car.

Great Commuter Car
By cottie on 08/03/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to get me through college in 2001 with only 17,158 miles on it. Fast Forward four years later I have 136k. I replaced it with a VUE Redline. Cheap car to operate, Cheap car to fix, The major repairs came in a shifter cable (135k) and a Clutch 120k (1st Replacement Clutch) The air still blows cold, and it still gets 36mpg on the highway.

kats praise
By kathjo on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I love my saturn. It's my first "new car" and i wouldn't trade it just yet. I have had it about 3 years and no breakdowns so far. i keep the maintance up to day with regular oil changes and gas treatments. i have only had to replace the brakes and rotors once. and only because they were original factory issue. The best thing i love about my saturn is that i use to be afraid to drive in the snow. now with my saturn i can drive thru just about anything!

This car Rocks!!!!
By davidpk on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Great to drive, fun, easy and inexpensive to work on. Averaging 38 mpg on highway and 28 in town, If you can find one buy it!!