Not bad, but a lot of little problems
By boldaker on
1998 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan
This is my second Saturn. The first was a station wagon. I thought the constant rattling was a flaw in the wagon, but this one rattles constantly too. I've had the same problems others have had. The door seals have been loose since I bought it. All of the overhead handles have come off (and they weren't used). It burns through oil really quickly. I have to add a quart a month between oil changes. I see there are people who have gotten 35+ mpg. I have only ever gotten 24 mpg. Now the ignition isn't working. The key won't turn on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd try. It can take up to 5 minutes of trying to start the car. I haven't had major problems, but I'm very disappointed with it.
Favorite Features
It's cute, and it hasn't had any major engine/systems trouble. Interior space was good until my teenagers hit the height of 5'10".
Suggested Improvements
Parts seem cheap and easily breakable. The constant rattling and vibration when idling is extremely irritating. Also my second Saturn with key trouble (one was locks; this one is the ignition). New keys don't help. It's the internal mechanism.