1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Fun Car For Young People
By Heather on 12/07/06 07:04 AM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This is a fun, sporty car from Saturn. It is reliable and good quality. I have had this car for almost 10 years and haven't had any major problems. I plan on buying another Saturn in the future.

Fun car
By dragonSC2 on 07/17/06 08:21 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I brought the car from co-worker because I wanted to learn how to drive stick shift. 8 months later after give it a tune up, flush the engine and replace all the sensors. This car run great (slight mod). I drive 75-80 mph every day commuting to work and still average 34-35 mpg (can't imagine what my mpg would be if I drive speed limit).

Great Buy. Saturn has me for life!
By Robert on 04/25/06 16:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wow, when I bought this from a family friend, I was not expecting this. Yeah, it's a cheaply built car, and it has a poor resale value, but look at what you get in return. Excellent MPG, I average about 34mpg right now. The car has no recalls and I havent had any trouble swith it at all. Oh yea, Honda and Toyota look out, I have 192kms on this guy and it's going strong. Great car. I'll buy another Saturn for my next car for sure.

My SC2
By charlie brown on 03/10/06 14:31 PM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This is a great car. I have driven it sparingly (only 57,500 miles to date). As far as reliability, I've had to replace the battery twice and the clutch cable, otherwise it has been trouble free.

Solid point-A-to-point-B price performer
By Vance Duncan on 02/24/06 16:09 PM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car has proven to be reliable in hot and cold climates. The overall reliability has been stellar and the overall performance is quite good. It's a little noisy while driving, but not too bad. The leg room is quite limited in the back seat. However, for children, it's easy to get in and out with the 4 doors. Gas mileage is better than average.

Second Saturn and love it!
By Porkchop on 01/09/06 10:40 AM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

What A great car. What's not to like? This is my second Saturn my first being a 1991 SL2 and have they made a lot of improvements. First the engine noise is down to what it should be for a car like this. Also the road noise is down too. The materials in the car are a lot better quality although I never had a problem or never disliked the first cars interior. Bottom line is I've read a few reviews from people who review cars for a living and some put this car down. I guess it's hard to go from test driving a Porsche 911 to a Saturn. Both Saturns have been cheaper to own than any other car my family has owned. Fun,Cheap to own, and reliable if you take care of it like any car. Take Care!

Not too bad for my first car
By sfranson on 11/22/05 21:34 PM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new and am still with it. Overall it was a smart purchase as a high school student. Lately though, things have been going wrong. At 90K, 2 of the window motors have broken, and the sunroof is unusable. Parking brake also did not pass inspection. The largest problem I have had is that the engine mounts have broken TWICE!! Do love the dent resistant panels though!! I call it the Tupperware car! You can dent it, but it's easily popped out with little cosmetic damage. Have had some bouts with the service department though. You gotta watch em... but I suppose that's true with most places. Overall, not too bad a choice.

The Toyota of the GM made cars!
By Mikey C on 09/17/05 04:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wow. I paid I mere $2600 for this SL1 and couldn't be happier. The car has 107k Miles on it and is running as smooth as brand new. Mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. Very smooth and quiet ride except for a few dash rattles, but nothing too bad. Excellent gas mileage. I am averaging 31/42mpg. No kidding. I just keep putting in regular gas, with that fuel injection cleaner with every other tank, maintain my oil changes regularly, as well as my tires filled properly with air. and this = excellent gas mileage. Love the car, and everything it offers. The seat belts do lock up too easily though, and the interior(although comfy) does feel very cheap. But properly maintained and it'll last.

Best car ever owned
By Jody on 08/22/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

The Saturn SC1 was the result of a choice between it, the Pontiac Sunfire, and the Chevy Cavalier Z24. This car is the best I've ever owned. Since bought, the most expensive repair has been the replacement of the muffler at $200. Smooth transmission, easy startups even in the coldest of winter, reliable, and very fuel efficient compared to others its size (at least 600km per fill up). Very user friendly dashboard (kind of boring actually), spacious front seats. Lots of cargo space in the trunk. I had a head on collision with mine, performed extremely well as far as safety goes - both airbags deployed, crunch zones functionned perfectly - no debris inside the car, steering column stayed put.

My Saturn
By SRE on 06/18/05 23:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I love my car! I bought it new, and have had no regrets, except when an F- 250 drove up the hood. After the repair, it was back to my great car. Great gas mileage! No major problems. Just routine maintenance and she goes on and on and on and on. I went from a V-8 Mustang to the Saturn and I miss the V-8's power, but my Saturn has plenty to get me where I want to go! I would definitely buy another Saturn.