1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Was really dependable, but ...
By privatedetective on 08/19/10 20:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I can't really complain, the car was very dependable for a long time. I have 136,000 miles on it now. It started having problems a two years ago. Water pump went first, then alternator, and then transmission leaks. I have always had a slow oil leak. Now the temperature gauge is on the fritz. I am thinking of just taking it to the dump and having it put down lol. The ceiling material is falling down, I have thumb tacks holding it up. This happened to my brothers old Saturn also. Plus the car is starting to smell. It's like a old dog I suppose.

Great first car!
By Ecjezl on 04/20/10 08:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I'm 18 years old and this is my first car, and I honestly can't complain. It passed through my mom and my older sister (who ran it into the back of a hummer and over a curb in her years with it) and at 130,000 miles it still runs great with no major problems, despite what it's been through. Plastic bumpers and dent-resistant sides are great for the teen driver -- I was even hit head on and there's no more than a scratch on the bumper. The only complaint that I have is that the sound system is old and wrecked, but that's probably due to misuse and over- use rather than a fault with the car. Overall, it's great.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly- Saturn SC
By John on 04/15/10 00:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. I think this was in a flood because it has had a very unusual repair history. I have not added it up, but the car may have exceeded its original list price in repair bills. The original owner had a stack of receipts & in 3 years I've spent over $2000 on repairs. Always starts - wish it would just die so I would junk it. I don't want to condemn the brand, but I think Saturns come in 3 styles- Good, Bad, & Ugly- I have a really ugly one. I really hate this car & I'm still driving it. If you buy a bad one, donate it & get rid of it. Plan on getting rid of mine soon.+ Getting out of it kills your back & knees nor fat friendly.

Nothing but minor problems
By Saturn Owner on 11/05/09 13:12 PM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 saturn in 2002. Everything was perfect until 2005 (after the warranty expired). Since then everything slowly went on the car to include the back rear windows, brakes (expected), muffler, starter, all 4 tires (expected), ABS module, exhaust pipe cracking, wheel bearings, and now the shift cable. Currently in the shop AGAIN. But the car has lasted, just annoying to keep fixing all of these things. Still cheaper than buying a new car.

Not a Honda or Toyota
By Subaroid! on 09/02/09 01:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought this with around 60k miles, but were told it was mostly towed behind a RV. By about 70,000-80,000 miles things started going wrong. The coolant temp sensor went bad, the power steering rack took a dump, and it began to vibrate excessively at idle. We put motor mounts in it (twice) and it didn't help. The interior is cheap and seems flimsy. Lots of squeaks and rattles and it's noisy inside...lots of road and tire noise. The engine is unrefined, buzzy, and noisy. Gas mileage is disappointing. The Saturn tries real hard to be a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, but falls well short.

the little car that could
By aw on 08/16/09 07:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I love my SW1!!! 200,000+ miles replaced my thermostat, battery, plugs/wires, serpentine belt, brakes, 2 sets of tires and O2 sensor. That's all even still has the original clutch. It still gets 40 mpg. for hwy only it has gotten me 48-52 mpg. Put mid to premium in it big difference. door seals do need replaced but it has lasted with 3 young boys who demolish everything. I would recommend Saturn to everyone.

This car will not die
By jenj2 on 07/13/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I love this little car. I was rear ended three times and nothing ever goes wrong with this car. It is now over 10 years old and still runs great. The only maintenence I ever need to do on it is the uaual oil change and I had to replace the battery due to my own neglagence.

Perfect fit
By Joe Saturn on 07/05/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought for our new 16 year old driver 7 years ago. Perfect for high school parking lots since the plastic paneled doors doesn't show door dings. Perfect for a budget w/29 mpg highway. Perfect balance of power and safety for a new driver. Daughter has moved on to a newer car a few years ago but I still keep the Saturn because it keeps the miles off my other cars while getting great gas mileage.

Best Coupe out of ten
By jim on 07/02/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I have owned over 10 cars (Celicas, Corollas, Camero, Firebird) and have driven many (Honda Civic, Prelude, Volks., etc.), this is the Best over all car I have owned or driven: based on performance, reliability and fuel economy.

98 SC1, underestimated but reliable
By Ben on 04/13/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

Own this car for 7 years, underestimated car in the coupe category even not necessary the top one! Lost cost for maintenance, very reliable, efficient engine (with low fuel consumption for 98 model and still (more efficient & mileage with plus/supreme fuel then regular). No wonder GM integrated this ''test'' engine for Saturn into the other GM line. Only bad note, transmission component to be change every 3-4 years.