Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

I'm keeping it
By jttopanga

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Ordered it from the factory, had BMW and was tired of mechanical problems. Saturn has been truly reliable with 93k. Fast, fast car between 30mph and 115. I live in Southern CA and people drive that fast. Handling is outstanding, I've worked a turbo Porsche and Ferraris in corners of Topanga Cyn. Love the safety and low insurance costs, especially out here. I got my mom a 2000 Saturn Sl2; my dad is now in a Vue, but his Lexus-owning wife took it from him. There is no better small car and the dealership experience is the best.

everything

Turning radius, you have to plan a u turn well

Gas Saving Fun Mobile!!!
By Buya ka sha !!!

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this little car used with 120,000 miles on it. It runs great. A nice 5 speed. I like the independent suspension in the saturn (no solid axels). Handels great. Can put in new suspension for a great ride. Inside is a little crampt but thats because I'm a little fat. A very fun and economical little car. The interior build is a little chinsey, but thats because Saturn needs to save money to compete with the Asian market and the Asian market does not have to employ union workers(costs much more). Buy American and keep our jobs in America. Yahoo. This car is also great to hit into shopping carts at the store. It has dent resistant body pannels.

5 speed, power windows, gas mileage, dent resistant doors.

Spend a little more time and money on interior build.

My safe & sweet reliable ride
By veronica_ving

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Purchased car new & maintained it. Has paid me back via reliability in ALL weather. Now that I'm a mom, I love the child safety features. When I was a grad student, loved the roominess of fold down back seats. Don't understand neg reviews...dealers aren't as warm and "fuzzy" as they were, but car is still great.

Reliability, safety, gas mileage, sleek looks...easy to clean Cheerios out of the back seat. Easy to get under the hood and find my way around.

Traction control button turns on when car turns on. If you don't need it and forget to turn it off, the ride gets noisy & a little rough because the control keeps checking the brakes.

we race it
By scotty too hottie

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My friends parents have one of these and when he takes it out its alot of fun. he has a 5 speed so we race people all the time. we have gotten the this car up to 115 mph! it took a little long and whistles alot at those high speeds but handled well.

none

well, it certainly is a car
By argreenlee

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Not bad in the beginning. But at ~38K miles, the head gasket cracked. So that was $1,000. An air intake problem filled the engine with carbon deposits. Had to have an induction performed -- another costly repair. It's just sort of a cheap vehicle. The interior rattles. I have to use an octane additive about every 2 weeks to prevent horrible knock/ping. I use Restore to fix the compression I've lost. I guess it still runs ok, but I have to put A LOT of effort into making sure it does...and I've got less than 50K on this car. And the worst part...it depreciates faster than most computers. There's almost no resale value for this thing. Uhg!

cheap monthly payments.

I think they've worked out all the bugs in their newer models. But is it too much to ask for floormats? Better head gasket QC.