Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Great little car
By dave27889

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Bought with 125,000 miles on it. It runs really well. It is quite for a small car that is 16 years old. Everything still works well including a/c, power windows, brakes, locks and such. The paint looks great and clear coat is coming off. It is fun to drive and the 1.9 engine gets great gas mileage and has plenty of spunk. Our sw2 has the automatic transmission and it shifts well with no problems. I am 56 years old and have had all kinds of vehicles. This one would rank about a three on a scale of 5 for overall use. It is no firebird or mustang but it is a really great little car.

I think the thing I like most is the little 1.9 double overhead cam engine. It has plenty of get up and go plus the gas mileage is about 24 in town and about 29 highway. The engine has no Trimble at all and if you need to pass the power is there when you need it. We were looking for a minivan but liked this better because my wife and I can both see while backing up no real blind spots.

I wish the cruise control was set up differently. There are to many switches set up around the steering wheel. I would also like the seats to be higher up. I feel like I am sitting on the floor. I would also like the arm rest to have been standard on all cars.

the little car that could
By aw

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

I love my SW1!!! 200,000+ miles replaced my thermostat, battery, plugs/wires, serpentine belt, brakes, 2 sets of tires and O2 sensor. That's all even still has the original clutch. It still gets 40 mpg. for hwy only it has gotten me 48-52 mpg. Put mid to premium in it big difference. door seals do need replaced but it has lasted with 3 young boys who demolish everything. I would recommend Saturn to everyone.

Miles per Gallon, literally saved me thousands

cosmetic items: like middle console cracks, rear upper handles screws will pop out, door seals come loose

Grab it if you can
By paul

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

Fine the interior is kind of cheap looking, but I didn't buy this car in 1998 to compete with a BMW interior. I bought it because a tall person can drive in it (I'm 6"2"), the great gas mpg (I still get 38 highway- beat that in 2007) and there is a lot of storage room with the seat folded down. Get a tape measure and look. It beats the Forester and other small SUV's. The repairs have been extremely small. I replaced the fuel injector and that was the biggest repair. The acceleration is not great, but a good deal of the time the traffic on Long Island is a parking lot. 0 to 60 is not important when the road only goes 20. This is a simple car and cheap to own and repair.

A tall person can drive in it. Great gas mileage. Very few repairs.

At night you get some flaring on the windshield from on coming cars, keep the window clean to help. Take breaks on long drives, the seats can be tiring.

Good Solid Car
By Matt

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I have loved this car. The only true car repair was a motor mount, which was pretty cheap to replace. This is my first Saturn and I've been very impressed. It is a little small for a full family. Would love a few more inches in leg room.

Gas mileage!

Better cup holders, little more horsepower

Pros: Reliability & Exterior Build
By M. Shannon

1998 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Very reliable vehicle, comfortable and easy to drive. I love that I don't have to worry about getting nicks in the door due to the exterior build which seems unlike other vehicles.

Fold down back seat provides more room for stuff in the rear. Child proof locks in the rear seat are a big plus.

Blinker is sticky, should be easier to use. Gas guage stopped working after about 4 years - may need improvement in this area too.