1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Saturn Suspension
By jeromesanders on 04/02/12 08:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

New struts/springs make a big difference. I couldn't be happier with my Saturn now. Rides like new, gets me to and from work almost for free compared to my old work car.

I owe this car a review - It's well earned.
By gtomonster on 04/16/11 23:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I created an account just for the purpose to compliment this vehicle. It's my wifes car, we've had it for about 5 years and 80,000 miles. It's at 166,000 right now and it still runs, drives, and looks great. I'm 6'3" 200lbs so I'm not a fan of smaller cars, but really this isn't too bad. Plain and simple, it is without a doubt the most affordable, most reliable, trouble free car I have EVER owned, been around or known of - Period. I'm my own mechanic, I know cars and I know things like brakes, tires, and mufflers wear out. That's about all we've had to replace on this car - And the best part is all the parts are super cheap! Average of 30 MPG with a driving ratio of 70 hwy/ 30 city

Won't Quit
By Ken H on 08/27/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car. I've had it for 13-years and the only thing I regret is the resale value (the New Beetle sold the same when new, but has twice the value of my Saturn today). I don't have a "lot" of miles on it (only 100,000 because of my job), but everything works like the day I first bought it. It's so good that, rather than trade it in, I'm giving it to my niece when she moves to LA. I didn't pick this off a dealer lot, I built it online and ordered it from the factory, so maybe I'm biased, but I love the car and would buy it again if I could go back in time.

So long Saturn
By mello on 08/21/10 13:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I owned this car for 4 years before it was totaled in a car accident a few weeks ago. This car was a really great value. Only replaced the water pump and the head gasket. Both I did myself and I am an amateur. Parts were cheap and was easy to work on. Gas mileage was great, too. Everyone who drove it commented on how great the engine was. It looks sporty, too. The car held up very well in the accident. I am going to miss this car.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly- Saturn SC
By John on 04/15/10 00:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. I think this was in a flood because it has had a very unusual repair history. I have not added it up, but the car may have exceeded its original list price in repair bills. The original owner had a stack of receipts & in 3 years I've spent over $2000 on repairs. Always starts - wish it would just die so I would junk it. I don't want to condemn the brand, but I think Saturns come in 3 styles- Good, Bad, & Ugly- I have a really ugly one. I really hate this car & I'm still driving it. If you buy a bad one, donate it & get rid of it. Plan on getting rid of mine soon.+ Getting out of it kills your back & knees nor fat friendly.

Best Coupe out of ten
By jim on 07/02/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I have owned over 10 cars (Celicas, Corollas, Camero, Firebird) and have driven many (Honda Civic, Prelude, Volks., etc.), this is the Best over all car I have owned or driven: based on performance, reliability and fuel economy.

98 SC1, underestimated but reliable
By Ben on 04/13/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

Own this car for 7 years, underestimated car in the coupe category even not necessary the top one! Lost cost for maintenance, very reliable, efficient engine (with low fuel consumption for 98 model and still (more efficient & mileage with plus/supreme fuel then regular). No wonder GM integrated this ''test'' engine for Saturn into the other GM line. Only bad note, transmission component to be change every 3-4 years.

Amazing
By owner on 05/20/08 02:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since 48000 miles. It currently has 126000. I've had this car since I was 16. I was kind of hard on it in high school but it still runs like new. It burns a little oil but besides that it runs like a new car, starts right up, and goes on long trips. Plus almost 40MPG is a great success!

Fun for the money
By krod on 04/14/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car a long time ago and I was suprised honestly to see all the bad reviews on this forum about Saturns. My 98 Saturn SC2 has 150K miles on it (its a 10 year old car now). I had an issue with the linkage a while back as most people have talked about, but the original linkage lasted until a year or so ago. The car has issues with overheating in stop go traffic now. The paint has faided over time and on both doors the paint is chipping off slowly around the top of the door. The cuise ctrl no longer works (too much $ to fix). I burn about 1 quart between changes of oil (I do this every 3K miles). For a 10 year old car, it still looks darn good and runs good...considering its age

Looks nice but cheaply made
By Michael on 02/12/08 11:49 AM (PST)

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought brand new in 98 by my ex-wife and I've been driving it since 2002. Although it has a nice look to it and gets fairly decent gas mileage it is very cheaply made. Everything on this car seems to be made of plastic. The sunroof doesn't work, motor's been replaced twice, finally gave up on it. The shift linkage broke and is held together by plastic twist ties. The engine loses about a quart of oil every 3000 miles, no clue where it's going. The valve cover just started leaking. The paint is peeling on the spoiler, around the windows and the roof. With only 85000 miles and having been maintained properly as well, I won't get another Saturn again, not if their all like this.