1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 S-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Underappreciated
By candyyyycane4

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

This car is such an underappreciated and over looked car. I have had this car since I was 16 and now i'm 22. I took my saturn to college with me which was 6 hrs/360 miles away from home. To say the least this car is TOUGH. I have lugged and tugged plenty of stuff up and down the highway in the car. It has made the trip from kentucky to alabama well over 20 times. It has been very inexpensive to maintain and keep and the gas mileage is amazing espcially on the highway. The car is not an eye catcher but atleast it isn't a pocket picker. I have 175k miles on mine and I am finally looking for a new car to replace it with just to get a little more space.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Peppy car

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Saturn Suspension
By jeromesanders

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

New struts/springs make a big difference. I couldn't be happier with my Saturn now. Rides like new, gets me to and from work almost for free compared to my old work car.

I owe this car a review - It's well earned.
By gtomonster

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I created an account just for the purpose to compliment this vehicle. It's my wifes car, we've had it for about 5 years and 80,000 miles. It's at 166,000 right now and it still runs, drives, and looks great. I'm 6'3" 200lbs so I'm not a fan of smaller cars, but really this isn't too bad. Plain and simple, it is without a doubt the most affordable, most reliable, trouble free car I have EVER owned, been around or known of - Period. I'm my own mechanic, I know cars and I know things like brakes, tires, and mufflers wear out. That's about all we've had to replace on this car - And the best part is all the parts are super cheap! Average of 30 MPG with a driving ratio of 70 hwy/ 30 city

Favorite Features

Fun, zippy little car that is ULTRA reliable. It hauls if you run it through the gears to redline - And yes I do, and yes it's fun, and yes it's still reliable! Looks good and sporty from the outside. Plastic body panels are AWESOME! You always have a dent free car. Too bad the Saturn line has retired.

Suggested Improvements

For the cars price range and purpose I don't think you could ask for more. If I wanted to be picky I would suggest better seats, I don't think it's too confortable after about an hour or two of driving.

Won't Quit
By Ken H

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car. I've had it for 13-years and the only thing I regret is the resale value (the New Beetle sold the same when new, but has twice the value of my Saturn today). I don't have a "lot" of miles on it (only 100,000 because of my job), but everything works like the day I first bought it. It's so good that, rather than trade it in, I'm giving it to my niece when she moves to LA. I didn't pick this off a dealer lot, I built it online and ordered it from the factory, so maybe I'm biased, but I love the car and would buy it again if I could go back in time.

Favorite Features

I got mine loaded, so there is a lot I like. Sunroof, cruise control (hate worrying about cops), ABS & traction control, 12-disc cd changer, the list goes on.

Suggested Improvements

Power mirrors on BOTH sides of car, Auto- down for passenger window and sun-roof.

So long Saturn
By mello

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I owned this car for 4 years before it was totaled in a car accident a few weeks ago. This car was a really great value. Only replaced the water pump and the head gasket. Both I did myself and I am an amateur. Parts were cheap and was easy to work on. Gas mileage was great, too. Everyone who drove it commented on how great the engine was. It looks sporty, too. The car held up very well in the accident. I am going to miss this car.

Favorite Features

The ride was great, great pickup. The look was sporty. Parts were cheap and easy to work on as an amateur if you have the repair manual.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights frosted over, but that happens. No real improvements I can think of. Good buy!

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly- Saturn SC
By John

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. I think this was in a flood because it has had a very unusual repair history. I have not added it up, but the car may have exceeded its original list price in repair bills. The original owner had a stack of receipts & in 3 years I've spent over $2000 on repairs. Always starts - wish it would just die so I would junk it. I don't want to condemn the brand, but I think Saturns come in 3 styles- Good, Bad, & Ugly- I have a really ugly one. I really hate this car & I'm still driving it. If you buy a bad one, donate it & get rid of it. Plan on getting rid of mine soon.+ Getting out of it kills your back & knees nor fat friendly.

Favorite Features

None. Interior was designed by ignoramus. Just plain stupid style. The trunk is a hair larger than an MGB. Did I mention I hate this car? Forget about Home Depot or Lowe's- you won't fit anything in it. Favorite feature- saving money. Can't buy anything because it wont fit in car

Suggested Improvements

Donate it. Rescue Squads can carve it up with a jaws of life. Fire Depts can put it out for practice. Demolition derby for a guaranteed loser. Give it to somebody who thinks you like them, but you really don't... Improve this thing, make it right, put in a console, not a tray.

Best Coupe out of ten
By jim

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I have owned over 10 cars (Celicas, Corollas, Camero, Firebird) and have driven many (Honda Civic, Prelude, Volks., etc.), this is the Best over all car I have owned or driven: based on performance, reliability and fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, comfy-leather int., cruise, 37mpg@70mph!

Suggested Improvements

Keep making this model, but I would prefer a hatchback for more cargo room.

98 SC1, underestimated but reliable
By Ben

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

Own this car for 7 years, underestimated car in the coupe category even not necessary the top one! Lost cost for maintenance, very reliable, efficient engine (with low fuel consumption for 98 model and still (more efficient & mileage with plus/supreme fuel then regular). No wonder GM integrated this ''test'' engine for Saturn into the other GM line. Only bad note, transmission component to be change every 3-4 years.

Favorite Features

Polymere chassis, outdoor & indoor design, trunk space & accessibility

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, rubber pieces (windows, doors, trunk)

Amazing
By owner

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since 48000 miles. It currently has 126000. I've had this car since I was 16. I was kind of hard on it in high school but it still runs like new. It burns a little oil but besides that it runs like a new car, starts right up, and goes on long trips. Plus almost 40MPG is a great success!

Favorite Features

Fun and easy car to drive

Suggested Improvements

Ugly interior

Fun for the money
By krod

1998 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car a long time ago and I was suprised honestly to see all the bad reviews on this forum about Saturns. My 98 Saturn SC2 has 150K miles on it (its a 10 year old car now). I had an issue with the linkage a while back as most people have talked about, but the original linkage lasted until a year or so ago. The car has issues with overheating in stop go traffic now. The paint has faided over time and on both doors the paint is chipping off slowly around the top of the door. The cuise ctrl no longer works (too much $ to fix). I burn about 1 quart between changes of oil (I do this every 3K miles). For a 10 year old car, it still looks darn good and runs good...considering its age

Favorite Features

37MPG no matter how I drive it, I have gotten low 40s before! It keeps up with traffic and has decent zip. Bucket seats are comfortable for long trips. Back seats arent big enough to take more than one person on a longer trip though. Rear seats fold down to create massive haul space for small car

Suggested Improvements

Create better jack points, better stability at hwy speeds, stronger gear linkage, put AC where Alternator is, so that alternator could be changed out by owner. For its price it is a realtively safe, dependable and good MPG car. Its no award winning car, but its good for A to B