Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Underappreciated
By candyyyycane4

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

This car is such an underappreciated and over looked car. I have had this car since I was 16 and now i'm 22. I took my saturn to college with me which was 6 hrs/360 miles away from home. To say the least this car is TOUGH. I have lugged and tugged plenty of stuff up and down the highway in the car. It has made the trip from kentucky to alabama well over 20 times. It has been very inexpensive to maintain and keep and the gas mileage is amazing espcially on the highway. The car is not an eye catcher but atleast it isn't a pocket picker. I have 175k miles on mine and I am finally looking for a new car to replace it with just to get a little more space.

Gas mileage Peppy car

NONE

Great little car
By dave27889

1998 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Bought with 125,000 miles on it. It runs really well. It is quite for a small car that is 16 years old. Everything still works well including a/c, power windows, brakes, locks and such. The paint looks great and clear coat is coming off. It is fun to drive and the 1.9 engine gets great gas mileage and has plenty of spunk. Our sw2 has the automatic transmission and it shifts well with no problems. I am 56 years old and have had all kinds of vehicles. This one would rank about a three on a scale of 5 for overall use. It is no firebird or mustang but it is a really great little car.

I think the thing I like most is the little 1.9 double overhead cam engine. It has plenty of get up and go plus the gas mileage is about 24 in town and about 29 highway. The engine has no Trimble at all and if you need to pass the power is there when you need it. We were looking for a minivan but liked this better because my wife and I can both see while backing up no real blind spots.

I wish the cruise control was set up differently. There are to many switches set up around the steering wheel. I would also like the seats to be higher up. I feel like I am sitting on the floor. I would also like the arm rest to have been standard on all cars.

Get one!
By jogbehle

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Grab one now! They are AMAZING cars. It was my first car, my uncle and I re-built the engine on it (had 210,000) and I have since put 40,000 on. I get un-believable gas milage and the car won't quit. Small parts here and there to fix...but they are so basic and easy to work on I've only taken it to the mechanic once (because I didn't have a hoist). Average 42/32 mpg. IT is actually really good in the snow, (front wheel drive/manual) I have passed guys in 4x4 spinning out and sliding while I putt on by with chains. If you are looking for a first car...get this one hands down no questions!

-MPG -Reliability -Ease of Maitnance -doesn't quit...little engine that could! -Big trunk! I've put four surfboards and three guys all in the trunk/cabin area.

-Seats are a little uncomfortable -Can't top 93 :/ -Acceleration is...lacking at best.

Saturn Suspension
By jeromesanders

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

New struts/springs make a big difference. I couldn't be happier with my Saturn now. Rides like new, gets me to and from work almost for free compared to my old work car.

Better MPG then a prius!
By jogbehle

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love it! I got it used with 210,000 miles on it with a siezed engine for 300 dollars. Rebuilt the engine and I have now put almost 20,000 miles on it in less then a year and the car is fine! The transmission and everything else is original and it is acting fine. I get on average 45 mpg hwy, and 32 mpg city. Small enough that if you need to parallel park you and your friend can lift it into the space (its been done). And because of the front wheel drive/manual tranny combo it does amazingly well in the snow!

The MPG!

Seats are a little uncomfortable on long rides.