1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 S-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Underappreciated
By candyyyycane4

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

This car is such an underappreciated and over looked car. I have had this car since I was 16 and now i'm 22. I took my saturn to college with me which was 6 hrs/360 miles away from home. To say the least this car is TOUGH. I have lugged and tugged plenty of stuff up and down the highway in the car. It has made the trip from kentucky to alabama well over 20 times. It has been very inexpensive to maintain and keep and the gas mileage is amazing espcially on the highway. The car is not an eye catcher but atleast it isn't a pocket picker. I have 175k miles on mine and I am finally looking for a new car to replace it with just to get a little more space.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Peppy car

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Great little car
By dave27889

1998 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Bought with 125,000 miles on it. It runs really well. It is quite for a small car that is 16 years old. Everything still works well including a/c, power windows, brakes, locks and such. The paint looks great and clear coat is coming off. It is fun to drive and the 1.9 engine gets great gas mileage and has plenty of spunk. Our sw2 has the automatic transmission and it shifts well with no problems. I am 56 years old and have had all kinds of vehicles. This one would rank about a three on a scale of 5 for overall use. It is no firebird or mustang but it is a really great little car.

Favorite Features

I think the thing I like most is the little 1.9 double overhead cam engine. It has plenty of get up and go plus the gas mileage is about 24 in town and about 29 highway. The engine has no Trimble at all and if you need to pass the power is there when you need it. We were looking for a minivan but liked this better because my wife and I can both see while backing up no real blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the cruise control was set up differently. There are to many switches set up around the steering wheel. I would also like the seats to be higher up. I feel like I am sitting on the floor. I would also like the arm rest to have been standard on all cars.

Get one!
By jogbehle

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Grab one now! They are AMAZING cars. It was my first car, my uncle and I re-built the engine on it (had 210,000) and I have since put 40,000 on. I get un-believable gas milage and the car won't quit. Small parts here and there to fix...but they are so basic and easy to work on I've only taken it to the mechanic once (because I didn't have a hoist). Average 42/32 mpg. IT is actually really good in the snow, (front wheel drive/manual) I have passed guys in 4x4 spinning out and sliding while I putt on by with chains. If you are looking for a first car...get this one hands down no questions!

Favorite Features

-MPG -Reliability -Ease of Maitnance -doesn't quit...little engine that could! -Big trunk! I've put four surfboards and three guys all in the trunk/cabin area.

Suggested Improvements

-Seats are a little uncomfortable -Can't top 93 :/ -Acceleration is...lacking at best.

Saturn Suspension
By jeromesanders

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

New struts/springs make a big difference. I couldn't be happier with my Saturn now. Rides like new, gets me to and from work almost for free compared to my old work car.

Better MPG then a prius!
By jogbehle

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love it! I got it used with 210,000 miles on it with a siezed engine for 300 dollars. Rebuilt the engine and I have now put almost 20,000 miles on it in less then a year and the car is fine! The transmission and everything else is original and it is acting fine. I get on average 45 mpg hwy, and 32 mpg city. Small enough that if you need to parallel park you and your friend can lift it into the space (its been done). And because of the front wheel drive/manual tranny combo it does amazingly well in the snow!

Favorite Features

The MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Seats are a little uncomfortable on long rides.

I owe this car a review - It's well earned.
By gtomonster

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I created an account just for the purpose to compliment this vehicle. It's my wifes car, we've had it for about 5 years and 80,000 miles. It's at 166,000 right now and it still runs, drives, and looks great. I'm 6'3" 200lbs so I'm not a fan of smaller cars, but really this isn't too bad. Plain and simple, it is without a doubt the most affordable, most reliable, trouble free car I have EVER owned, been around or known of - Period. I'm my own mechanic, I know cars and I know things like brakes, tires, and mufflers wear out. That's about all we've had to replace on this car - And the best part is all the parts are super cheap! Average of 30 MPG with a driving ratio of 70 hwy/ 30 city

Favorite Features

Fun, zippy little car that is ULTRA reliable. It hauls if you run it through the gears to redline - And yes I do, and yes it's fun, and yes it's still reliable! Looks good and sporty from the outside. Plastic body panels are AWESOME! You always have a dent free car. Too bad the Saturn line has retired.

Suggested Improvements

For the cars price range and purpose I don't think you could ask for more. If I wanted to be picky I would suggest better seats, I don't think it's too confortable after about an hour or two of driving.

323,000 miles and still going strong!
By serine459

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Saturn SL2 5 speed manual new in 1998 and I can't believe after 323,000 miles that it is still going strong. Yes I have had to replace many things, but never anything major like a transmission. It is now burning oil but you would expect that at this point. It has been great not having a car payment for the last 8 years. If you want a basic car that gets you from point A to point B this would be the car. I am just disapointed that GM discontinued the Saturn. I will be sad to see my Saturn go when the time comes.

Fairly Reliable Ride That Lasted 13 Yrs
By Kristen

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 9/1997, fully loaded with all the options. For the price, you really can't complain. Gets excellent gas mileage, ABS + Traction control allow the car to handle well in the snow, parts are cheap to replace/repair, and it's a compact, sporty ride. I upgraded the deck and speakers early on (something I highly recommend doing, given the subpar stock unit). Major problems with the car throughout the years related back to the engine - the SL models burn oil like crazy. I've been adding oil every couple of fill ups for at least 6-years. Transmission is going out now at 138K; upgrading to a nicer ride.

Favorite Features

Compact, sporty ride. I found it fun to drive. Great gas mileage. Fairly reliable for the price tag. Fits taller people (I'm 6'0) easily with the front bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Engine burns oil/revs RPMs in park (what I affectionately call it "trying to drive itself"). Sunroof has been replaced once, and still doesn't work. Cheap construction/parts, but you pay for what you get.

Reliable and Safe!
By sgc

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for 800 as is and only needed a muffler for a sticker. Didn't come with power steering but cause the car only weighed 2,300 lbs I didn't even need P/S! All the parts for it were cheap, plugs and wires cost me 30 bucks at most. Very easy to work on too! lots of room in the engine bay. Had to change the motor (might have over rev it.) Great on gas too! I got 36 MPG@70 mph! IT also handled great with the multi link suspension in the rear makes the back roads fun and with confidence! Sadly it was totaled in a crash but my friend and I walked away unharmed. By far most reliable and safest car out there!

Favorite Features

Plastic body panels so it wont rust! great on gas, Ice cold A/C and blistering hot Heat, cheap and easy to fix and Great handling. Also the fold down seats!

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, any long distance drives left my back sore

Not bad, but a lot of little problems
By boldaker

1998 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

This is my second Saturn. The first was a station wagon. I thought the constant rattling was a flaw in the wagon, but this one rattles constantly too. I've had the same problems others have had. The door seals have been loose since I bought it. All of the overhead handles have come off (and they weren't used). It burns through oil really quickly. I have to add a quart a month between oil changes. I see there are people who have gotten 35+ mpg. I have only ever gotten 24 mpg. Now the ignition isn't working. The key won't turn on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd try. It can take up to 5 minutes of trying to start the car. I haven't had major problems, but I'm very disappointed with it.

Favorite Features

It's cute, and it hasn't had any major engine/systems trouble. Interior space was good until my teenagers hit the height of 5'10".

Suggested Improvements

Parts seem cheap and easily breakable. The constant rattling and vibration when idling is extremely irritating. Also my second Saturn with key trouble (one was locks; this one is the ignition). New keys don't help. It's the internal mechanism.