1997 Saturn S-Series Consumer Review: The only Reliable American Car

1997 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Review

SL1 Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

The only Reliable American Car
By Greg on

1997 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have owned a couple of Saturns and they have all been great. I am speaking of the reliable aspect of the vehicle. My first Saturn (1993) I sold to my sister and she still drives it today with 240K on it. My current Saturn has 220K on it. It runs very well and I have to put nominal money into it- just regular maintenance. There is road noise like wind, tire, and engine however. That I can do without. But, when you drive a honda, it is no different. The only difference is the Saturn is American and is much cheaper to repair.

Favorite Features

I have personally worked with Saturn through a Chem Lab. There is no other American Co that I have worked with that was dedicated to Quality the way they were. GM took a larger role in Saturn around 2001/2002, which included going with a cheaper third party foundry and lower fuel standards. Too bad-

Suggested Improvements

Work on the road, engine, and wind noise. Otherwise this is a great car. Dedicate new Saturn vehicles to the old standard of quality, not quantity. And get away from GM! I have worked with them too- arrogant x 10! Why not build a car again that competes with the Civic.