1997 Saturn S-Series Consumer Review: I really love this car!

1997 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Review

SL2 Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I really love this car!
By xeroxalto on

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I really love my Saturn. This is my second and I bought it for the fuel mileage. I bought it at 160k for $1500 and did not problems with it until 180k when the motor lost power. The mechanic said it was probably because the timing belt was not replaced as he had seen that before. I very sadly sold if for $500 and the man who bought it put another motor in it and sold it back to me for $2500. We're at 205k now. A few tanks ago I took it on a 800 mile trip and I got 40.5 mpg highway so I can't complain. About 33-34mpg around town more if your paying attention to mileage. Besides the motor I haven't had to do much to it. It uses oil but that's what Saturns do. Just keep at it. ; )

Fuel mileage. 33-40 is what we get. My wife gets about 33 and I get around 36 around town but I try to hypermile a little. I'm sure I get better as the odometer doesn't work when the ignition is off. It's rather sporty for a simple guy like me. If I get on it it will go and handles nicely on large curved off ramps at 60mph. The rear fold down seats are nice.

I have aftermarket wheels which really makes the car look a lot better. I also have a K&N air filter which I imagine helps on the mileage.