1997 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Reliable, Good-Looking, and Fun
By Bryan on 03/03/08 13:57 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

My wife and I have really enjoyed owning our '97 Saturn SW2 wagon. Originally purchased for my wife, it has been a reliable and decent-looking family car. The 16V motor has been strong. It's tuned for more torque in the lower RPM range, so it's great for driving around town. We definitely enjoyed the wagon body style. It has hauled our family of 4 on extended vacations. I use it daily to haul either a mountain bike or surf board. It has held up really well for 11 years. Most people are shocked to hear that it actually that old.

Great value
By 2-term saturn driver on 02/10/08 14:27 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in 2004 to replace my the same model (2002 edition) which I had put 220,000 miles and decided to upgrade. This car has been excellent in reliability and the body style is much improved (no pop-up headlights anymore) than the previous SC2 years. Overall a great value for anyone who doesn't mind giving up the plush luxury car for a very reliable, fuel- efficient, decent car.

A Fun Commuter
By Millefune on 02/04/08 08:08 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 97 SC2 for about a year now, and the overall experience has been positive. With a feather foot on the throttle, I'm getting an combined mileage of 38-42 MPG with 85% highway and 15% city. It's amazing how this car is getting hybrid mileage if driven right. It's also pretty peppy for a car of its age, and it feels really light on turns. Actually, the steering feel and turn-in response is really good. Of course, the suspension could be more sporty, but for stock... it's pretty good. Not too much roll or plow. It feels like a front-wheel- drive Miata sometimes! Of course, this is all relative to a car that was only around $10K-13K when it was new. It's an entertaining econobox!

Review of 97 Saturn SL-1
By BSwift on 01/09/08 08:55 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60,000 miles on it in 2002. The day after I drove it off the lot, the car over-heated on my way down the highway. Little did I know at that time, that was just the beginning of my problems. The car overheats in the summer if you sit in traffic too long. The electrical system is a joke, if I use the car lighter, I have to replace a fuse or the car won't turn on. Needless to say, I can't use it. The car is very loud due to cheap parts on the inside. Everything rattles! The material from the ceiling of the car feel off. I have manual windows, and the drivers side broke, it won't roll down or up. The acceleration is terrible. To summarize, it drives like a go-cart.

Excellent Value
By Ferris_Bueller on 01/08/08 11:20 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new nearly 11 years ago. It has exceeded our expectations in many ways. It is simply a reliable, fuel economic vehicle. Very few problems, and we are approaching 188,000 miles, and it still runs well. We also still get about 32 MPG in combined City/Highway driving. The interior space is pretty good for a compact car. It does burn oil, but that is what happens to most cars with so many miles. Our complaints are few: The interior has mostly cheap plastic. It is also a little loud when driving. But these things are hard to avoid for such an inexpensive vehicle.

Great, Dependable Vehicle
By rawsonfour on 12/29/07 18:23 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car as a graduate from college. It had 19,000 miles on it. It now has right around 100K. I've now got a family of four, but when we were deciding whether to upgrade or not, we realized we couldn't beat the gas mileage. It's the perfect commuter car. It seldom needs work; it's paid off, and when it does need work, when spread out over the year it beats a hefty car payment any day. We've only had one major repair in the entire time we've owned it; replacing the shifting rods to the transmission (manual.) Cost: $700. Other costs were usual wear and tear: tires, upkeep, etc. Highly recommend. We'll drive until it croaks. It will be a sad day when we have to give it up.

Very reliable!
By gabbyciara on 10/12/07 14:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 5 years now. It has 184,000 miles on it. I've drove this car to the ground! It's still running fine.The only major thing that I've replaced was the transmission. But with that many miles and the way I drive it, it was meant to go out.

Good Work/Beater/1st car
By Alpha Phi Altima on 04/08/07 15:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car in 2004 with 66k miles. I found it to be very reliable, tough and cheap to fix. The problems that came up were due to low quality factory parts(exhaust system crapped out at 67K miles,leaky transmission filter), but replacement parts are very inexpensive. It started every time and never let me down. The fuel range was pretty bad, 150-200 miles most of the time. Saturn definitely builds them right but refinement is another story.

Not what I expected
By Jenn on 04/01/07 15:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Everyone told me Saturn was a great, reliable car. So when I started having problems, I was a bit surprised. The whole dash rattles badly all the time, which gets really annoying. I've had problems with the car overheating over mountain passes and nobody can figure out why. The fuel efficiency is okay, but still not as great as I would like (about 26 mpg city). I took one road trip across state and the starter got too hot and the car wouldn't start. Replacing parts is a nightmare (9 hours to replace the alternator) since everything is compacted and on top of each other. Very slow pick-up (what can you expect with a V-4). Nice starter car, but next time, I'm going with something fun to drive!

Great Gas Mileage
By Logical-Nonsence on 03/29/07 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Pick the Saturn out the impound like most the cars I get. Paid $500 cash. Car in great shape inside and out. Been driving it for 15 months now with no problems. It's agreat car with gas prices going out the roof. I normally dont care for Chevy prouducts but I will say my hat's off to Chevy on this one. I think I'll keep the car for few more months. Being I don't normally keep cars more then 6-7mnths at a time. This one having such good gas mileage made me keep it around!