1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
I Love My Little SW2
By Robbie on 03/27/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought my '97 SW2 9 years ago with only 15K miles on it. I guess the original owner didn't like the car. Since then I have put on over 100,000 miles and the only major repair was replacing the AC compressor. Sure, the seats are only sightly more comfortable than sitting on a cardboard box, but this car has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Still looks good, too - thanks to the plastic body panels.

Why can't GM make more like this?
By Tourist1292 on 05/22/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I put 109k miles on this car in 13yr. It survived in an accident at 45mph and nobody got hurt. Gas mileage has not changed since day 1. Some oil consumption since last year that needs to top off once between oil change. It has been very reliable otherwise. There was one major repair to replace the wobbling timing chain within the 7yr after market extended warranty. Other than regular oil changes and tune-up, I spent less than $3000 on this car including the cost of extended warranty, deductibles for repairs, 1 after warranty repair, and 3 brake jobs plus ~$900 on two sets of Michelin tires. Just sold it without working AC and rear wiper fluid spray today at 1/8 or original cost.

Best car ever owned
By little green sat on 04/03/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

We had to sell our truck when we found out we were going to be parents. We decided to look for a small car that would be good on gas and most important a reliable car. We took a look at this green saturn wagon and decided it was great so we bought it. It has been the best car we could have imagined. It now has 157,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have had to replace the ECT, crank posistion sensor, and just maintaince stuff which if pretty easy on this car. Even with the AT I get 38+ MPG on the highway, and highway driving is almost all I do. It was really nice when gas was 4 bucks a gallon to have this car. The brakes are the second set and still at 40%. I love it

Tranny problems
By mike on 03/06/08 08:44 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

I own a Saturn wagon I bought it when it had 75000 miles on it 3 weeks later the transmission actually exploded and I spent 3500 dollars on a brand new one and have been driving it for about a month and im having more problems with the new transmission it makes funny noises while slolwing down but overall its a good little car. It will soon be a manual transmission

Reliable, Good-Looking, and Fun
By Bryan on 03/03/08 13:57 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

My wife and I have really enjoyed owning our '97 Saturn SW2 wagon. Originally purchased for my wife, it has been a reliable and decent-looking family car. The 16V motor has been strong. It's tuned for more torque in the lower RPM range, so it's great for driving around town. We definitely enjoyed the wagon body style. It has hauled our family of 4 on extended vacations. I use it daily to haul either a mountain bike or surf board. It has held up really well for 11 years. Most people are shocked to hear that it actually that old.

Great, Dependable Vehicle
By rawsonfour on 12/29/07 18:23 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car as a graduate from college. It had 19,000 miles on it. It now has right around 100K. I've now got a family of four, but when we were deciding whether to upgrade or not, we realized we couldn't beat the gas mileage. It's the perfect commuter car. It seldom needs work; it's paid off, and when it does need work, when spread out over the year it beats a hefty car payment any day. We've only had one major repair in the entire time we've owned it; replacing the shifting rods to the transmission (manual.) Cost: $700. Other costs were usual wear and tear: tires, upkeep, etc. Highly recommend. We'll drive until it croaks. It will be a sad day when we have to give it up.

Saturn SW2
By Joel on 02/15/06 17:02 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Overall its a great fuel efficient wagon. It has plenty of room/storage space and it has more than served its purpose. I think it just needs to be touched up some. It could ride a little smoother and maybe a little less plastic, however for the price its been nice and with about 100,000 miles its still running great.

4 dr SW2 owned from 1997
By Ramana on 01/14/06 16:12 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I am driving this car for 9 years (my first car in US). It has 5spd manual transmission. The only repairs I had to do were (1) replaced passenger seat belt at about 42K miles, (2) replaced a part in the transmission ($400 incl. labor). I drove 100k+ miles and it still gives me 28-31 mpg. Over all, it is a great car, very reliable and does not cost much to maintain.

I lived to tell...Saturn 7
By Saturn 7 on 01/09/06 00:16 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

My experience with this 1997 SW1 have been excellent in many more ways that I can't describe. 12/02/2005, I wrecked into a semi-tailer. Trailer parked in my lane without lights. I walked out of back seat door without any broken bones, scratches, blood of any kind , nor a broken neck. I lost my car, but I'm alive to talk and walk the experience. The seat belt and air bags worked perfect.

Saturn SW2 Cost-effective transportation
By Eil33n on 08/09/05 11:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

This vehicle has been practical, economical, and reliable. With routine servicing only, it's never in the shop. It gets me to work on the coldest days and has cost little in operating, repair, and insurance. No bragging rights, but it's easy on the pocket book. Enough power for the freeway and lively around town. It fits me to a T.