1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
I really love this car!
By xeroxalto on 12/22/11 21:16 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I really love my Saturn. This is my second and I bought it for the fuel mileage. I bought it at 160k for $1500 and did not problems with it until 180k when the motor lost power. The mechanic said it was probably because the timing belt was not replaced as he had seen that before. I very sadly sold if for $500 and the man who bought it put another motor in it and sold it back to me for $2500. We're at 205k now. A few tanks ago I took it on a 800 mile trip and I got 40.5 mpg highway so I can't complain. About 33-34mpg around town more if your paying attention to mileage. Besides the motor I haven't had to do much to it. It uses oil but that's what Saturns do. Just keep at it. ; )

Dont buy saturns
By Joya on 02/11/10 18:26 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought the Saturn at about 110,000 miles. Right away the head gaskets blew. We replaced the engine and continued to have complications, especially after 144,000 miles. The power window control for the back seat window, behind the driver's seat stopped working. We had to constantly replace parts, such as the radiator, thermostat, water pump, ect. Every month something had to be replaced. It always broke down after long trips. Saturns generally don't last for more than ten years. I wouldn't buy another one

Good Car
By Jon G. on 12/03/09 11:30 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Saturn SL2 for 7 years with no major problems beyond minor repairs. It's never broken down on me except one time when the battery needed to be replaced. I started with 64,000 and now have 189,000 miles on it, driving through rush hours traffic every day to work. It has been a good and dependable car. I've taken it on multiple long distance trips without any problems. The road noise is not very good in this car and the only annoying thing has been that my power locks and windows have not worked correctly (some not at all) for the last couple of years. Besides that I would say this is a good and dependable car that doesn't cost too much and hasn't required much maintenance

Great car
By mike on 06/03/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 129000 miles and a rebuilt title. It had been rear ended and rebuilt. The day after I bought it I drove over 2500 miles to Alaska and did not have a problem. Drove it back to Utah the long way (over 3500 miles) and then to Arizona and never had a problem. I averaged 38- 42 mpg on the long trips and 32 in the city. The car ran great and I never had any problems. After 1 year and 25000 miles I was involved in a front end collision and they totaled it out. I wish I had it back. I have always had issues sitting in cars for long trips but the seats in it fit me well and I was always comfortable.

Saturns seem to age quicker at 60000 mi.
By Stephen K on 05/11/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car from a private party at 60,000 miles, it had low mileage for its years and was in pretty great condition for its age. Unfortunately time seems to catch up to Saturns with a vengeance. By 70K miles there were issues with various electrical systems and both the rear power windows and the A/C compressor failed, by 75K miles both rear power windows wouldn't raise anymore, and the engine died at 93500 miles, 2000 miles after the last oil change, because the oil change light didn't come on and the car was running rough. BEWARE of electrical issues on older Saturns!! Other than that, it was a little workhorse...in performance mode (not standard).

Not Bad
By pbolt on 04/20/09 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 130K, now have 139K on it. Bought to save on gas and keep my truck in the garage. It is now my dependable, little work car. Small on the inside for someone 6' or over (I'm 6'4") but I get 33 mpg+ and my truck only gets 18, so I love it. For a plastic car, its not bad but it rattles like a can of spray paint. Put new plugs in when I bought it and the dealership had just replaced the clutch. Other than that, no problems to report. I drive it to see my folks and that is a 6 hour drive. Not a bad car.

Got hit by a semi and walked away
By KM on 12/04/08 14:59 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Have had this car 10 years & have taken care of it. It's served me well. Last week a semi hit me twice, once broadside, on a 45 mph hwy and I walked away with just some bruises -- and the car still drives. Will buy Saturn again.

Great Car!
By Guillermo on 10/16/08 23:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

This was the first car that I bought and it had 115,000 miles when I got it. Never the less the car has always been a reliable vehicle. Also servicing the car is very cheap, about $22 for an oil change at Firestone. The only "major" problem that I've had with this car was replacing the ignition switch which cost me $120 at the Saturn dealer and it came with a free 2 year warranty. I also replaced the tires due to normal wear and they cost me $250 and they also came with a 3 year warranty. This car is very reliable and very cheap to service or repair (except for the transmission like in all cars!) if the need be. I highly recommend it.

What do you expect?
By brianschmizzle on 07/24/08 05:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

My father in law bought it for my wife when she was still in high school with 74000 miles on it. It burned oil slightly at the time but he told me to keep it full of oil and water and we'd be fine. Well...100,000 miles later and all I've done to it is replace the tires, 2 tie rods, and a lot of oil! I still take the car for my long trips because it is ridiculously reliable! Yes it is noisy, uncomfortable, loud, and the stereo system sounds like a junior high band, but the car got us through college with no more than $180 worth of maintainance! Sweet deal if you ask me.

Still Rolling
By Timbo on 05/23/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Since my wife and I bought our SL2 we have had very little maintenance other than regular oil changes, tune ups and brakes. We bought a 2005 L300 that has required more maintenance than my SL2. The car is cheap to maintain, requires little maintenance and is good on gas. I have had some BSR's crop up over the years, but they are all fixable for little to no money. The car is fun and sporty, yet still responsible. As the car gets older I am finding that I would prefer to simply restore this car rather than buy another new one. This era of car was Saturn's best in my opinion.

1 2 3 4 5 next »