Used 1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

I really love this car!
By xeroxalto

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I really love my Saturn. This is my second and I bought it for the fuel mileage. I bought it at 160k for $1500 and did not problems with it until 180k when the motor lost power. The mechanic said it was probably because the timing belt was not replaced as he had seen that before. I very sadly sold if for $500 and the man who bought it put another motor in it and sold it back to me for $2500. We're at 205k now. A few tanks ago I took it on a 800 mile trip and I got 40.5 mpg highway so I can't complain. About 33-34mpg around town more if your paying attention to mileage. Besides the motor I haven't had to do much to it. It uses oil but that's what Saturns do. Just keep at it. ; )

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage. 33-40 is what we get. My wife gets about 33 and I get around 36 around town but I try to hypermile a little. I'm sure I get better as the odometer doesn't work when the ignition is off. It's rather sporty for a simple guy like me. If I get on it it will go and handles nicely on large curved off ramps at 60mph. The rear fold down seats are nice.

Suggested Improvements

I have aftermarket wheels which really makes the car look a lot better. I also have a K&N air filter which I imagine helps on the mileage.

Dont buy saturns
By Joya

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought the Saturn at about 110,000 miles. Right away the head gaskets blew. We replaced the engine and continued to have complications, especially after 144,000 miles. The power window control for the back seat window, behind the driver's seat stopped working. We had to constantly replace parts, such as the radiator, thermostat, water pump, ect. Every month something had to be replaced. It always broke down after long trips. Saturns generally don't last for more than ten years. I wouldn't buy another one

Favorite Features

I liked the size of the car. It was a very comfortable car. Good on gas

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability. Better quality parts. Head gaskets

Good Car
By Jon G.

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Saturn SL2 for 7 years with no major problems beyond minor repairs. It's never broken down on me except one time when the battery needed to be replaced. I started with 64,000 and now have 189,000 miles on it, driving through rush hours traffic every day to work. It has been a good and dependable car. I've taken it on multiple long distance trips without any problems. The road noise is not very good in this car and the only annoying thing has been that my power locks and windows have not worked correctly (some not at all) for the last couple of years. Besides that I would say this is a good and dependable car that doesn't cost too much and hasn't required much maintenance

Favorite Features

It doesn't have any blind spots, which is nice. It is easy to drive and good gas mileage, especially on the highway (about 32-33 miles/gallon)

Suggested Improvements

Make it so the road noise is not so loud.

Great car
By mike

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 129000 miles and a rebuilt title. It had been rear ended and rebuilt. The day after I bought it I drove over 2500 miles to Alaska and did not have a problem. Drove it back to Utah the long way (over 3500 miles) and then to Arizona and never had a problem. I averaged 38- 42 mpg on the long trips and 32 in the city. The car ran great and I never had any problems. After 1 year and 25000 miles I was involved in a front end collision and they totaled it out. I wish I had it back. I have always had issues sitting in cars for long trips but the seats in it fit me well and I was always comfortable.

Favorite Features

MPG's, reliability, and it was CHEAP!!

Suggested Improvements

Too low to the ground made it hard to get in and out of. Needs a better designed center console (with lid), dash rattled, stock stereo was cheesy.

Saturns seem to age quicker at 60000 mi.
By Stephen K

1997 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car from a private party at 60,000 miles, it had low mileage for its years and was in pretty great condition for its age. Unfortunately time seems to catch up to Saturns with a vengeance. By 70K miles there were issues with various electrical systems and both the rear power windows and the A/C compressor failed, by 75K miles both rear power windows wouldn't raise anymore, and the engine died at 93500 miles, 2000 miles after the last oil change, because the oil change light didn't come on and the car was running rough. BEWARE of electrical issues on older Saturns!! Other than that, it was a little workhorse...in performance mode (not standard).

Favorite Features

Performance/acceleration boost was good in performance mode (HORRIBLE in standard mode). Decent gas mileage. Body durability held up (but not the clearcoat..)

Suggested Improvements

Design with thicker cables/wiring to prevent electrical systems from failing.