Used 1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

not to bad for the value
By dustingalb

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

This was the best vehicle ive had so far. Only minor repairs to it, and its 14 years old now and still driving it. has some seatbelt issues, but its fun to drive. It lacks some acceleration but what 1997 vehcile isnt ha.

cruise control works fine no issues with that, defrost doesnt work. overall has alright features

needs better engine mounts, engine seals need some improvment.

Nice for a while
By Erin

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I went to college. It was sporty and I loved it. Then all of a sudden everything started to break on it. I couldn't keep up. First the sunroof, then the A/C, then the starter, then the windshield started leaking, then the rear defrost quit working (among many small and major things). The cost to fix these things were more than the car was worth. Once it was in the shop for 4 months because they couldn't figure out what was wrong! I might have gotten a lemon, but I can't even save up for another car because I am putting too much money into this car to keep it running.

very little blind spots, sporty for a 13 year old car, nice gas mileage

Uncomfortable for long trips, doesn't run smooth-kind of bumpy, and there is no gauge for volts or oil.

Keeps on Truckin'
By T Arnell

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I love this car-as a single woman, reliability is a MUST. Of course, I have kept well maintenaced but runs like a trooper. I was broadsided about 4yrs ago by big Chrysler. The policeman & insurance agent both told me the only reason I lived was because of the double steel bars in the door. Still runs great. The clearcoat is starting to peel but the gas mileage is great. I'll drive til it stops.

I will miss Christine! (fr Stephen King)
By Melissa

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

My EX-son-in-law picked this car for me after my Geo died. For $750, and 187,000 miles, I was VERY skeptical. Not the type of car I would buy, bright red is a little flashy for my 60 yr. old taste. Then everything started to go. The clutch, alternator, brakes, water pump, ball joints, tie rods,I was beginning to think she was EVIL! Put about $1500 into her and then all of a sudden I had this amazingly reliable, great on gas, goes thru any weather vehicle! Christine gave me back the joy of driving with her 5 spd pickup and great handling Sadly, high mileage oil use and 1 bad cylinder has me looking for another vehicle. Even on 3 she has more get up and go than any 4 cylinder car I've had.

250,000 miles and still going! Safety! was in an accident where my back bumper only had a scratch and the other car had a totalled front end. No rust on any part of car and I live in upstate NY. Still new looking! Never had any problem with lights, turn signals,well designed. Fold down back seats.

Since they are no longer being made, I would just warn people that the trunk is tiny, power window motors and AC failed on mine Interior gets very hot because their is so much glass so check before buying used, or be ready to pay to fix them.

Piece of junk dont waste your money
By zap101392

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

has 127,000 on it and it has problems weekly my girlfriend has had it in the shop every month since she bought it, Transmission problems, stalls, wont start, speedometer and tach dont read accuratly, radiator leaks, burns a little oil, Headlight plastic discolors over time and makes for a very dim set of headlights. Now about the car it likes to wander on the road sound system stinks ,accelerations is terrible, seats are very very uncomfortable Yet the car was perfectly fine when it was purchased the only good thing about the car is the gas mileage about 27-34 mpg

if you don't mind putting it in the shop all the time then it is good for the gas mileage

Make a better quality car