1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
not to bad for the value
By dustingalb on 03/15/12 03:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

This was the best vehicle ive had so far. Only minor repairs to it, and its 14 years old now and still driving it. has some seatbelt issues, but its fun to drive. It lacks some acceleration but what 1997 vehcile isnt ha.

Nice for a while
By Erin on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I went to college. It was sporty and I loved it. Then all of a sudden everything started to break on it. I couldn't keep up. First the sunroof, then the A/C, then the starter, then the windshield started leaking, then the rear defrost quit working (among many small and major things). The cost to fix these things were more than the car was worth. Once it was in the shop for 4 months because they couldn't figure out what was wrong! I might have gotten a lemon, but I can't even save up for another car because I am putting too much money into this car to keep it running.

Keeps on Truckin'
By T Arnell on 02/15/10 14:26 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I love this car-as a single woman, reliability is a MUST. Of course, I have kept well maintenaced but runs like a trooper. I was broadsided about 4yrs ago by big Chrysler. The policeman & insurance agent both told me the only reason I lived was because of the double steel bars in the door. Still runs great. The clearcoat is starting to peel but the gas mileage is great. I'll drive til it stops.

I will miss Christine! (fr Stephen King)
By Melissa on 02/12/10 09:39 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

My EX-son-in-law picked this car for me after my Geo died. For $750, and 187,000 miles, I was VERY skeptical. Not the type of car I would buy, bright red is a little flashy for my 60 yr. old taste. Then everything started to go. The clutch, alternator, brakes, water pump, ball joints, tie rods,I was beginning to think she was EVIL! Put about $1500 into her and then all of a sudden I had this amazingly reliable, great on gas, goes thru any weather vehicle! Christine gave me back the joy of driving with her 5 spd pickup and great handling Sadly, high mileage oil use and 1 bad cylinder has me looking for another vehicle. Even on 3 she has more get up and go than any 4 cylinder car I've had.

Piece of junk dont waste your money
By zap101392 on 02/28/09 12:14 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

has 127,000 on it and it has problems weekly my girlfriend has had it in the shop every month since she bought it, Transmission problems, stalls, wont start, speedometer and tach dont read accuratly, radiator leaks, burns a little oil, Headlight plastic discolors over time and makes for a very dim set of headlights. Now about the car it likes to wander on the road sound system stinks ,accelerations is terrible, seats are very very uncomfortable Yet the car was perfectly fine when it was purchased the only good thing about the car is the gas mileage about 27-34 mpg

Pleasantly surprised with used Saturn
By vedi on 09/20/08 00:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

After my teen-age daughter wrecked our one remaining family car, I was in desperate need of transportation. A co-worker sold me her Saturn for $800. Our little car takes everybody where they need to go with ease and efficiency. We have made several long distance trips recently and the car has been reliable, fantastic on gas and comfortable for two adults and two elementary school age kids in the back. Despite the fact that the A/C doesn't work, interior is worn and the shift linkage is held together with tie rods I still prefer to drive it over our newly inherited Yaris. Friends who also recently purchased used Saturns are equally pleased. It's a fun car to drive, good recommendation here!

Wish they still made this one
By mjw on 08/17/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this new and have had it 11 years. Apart from interior damage due to careless kids driving it is a great way of getting from A to B. If it were left to me, Saturn would have only improved the interior design and left the model alone. I still get comments about the "new" car, as on the outside you'd never guess it was 11 years old. Still gets great mileage, and the only money I've spent on it was for a new gear lever part that snapped apart when going into reverse. Just buy brakes, batteries, and tires, and of course, gas! As I said, "wish they still made them."

Great value
By 2-term saturn driver on 02/10/08 14:27 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in 2004 to replace my the same model (2002 edition) which I had put 220,000 miles and decided to upgrade. This car has been excellent in reliability and the body style is much improved (no pop-up headlights anymore) than the previous SC2 years. Overall a great value for anyone who doesn't mind giving up the plush luxury car for a very reliable, fuel- efficient, decent car.

A Fun Commuter
By Millefune on 02/04/08 08:08 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 97 SC2 for about a year now, and the overall experience has been positive. With a feather foot on the throttle, I'm getting an combined mileage of 38-42 MPG with 85% highway and 15% city. It's amazing how this car is getting hybrid mileage if driven right. It's also pretty peppy for a car of its age, and it feels really light on turns. Actually, the steering feel and turn-in response is really good. Of course, the suspension could be more sporty, but for stock... it's pretty good. Not too much roll or plow. It feels like a front-wheel- drive Miata sometimes! Of course, this is all relative to a car that was only around $10K-13K when it was new. It's an entertaining econobox!

Reliable car at a very decent price
By Pitt Panther on 03/09/06 22:28 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

227000 miles folks. Need I say more? Having bought this car at a Goodwill auto auction for about 700 dollars(with about 211k at the time), I'd say i've gotten the value out of this car at least 10-fold. At first I was a bit skeptical, but after a while I fell in love with it...that's right, I fell in love with a Saturn. Oh sure, poke fun. But as far as I'm concered, this is one of those "too good to be true" things that actually lives up to its claim. It works fine, and I only take it to the shop for oil changes. It is absolutely the best purchase I've made in a long time.

1 2 3 4 5 next »