1997 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
not to bad for the value
By dustingalb on 03/15/12 03:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This was the best vehicle ive had so far. Only minor repairs to it, and its 14 years old now and still driving it. has some seatbelt issues, but its fun to drive. It lacks some acceleration but what 1997 vehcile isnt ha.

I really love this car!
By xeroxalto on 12/22/11 21:16 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I really love my Saturn. This is my second and I bought it for the fuel mileage. I bought it at 160k for $1500 and did not problems with it until 180k when the motor lost power. The mechanic said it was probably because the timing belt was not replaced as he had seen that before. I very sadly sold if for $500 and the man who bought it put another motor in it and sold it back to me for $2500. We're at 205k now. A few tanks ago I took it on a 800 mile trip and I got 40.5 mpg highway so I can't complain. About 33-34mpg around town more if your paying attention to mileage. Besides the motor I haven't had to do much to it. It uses oil but that's what Saturns do. Just keep at it. ; )

I Miss My SL
By hard2convince on 09/17/11 08:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 SL new, and drove it for 181,000 miles. For 14 years, this car was near-perfect, with some minor repairs I would add up to wear & tear. Mostly was just change the oil and keep on going. It's still going for the new owner. Alas, I miss my SL. So, a couple problems I had were that the shifter cable assembly broke twice, at about 90K miles each. The original clutch went for 160K. Minor annoyances were that the light for the radio and the oil warning light didn't work, so had to check my oil regularly. Used alot of oil. Mechanics said it didn't burn oil or leak, just "consumed" it.

Nice for a while
By Erin on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I went to college. It was sporty and I loved it. Then all of a sudden everything started to break on it. I couldn't keep up. First the sunroof, then the A/C, then the starter, then the windshield started leaking, then the rear defrost quit working (among many small and major things). The cost to fix these things were more than the car was worth. Once it was in the shop for 4 months because they couldn't figure out what was wrong! I might have gotten a lemon, but I can't even save up for another car because I am putting too much money into this car to keep it running.

Long time Saturn owner
By JackieD on 07/18/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Saturn used in 2001 from the dealership. I was the second and the last owner of the car. Although the "check engine" light remained on for most of the past five or six years it was a dependable go to work car. I will always recommend a Saturn to anyone who asks my opinion. My Saturn saved my and my daughter's life due to its good construction and duel airbags. My Saturn is totaled but will not be forgotten.

I Love My Little SW2
By Robbie on 03/27/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought my '97 SW2 9 years ago with only 15K miles on it. I guess the original owner didn't like the car. Since then I have put on over 100,000 miles and the only major repair was replacing the AC compressor. Sure, the seats are only sightly more comfortable than sitting on a cardboard box, but this car has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Still looks good, too - thanks to the plastic body panels.

Keeps on Truckin'
By T Arnell on 02/15/10 14:26 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I love this car-as a single woman, reliability is a MUST. Of course, I have kept well maintenaced but runs like a trooper. I was broadsided about 4yrs ago by big Chrysler. The policeman & insurance agent both told me the only reason I lived was because of the double steel bars in the door. Still runs great. The clearcoat is starting to peel but the gas mileage is great. I'll drive til it stops.

I will miss Christine! (fr Stephen King)
By Melissa on 02/12/10 09:39 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

My EX-son-in-law picked this car for me after my Geo died. For $750, and 187,000 miles, I was VERY skeptical. Not the type of car I would buy, bright red is a little flashy for my 60 yr. old taste. Then everything started to go. The clutch, alternator, brakes, water pump, ball joints, tie rods,I was beginning to think she was EVIL! Put about $1500 into her and then all of a sudden I had this amazingly reliable, great on gas, goes thru any weather vehicle! Christine gave me back the joy of driving with her 5 spd pickup and great handling Sadly, high mileage oil use and 1 bad cylinder has me looking for another vehicle. Even on 3 she has more get up and go than any 4 cylinder car I've had.

Dont buy saturns
By Joya on 02/11/10 18:26 PM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought the Saturn at about 110,000 miles. Right away the head gaskets blew. We replaced the engine and continued to have complications, especially after 144,000 miles. The power window control for the back seat window, behind the driver's seat stopped working. We had to constantly replace parts, such as the radiator, thermostat, water pump, ect. Every month something had to be replaced. It always broke down after long trips. Saturns generally don't last for more than ten years. I wouldn't buy another one

Good Car
By Jon G. on 12/03/09 11:30 AM (PST)

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Saturn SL2 for 7 years with no major problems beyond minor repairs. It's never broken down on me except one time when the battery needed to be replaced. I started with 64,000 and now have 189,000 miles on it, driving through rush hours traffic every day to work. It has been a good and dependable car. I've taken it on multiple long distance trips without any problems. The road noise is not very good in this car and the only annoying thing has been that my power locks and windows have not worked correctly (some not at all) for the last couple of years. Besides that I would say this is a good and dependable car that doesn't cost too much and hasn't required much maintenance