Used 1997 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1997 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

not to bad for the value
By dustingalb

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This was the best vehicle ive had so far. Only minor repairs to it, and its 14 years old now and still driving it. has some seatbelt issues, but its fun to drive. It lacks some acceleration but what 1997 vehcile isnt ha.

Favorite Features

cruise control works fine no issues with that, defrost doesnt work. overall has alright features

Suggested Improvements

needs better engine mounts, engine seals need some improvment.

I really love this car!
By xeroxalto

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I really love my Saturn. This is my second and I bought it for the fuel mileage. I bought it at 160k for $1500 and did not problems with it until 180k when the motor lost power. The mechanic said it was probably because the timing belt was not replaced as he had seen that before. I very sadly sold if for $500 and the man who bought it put another motor in it and sold it back to me for $2500. We're at 205k now. A few tanks ago I took it on a 800 mile trip and I got 40.5 mpg highway so I can't complain. About 33-34mpg around town more if your paying attention to mileage. Besides the motor I haven't had to do much to it. It uses oil but that's what Saturns do. Just keep at it. ; )

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage. 33-40 is what we get. My wife gets about 33 and I get around 36 around town but I try to hypermile a little. I'm sure I get better as the odometer doesn't work when the ignition is off. It's rather sporty for a simple guy like me. If I get on it it will go and handles nicely on large curved off ramps at 60mph. The rear fold down seats are nice.

Suggested Improvements

I have aftermarket wheels which really makes the car look a lot better. I also have a K&N air filter which I imagine helps on the mileage.

I Miss My SL
By hard2convince

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 SL new, and drove it for 181,000 miles. For 14 years, this car was near-perfect, with some minor repairs I would add up to wear & tear. Mostly was just change the oil and keep on going. It's still going for the new owner. Alas, I miss my SL. So, a couple problems I had were that the shifter cable assembly broke twice, at about 90K miles each. The original clutch went for 160K. Minor annoyances were that the light for the radio and the oil warning light didn't work, so had to check my oil regularly. Used alot of oil. Mechanics said it didn't burn oil or leak, just "consumed" it.

Favorite Features

I bought a plain-jane car with no frills. Not even a cassette or cd player, just radio. In 14 years, the dash never cracked, the seats were still comfortable, with no rips or tears. A/C still cold. Had to replace headliner, though. Thanks to the plastic body panels, nicks in the paint never resulted in rust. I still averaged about 30 mpg mixed driving. The Check Engine light was on forever, but I never had engine problems. The car had pretty good acceleration and handled well, was very roomy inside and easy for my 80+ yr old mom to get in & out. Big, roomy trunk. Excellent visibility. Overall, very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

For what I paid for a bottom of the line car, I don't know what could have been improved. Saturn had the right idea with the plastic body panels, and I think more manufacturers should consider the value a no-dent no-rust exterior gives to the owner. Although the Saturn brand's quality declined with later models (I have a 2007 Ion), I wish GM would resurrect the brand and take it back to its roots.

Nice for a while
By Erin

1997 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I went to college. It was sporty and I loved it. Then all of a sudden everything started to break on it. I couldn't keep up. First the sunroof, then the A/C, then the starter, then the windshield started leaking, then the rear defrost quit working (among many small and major things). The cost to fix these things were more than the car was worth. Once it was in the shop for 4 months because they couldn't figure out what was wrong! I might have gotten a lemon, but I can't even save up for another car because I am putting too much money into this car to keep it running.

Favorite Features

very little blind spots, sporty for a 13 year old car, nice gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Uncomfortable for long trips, doesn't run smooth-kind of bumpy, and there is no gauge for volts or oil.

Long time Saturn owner
By JackieD

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Saturn used in 2001 from the dealership. I was the second and the last owner of the car. Although the "check engine" light remained on for most of the past five or six years it was a dependable go to work car. I will always recommend a Saturn to anyone who asks my opinion. My Saturn saved my and my daughter's life due to its good construction and duel airbags. My Saturn is totaled but will not be forgotten.

Favorite Features

Duel airbags and rear flip down seats.