Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1996 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Most Helpful|
Cracked Head Problem
By Tracy B

1996 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought my Saturn brand new 8 years ago. I had all of the required checks done on it, and aside from a #2 gear replacement, I have never had a problem...until now. One of the cylinder heads is cracked, and there was never any indication of a problem until I checked my fluids and noticed oil mixing with the coolant. Apparently, this is a defect in this type of engine. This will be a minimum of $1500.00 to fix, about equal to the worth of the car in good shape. Buyers beware! Fixing this problem is no longer covered by Saturn or GM!

Favorite Features

I always liked the way Saturn coupes looked. I also like my CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Larger wheels and tires!

Good used car.
By ALICE

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I purchased this vehicle in 2002 for 3900. It only has 89900 miles on it. I've had to replace front brakes and also a bracket that held up the altenator which was pricey since it was so hard to get to. Overall, a good dependable little car. I've put off buying new because mine has less mileage than some cars 4 years old. I think it may have been wrecked before I bought it; always a gamble when opening the trunk as it might not close. Also, paint fading on hood badly. Would definitely buy another Saturn product. 12 years old and still going strong. Although, indicator lights go on and off for no reason! Always keeps me guessing. I have it tuned up every year and oil changes.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, dependability. Always starts right up, even on the coldest winter morning.

Pretty Good Car
By saturndude

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

The Saturn 96 SC2 has been my first car and I plan to keep her until she dies. I have had her for around 8 months now and she hasn't brought me any real problems except from conditions left from the previous owners. It's a small car so it's recommended for single or a couple. She has great gas mileage and gas is pretty easy on her. I have her on 139,000 from 133,000 when I got her. One thing I've noticed is she is very fragile for the snow, but she is very agile in the spring, summer, and fall.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, cheap maintenance, and mobility.

If you're looking for a cheap, reliable ride...
By ladystardust

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my dad back in 2004 with 140K miles on it. It now has about 213K, and the engine is running great - it's performed almost like a Japanese car. Other than routine maintenance (oil changes, the odd tune up, new tires) the only things I've had to replace on this car were an engine mount and a rear windshield (the windshield can't be blamed on the manufacturer - some kid smashed it one night). The cosmetics of the car aren't great, but what do you expect from a car that's been kept outside for over a decade? It needs a little oil added about once every other tank. But it gets amazing gas mileage (about 29 in town and almost 40 on the highway).

Favorite Features

It just keeps going! Oh, and it has a remote, and dimming headlights. No one expects a car this old and this cheap to have those things.

Suggested Improvements

Saturn has bitten the dust; when this car goes, I'm looking into something with more horsepower.

Poor Saturn
By sad about my saturn

1996 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

My Saturn is a 96 with 45K on it (amazing I know). I put 30K on it in 3 years, and I've had some similar problems, but overall I loved my car! Come to find out the cylinder head cracked, just as everyone elses'. What a disappointment! It's not worth fixing, since I still owe on the car, but now I wonder if the ION can do any better long term...is it worth it??

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, radio, sporty look, great manual drive, GREAT gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

NO room in the back seat (the ION does a little better) and next time, fess up to your faults, you'll maintain a more loyal consumer fan base...