1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Not Good
By karen george on 12/29/04 11:46 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Nothing but problems. Feel like I am sitting on the floor. Sensors come on all the time. Should have bought a Honda. Way too much road noise. Dash had ticking sound and I heard another person in the service waiting room complaining about the same thing.

Nice Starter Car
By AW on 12/22/04 15:25 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 SL2 in 2000. Worked great, didn't need any repairs the first 4 years. Had a few accidents, but the car still ran fine. My only issues are that the engine made TOO MUCH NOISE and the car shook and had bad wind resistance. The interior looked a little cheap, but with the price of the car, I couldn't complain. LOVED the dent resistant side panels. BMW's, Benzes, etc. don't have them. The gas mileage is excellent. The back seat isn't good for adult passengers. Overall, it was a good buy. I only traded mine in two months ago because it needed about $600 worth of repairs and I didn't know what else would eventually go wrong. But for an 8 year old car, that's not bad.

College Car
By farmbabe on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

It's a 500mi round trip from home to college which i make almost every weekend to work; it gets 37mpg highway and about 30/32mpg city. Had to do new brakes (pads & roters) but that was expected when i purchased it. Had a flat tire, it was a nail, nothing to do with the car. Insurance is not bad at all, although it did go up about $10 this past 6mo (NYS)

Don't Buy Saturn
By mimi2 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Don't Buy it. Service Dept lies about problems. Many issues over and over again with car engine, parts, etc. Car @ 155k miles totally starts fallin apart. Struts, cylinders, radiator, compressor, fuel system. You name it, it died. Had to donate it to Salvation army instead of selling for decent price. Only good thing, paint still good, gas milage (down to 28 mpg- still good), and cold air when compressor works.

Best American Compacts
By S-Car Guy on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I ever bought, and I liked it so much I now own two! Never any problems ever with eaither of them. Looking at some of the other ratings really upset's me. Those who say they have all theese problems so the woulden't reccomend Saturn, especially the one who bought the car with 120,000 mi on it. What do you expect with that milage, probably form a private seller. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Saturn dealer are happy to give the Service hisory for ANY Saturn out there. That's what I did and I got two gems. Saturn's are definatly better than there foreign competition. 115,000 miles and and exterior that sines like new is proof to that.

Saturn no more
By Donovan's driver on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

For the third time I've had the same electrical problem with my car - the dash, amber & red running lights go out, though everything else works. This was a good car when I first got him, but I just want to get him through inspection, then it's dig out the title & trade him in. And since they've discontinued the SL2, it'll be another make/model.

Not Reliabale
By ekim15963 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I got this car with 120000 and the transmtion went out. Cost me 1600 dollars to fix. I then put a alpine cd player in it and it fried the stock power wirer for the radio. Two months and one thousand miles later the trans. went out again. Not a very good car to own!

purchased a lemon
By C Jackson on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This vehcile has been a compliant nightmare. It's cost me thousdands in repair. Had I have purchased it brand new it probally wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately purcashing a used vehicle was the only way I could afford a new car at the time. I've replaced the engine, fuel pump 2-3x, fuel filter, flushed the fuel rails, waterpump, along with the normal regular schedule maintence done to a vehicle. And I stil owe 4500 on this car that isn't worth 5.00. My advise to anyone buying a car, do your homework first. This includes wehre the car is from.

Good little car
By spiffy on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1996 SC2 in 2002 with 65,500 miles on it. OVerall i am happy with the car. It is fun to drive and handles well. Have had some mechanical problems that probably shouldn't have happened. The gas mileage is excellent (almost 40mpg on highways) and the people at saturn have been great with my repairs. The interior could be better as mine rattles all over the place. As it gets older i find that chaniging my oil is becoming more of a necessity (used to be after 3000 miles the oil would still look great). I am comfortable inside the car, but a bigger person wouldn't fit, and the backseats are useless.

A poor purchase
By D.Levan on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a "certified" used Saturn and noticed excess oil use at first change. Conditon worsened to the point that I used a quart in less than 100 miles. Had seals replace - no good. Diagnosis by non-Saturn mechanic is cracked head and subsequent bad rings. I got the service records from the dealership and they clearly indicate that this vehicle had ongoing problems, this was the opposite of what they said when I purchased the car. Saturn admits to oil burning and various problems, but doesn,t help much with problems. I would not under any circumstance recommend the purchase of a Saturn.