1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Safest Car I Ever Owned
By Jason on 12/12/06 19:05 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I loved my Saturn. I'm fixing to buy a new one. Never had any problems with it. Great gas miliage and extremely safe. I was in a car accident on the freeway and the driver that sideswiped me bounced down the the side of the car and I walked away untouched. Thanks for making such a safe car Saturn.

Not too bad
By the ox on 04/10/06 16:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I currently own an '02 VW with modifications and bought the Saturn as a daily driver (I work in Baltimore so I can't drive the VW) This car has been great, not the best build quality or fun to drive but as a car to get you from point A to point B it has been every bit as good as my old Corolla.

Good little car
By Maureen on 11/15/05 16:23 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

My husband bought me this little car 10 years ago. It worked well for me. I was a stay at home mom, and the budget was tight. My insurance went down, my gas bills went down, and I had no maintenance bills other than routine oil changes,ect. Two things have gone wrong in ten years. The windshield broke (it was cracked from a rock that fell off a truck) and finally a year later it was hit again, it broke. Second the alternator went. That's it. It just will not die! lol It's a good little car.

I don't think I will ever sell this car!
By Rxdude on 09/05/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 5 years ago, used. It is the best decision in car buying I could have made. With gas prices the way they are and the fact that my '96 Gold SC2 is paid off, driving my car around never felt better. Some other Saturn owners made have had problems, I think it is due to maintance and upkeep. Costs of maintance and repair are high. That is why I do my own work on my car. It's cheaper!! Another reason is the fact that my sc2 is all power and tons of extras!! sunroof, foglamps, spoiler,etc I would buy another saturn some day however they don't build them like mine anymore and the quad coupe they have now is just too large and not sporty enough.

A fun, reliable car
By skinerd on 08/22/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

i purchased my SC2 about a 1 1/2 years ago and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done. It gets great gas mileage (38 mpg on hwy) and surprisingly it has a lot of power for only a 1.9L engine. The only thing I've ever had to do on the car besides general maintenance is fix the linkage on the transmission. It has definitely been a great car for me and i would recommend it to anyone. I have been around several of these models of Saturns and noticed head problems on many of these but mine experienced none. (I guess regular oil changes paid off) The car does have guages and not dummy lights. The front seats are comfortable, but adults should not try sitting in back seats.

dependable to...
By Brian on 07/17/05 12:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Been good to 100K. Replaced wdo regulator. another now out. engine leaks oil (1 qt or more every 1K). Rpl'd rad 3 mon. ago. now had to repl tranny 3 weeks ago (went used since car is not worth much). has 191K now (put on 30-40K/yr). hope to hold together for another year or 2 when I plan to replace w/Toyota.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned
By Owneda96SL2 on 03/12/05 10:22 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I recently traded "up" from my 1996 Saturn SL2 to a 2002 VW Passat- BIG MISTAKE! The Saturn was the most reliable car ever, best car for the money, although not at all luxurious. I didn't have ANY problems with it until it was 8 years old, and then it was only about $500+ worth of maintenance. Considering the age of the car, I decided to trade it in before more work needed to be done. Considered the Saturn L series, but heard too many complaints about resale value and price, so I bought the Passat. I realize now how much I appreciated the extremely low maintenance required on the Saturn- just the routine oil change, tire rotations, occasional tune-up, and those were all cheap. Great Car

Poor Saturn
By sad about my saturn on 03/09/05 15:20 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

My Saturn is a 96 with 45K on it (amazing I know). I put 30K on it in 3 years, and I've had some similar problems, but overall I loved my car! Come to find out the cylinder head cracked, just as everyone elses'. What a disappointment! It's not worth fixing, since I still owe on the car, but now I wonder if the ION can do any better long term...is it worth it??

Awesome
By Jared on 01/26/05 10:38 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have owned a Honda, a Toyota, even a Jaguar, and besides the Jag my saturn is the best of the two. Performance wise and reliabilty wise it matches up with my Jag. Awesome work those guys in Spring Hill are doing. Definitely buying another one.

Not Good
By karen george on 12/29/04 11:46 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Nothing but problems. Feel like I am sitting on the floor. Sensors come on all the time. Should have bought a Honda. Way too much road noise. Dash had ticking sound and I heard another person in the service waiting room complaining about the same thing.