Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1996 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Solid All Around
By dan.t

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car we purchased in 2003 as an extra car that would become the kids car. It has an outstanding manual transmission, as well as a powerful engine for what it is. I am always shocked at how the quick the motor is. Interior headliner is sagging like crazy though, which is about the only negative to this vehicle. I can average almost 30 mpg with this car though, which is great.

Favorite Features

Quick 4 cylinder engine, Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

stickier headliner

Good gas mileage
By Good gas mileage

1996 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

My wife purchased the car new before we got married. We have owned it for over almost 13 years. The best trip was OH to TN and got almost 50mpg. We now have 240,000 miles on it and it still gets 34+in town and between 40 and 45 on the highway. We took a trip to Niagara Falls summer of 2008 and on the way back had 48mpg. We change the oil every 3,000 miles. Did have a right wheel bearing go out. It is fun to drive with the manual transmission. It still has the original clutch and transmission. When it finally dies, it will be a sad day. I plan to replace it with another Saturn S series but in the 2000 to 2004 year range. Thanks Saturn.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and manual transmission is great,

Suggested Improvements

Tape deck has finally died. Install cruise control on manual transmission vehicles. Lower prices on parts so when light bulb and reflector crack or break, it doesn't cost over $150 to have it fixed.

SC2 fun to drive
By Christine

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought an SC2 a year ago with 144K on it. Needed to put our Tahoe aside for awhile because of the gas prices. We already knew the sc2 was a good little car after purchasing one for our son the previous year(a 95) We've had the 96 SC2 for a year so far trouble free. We love this little car. Fun little car to drive. Great gas mileage. Not very roomy especially the back seat, but if you need to vehicle for a trip to home depot, it's great to have the back seat that goes down to give you alot of trunk space. I prefer the SC2 over the other Saturns because I like the sporty look. If you plan to have a lot of backseat passengers, then it's not the car for you.

Favorite Features

Sleek sporty look, decent trunk space, hideaway lights, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Roomier back seat, anything large in the cupholders interferes with shifting

Good used car.
By ALICE

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I purchased this vehicle in 2002 for 3900. It only has 89900 miles on it. I've had to replace front brakes and also a bracket that held up the altenator which was pricey since it was so hard to get to. Overall, a good dependable little car. I've put off buying new because mine has less mileage than some cars 4 years old. I think it may have been wrecked before I bought it; always a gamble when opening the trunk as it might not close. Also, paint fading on hood badly. Would definitely buy another Saturn product. 12 years old and still going strong. Although, indicator lights go on and off for no reason! Always keeps me guessing. I have it tuned up every year and oil changes.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, dependability. Always starts right up, even on the coldest winter morning.

Never again
By christin

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had to do numerous expensive repairs on this car. We did our homework before buying- but still seemed to find a lemon. The transmission had to be worked on a number of times. The moonroof is leaking water into the interior. Both power windows in back have broke, and the AC hasn't worked for years! I won't be buying a Saturn again,

Favorite Features

It used to be the moonroof