Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

1996 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

400,000 km
By jimmy123

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

First of all, I never write reviews. my 96 Saturn sl2 died today. Actually coolant started spraying out from the motor. I have had this car for about ten years, besides the regular maintenance, i have changed the muffler and 2 tie rods. the car is boring and plain, BUT it is VERY reliable. it will be sad tomorrow watching it being picked up by the tow truck for scrap. I am already looking at buying a more recent sl2 just because of the reliability

Gas mileage was incredible Reliability was for me unreal. Who would think you can get that kind of mileage from a G.M.

Boring as hell Loud motor

I love My Saturn
By Aaron

1996 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

My Saturn car was an early graduation gift from my uncle. We purchased the car for $650. The only problem Ive had with it is the water pump going out. The sunroof never worked when I got it, but I never even open the visor. My car is a little noisy, but I just passed it off as being a small car. After my previous car, which had much more room, with a much more spacious interior and a much more powerful engine, it was just a little shock that a car could sound so loud. I've learned to love this Saturn and a newer, fancier one is in view.

The Spacious front seats, the design of the dash board, and the power the four-banger puts off.

A larger engine would be nice. Maybe dropping a 3.8 L V6 would boost performance.

Saturn SL2
By djohn910

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in dec of 06 for 2700. Two months later the starter goes out, 9 months after that the alternator goes out, 4 months after that the starter goes out again. The sun-roof has leaked since day one, causing the leather seats to crack, my driver side window not to roll down, the radio has been completely fried due to the leaking sun roof. I would not by a saturn with a sun roof ever again. Drinks way too much oil. I put 2 quarts every week in it. Have oil changes every 1000 miles.

Great gas mileage (only costs $20 to fill up and I can ride for a week and a half), very cold ac,

The sun roof needs to be fixed to where it does not leak. Something needs to be done about how much oil it uses.

It's a good car
By It's a good car

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 2 years as of the 27th of December. It's a good car, but u must keep up with it. I've had to replace my intake gasket, get a motor mount, and constantly keep oil in. I just replace a fuel injector and a EGR valve a few months ago, but other than that it's a good little car. I have another year to keep before I give it up.

Intake gasket needs a lot of work to it, and the fuel injector needs to handle cheap gas, or it will mess the fuel injector up like it did mine. Very costly

Everything I Expected
By Ridyen

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Saturn SL1 new and it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Not a fancy car but one that always gets you from point A to B. Like others a very minor problem with the shift linkage which was fixed by dealer even though it was out of warranty. Took on a deer at 50mph, car stopped straight with both hands off steering wheel (was covering my face for protection). Very solid car for the money. Son and I just put a new cylinder head on at 150K but total cost was about $600 which included tools, the head, gaskets, all new hoses etc. Put it back together, started it up and son drove it home. Still gets 37mpg after 14 years. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Milage, Reliability. Plastic body panels

Better locations for cup holders. Little more quality into seats and interior.