1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
I love this car!
By stefaniejl on 01/22/08 09:21 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a few months now, and I fell in love with her. Very safe, sturdy, and not at all tinny. The engine is very clean, and the car burns very little oil. Responsive steering and brakes. I will never, ever sell this car.

Awesome Value
By shaggyismbm on 12/17/07 19:32 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $1300 and it was a great deal. It had 175,000 miles on it and it ran like a new car. It handles well, the motor is quick, the trunk is roomy. The only problems I had were the speedometer quit on me a while back (also my odometer) and my alternator went out. I would guess the car has about 250,000 miles on it now. It was a great value. Oh yeah and I hit a deer in it and it didn't even knock out the headlights. I drove off just fine with only a little body damage. Nothing major just a bent up hood. (I wish I could post a picture)

Fun to drive and economical.
By kb9ygf on 10/01/07 19:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 100,000 miles on it, after meeting several other S-car owners. After driving it for an additional 80,000 miles, I find my experience parallels theirs. If you read the owners manual and follow the maintenance schedule, the car will deliver. My car is eleven years old, uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles( normal change interval for me) and runs and looks great. The key is routine care.

215,000 and still going
By Jay on 08/19/07 09:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We put lots of miles on our cars and we love our Saturn. We're looking for another SL as our daughter is getting ready to head off to college soon. Always starts and gets great gas mileage 33 mpg in the city!

Not the Worst Car I ever owned
By htkirbys on 08/02/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

But not the best, by far. At 140,000 miles, I have had to donate it to the Kidney Foundation because the transmission locked up. It was noisy from the start, including clicking noises. The alternator was replaced 3 times. Lower engine rebuilt under warranty; upper at my expense. Total repairs paid for, about $2,500. Came to hate the low seat. Nice body, good stainless steel exhaust system. Would not recommend buying one with over 80,000 miles on it. Wish I had bought a Toyota Corolla instead; this car was a mistake.

Nothing Works
By D Stevens on 07/25/07 10:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

My first brand new car, never again. The day I drove it off the lot an interior panel fell off and it's been down hill from there. Four new sunroofs, new carpet, front bumper fell off, has never shifted properly (manual) new radio, massive oil leak and frankly Saturn could care less. The dealership puts bandaids on the issues waiting for the warranty to expire. I needed a 5th sunroof at 38,000 miles Saturn would do it for $1200, maybe they should have dealt with the issue 4 roofs ago. At 130,000 miles the roof is now leaking. Tried to trade but not worth anything!!!

I Love My Car, But...
By strendgirl on 07/22/07 13:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 1/2 years. I had to replace the fuel pump about 8 years ago. The moonroof started leaking 6 years ago, and it continues to leak. I've had to replace the "head gasket" (I don't even know what that is), and it has been leaking oil for the past 3 years. Now, the power windows in the back don't roll up and the A/C broke a few months ago. Also, for the past 4 years, I've had problems where the engine doesn't start if it's warm, i.e. if you stop at a Starbucks and the engine hasn't cooled off, it doesn't start, but if you wait a few hours it will. But the 3 times I've taken it to a technician, they cannot reproduce the problem.

Saturn is a very underrated vehicle!
By Jack Yedvobnick on 02/15/07 14:10 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used (1 year old) and have driven it for over 8 years and 100,000 miles. Besides an ac problem (covered under warranty), we've had no problems. We haven't even had a brake or muffler job! I highly recommend the Saturn. If more of you had purchased one, GM would have made Saturn the model for the rest of their divisions and we wouldn't be having a crisis in our auto industry.

One problem besides brake sensors
By Martin Bashinski on 02/08/07 16:39 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have140,000 miles on it. I have driven to Texas from California two times. The only problem I've had is the service engine light turns on when I use the air conditioner. It won't turn off until I shut the car off 3-5 times. First it was the neutral sensor and the transmission sensor. I am slill dedecated to the big three.

Good car for the money
By emc07 on 02/02/07 21:01 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I bought my SC2 Coupe in 2002 and I have to say this has been a great car to own. I have had very few problems. In 5 years I have only had to replace the tie-rod, and that's really it. I have the leather seats, and I must say in the summer they are so hot they burn my legs, also in the winter they are freezing! The gas mileage is great! It accelerates well and is faster than I expected it to be. The back seats are way too small, and the interior is so little my head almost hits the roof and I'm 5'5. Overall, I really enjoy having this car.