Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

she just keeps going!
By alohalady

1996 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I love this car! I resisted buying an American car, but this baby has blown my mind. With the plastic panel sides, she still looks amazing in Vermont which has a knack for eating cars from the inside out.These cars come with ABS and Traction Control which was amazing in the snow. Now as I look for a new car I'm really wishing that i can just get another SW1 Or maybe Sw2 which has a bit more power. Can fit an adult size bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. I could stand a little more power but what can you do!I currently have 204,688 miles on it, and I bought it at 91,000 after much trepidation and many hours of research I went for it and couldn't be more pleased!

Favorite Features

Traction Control, ABS, daytime running lights. Being able to find it right away in a parking lot full of Subarus! Great gas mileage also!

Suggested Improvements

make more

DON'T BUY
By quadski

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bout my saturn sl with 121,000 miles on it last november since then i have put on 15,000 miles. It ran fine at first burning just a quart here and there which is usual, but then in about february my transmission blew. It didnt end there after i got tht replaced i kept having more nd more problems. the oil problem kept getting worse and worse ik have to buy a case of 12qts a month i just replaced my drive axel my tie rod ends nd now i have to do my ball joints. it seems it just doesnt end with this vehicle i would not recomend it for anyone like me who is on a tight student budget and can barely afford the oil and gas much less repairs

Favorite Features

my favorite feature is the gas mileage to bad the oil burning makes it pointless. another nice feature being 6'3" i fit in this car somewat comfortably considering i have seat all the way back

Suggested Improvements

Make it so this vehicle doesnt need so many repairs at once. Fix the oil problem. Make the transmision more durable.

I LOVE My Saturn
By beelor

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2002 with 60k miles. I kept up with routing maintenance. Repairs were consistent with normal wear and tear and never anything major. Had 185K miles on the car last week when a lady cut me off and my car was totaled and I am heart broken but my little car protected us from receiving serious injuries. It did leak oil as is common with this model because of the valve cover gasket. I still got almost 40 mpg on highway and 30 mpg city. This is the best car I ever owned in 40 years of car ownership. My little Saturn did die a noble death. I am looking for another used Saturn and would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable economical auto.

Favorite Features

The manual transmission provided great gas mileage.

Don't Buy
By brittnb

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I got this car because I had to. I regret it. This is the cheapest made car I have ever owned. My back windows won't stay up no matter what I do. I have them duct taped at the moment. My car shakes and rattles and no one can figure out why. I had to replace the radiator and muffler. The muffler has been replaced twice actually. It goes through oil very fast and I have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or so. I have to put coolant in it every other week or so. The one good thing about this car is it gets great gas mileage. I do not recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

GREAT car; fuel-sipping
By Vince

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with about 160,000 miles on it for $900. Put about $1,500 into it since then (rebuilt motor due to lack of oil changes, not my fault!). This is my dad's car, but I drive it every so often. He commutes 80 miles a day, five days a week. We live in Michigan, so this car has been through it all! Absolutely FANTASTIC on gas! It handles great and accelerates pretty smoothly. 221,000 miles on it now, and plenty more to go! Starts up like brand new in 20 weather. Flip-up lights, defrost, A/C, power windows/locks still work! Highly recommend! Only cons: not too much interior room, cup holder location is annoying. Would drive to Florida and back! Who have proof that American cars last!

Favorite Features

Superb gas mileage and peppy engine. Front seats provide plenty of room. Handles great!

Suggested Improvements

Speakers are cheap, some rattles from interior paneling and dashboard. It's a coupe, so I won't complain that back seats are cramped.