Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

If you're looking for a cheap, reliable ride...
By ladystardust

1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my dad back in 2004 with 140K miles on it. It now has about 213K, and the engine is running great - it's performed almost like a Japanese car. Other than routine maintenance (oil changes, the odd tune up, new tires) the only things I've had to replace on this car were an engine mount and a rear windshield (the windshield can't be blamed on the manufacturer - some kid smashed it one night). The cosmetics of the car aren't great, but what do you expect from a car that's been kept outside for over a decade? It needs a little oil added about once every other tank. But it gets amazing gas mileage (about 29 in town and almost 40 on the highway).

Favorite Features

It just keeps going! Oh, and it has a remote, and dimming headlights. No one expects a car this old and this cheap to have those things.

Suggested Improvements

Saturn has bitten the dust; when this car goes, I'm looking into something with more horsepower.

Great little car
By bwright06

1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had my 96 saturn for about the last 7 years. It was bought used by my grandparents and then sold to me when they wanted a new one. I didn't have a lot of problems with it at all in these last 7 years. Have never had any big issues until recently. Has 196,000 miles and I have a bad cylinder. Unfortunately I have to find a new car before mine really stops running. I was very pleased overall and it just seems like a fluke that I did not get more miles out of it. I am now looking at a 1999 Saturn SL2...so obsessed with the Saturn.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, heats up quickly, not a lot of big issues.

Suggested Improvements

Only some small things have gone wrong...windshield wipers started acting up, one of the windows stopped working, the car makes the ding noise when it shouldn't, sometimes the dome light won't turn off and the defrosters only works when it wants to. Also guzzles oil and the AC compressor has issues. These things aren't terribly bad for being 16 years old.

DON'T BUY
By quadski

1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bout my saturn sl with 121,000 miles on it last november since then i have put on 15,000 miles. It ran fine at first burning just a quart here and there which is usual, but then in about february my transmission blew. It didnt end there after i got tht replaced i kept having more nd more problems. the oil problem kept getting worse and worse ik have to buy a case of 12qts a month i just replaced my drive axel my tie rod ends nd now i have to do my ball joints. it seems it just doesnt end with this vehicle i would not recomend it for anyone like me who is on a tight student budget and can barely afford the oil and gas much less repairs

Favorite Features

my favorite feature is the gas mileage to bad the oil burning makes it pointless. another nice feature being 6'3" i fit in this car somewat comfortably considering i have seat all the way back

Suggested Improvements

Make it so this vehicle doesnt need so many repairs at once. Fix the oil problem. Make the transmision more durable.

I LOVE My Saturn
By beelor

1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2002 with 60k miles. I kept up with routing maintenance. Repairs were consistent with normal wear and tear and never anything major. Had 185K miles on the car last week when a lady cut me off and my car was totaled and I am heart broken but my little car protected us from receiving serious injuries. It did leak oil as is common with this model because of the valve cover gasket. I still got almost 40 mpg on highway and 30 mpg city. This is the best car I ever owned in 40 years of car ownership. My little Saturn did die a noble death. I am looking for another used Saturn and would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable economical auto.

Favorite Features

The manual transmission provided great gas mileage.

Don't Buy
By brittnb

1996 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I got this car because I had to. I regret it. This is the cheapest made car I have ever owned. My back windows won't stay up no matter what I do. I have them duct taped at the moment. My car shakes and rattles and no one can figure out why. I had to replace the radiator and muffler. The muffler has been replaced twice actually. It goes through oil very fast and I have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or so. I have to put coolant in it every other week or so. The one good thing about this car is it gets great gas mileage. I do not recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage