1996 Saturn S-Series 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

SL2 Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
If you're looking for a cheap, reliable ride...
By ladystardust on 10/11/14 00:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my dad back in 2004 with 140K miles on it. It now has about 213K, and the engine is running great - it's performed almost like a Japanese car. Other than routine maintenance (oil changes, the odd tune up, new tires) the only things I've had to replace on this car were an engine mount and a rear windshield (the windshield can't be blamed on the manufacturer - some kid smashed it one night). The cosmetics of the car aren't great, but what do you expect from a car that's been kept outside for over a decade? It needs a little oil added about once every other tank. But it gets amazing gas mileage (about 29 in town and almost 40 on the highway).

Great little car
By bwright06 on 04/28/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had my 96 saturn for about the last 7 years. It was bought used by my grandparents and then sold to me when they wanted a new one. I didn't have a lot of problems with it at all in these last 7 years. Have never had any big issues until recently. Has 196,000 miles and I have a bad cylinder. Unfortunately I have to find a new car before mine really stops running. I was very pleased overall and it just seems like a fluke that I did not get more miles out of it. I am now looking at a 1999 Saturn SL2...so obsessed with the Saturn.

I LOVE My Saturn
By beelor on 04/30/11 02:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2002 with 60k miles. I kept up with routing maintenance. Repairs were consistent with normal wear and tear and never anything major. Had 185K miles on the car last week when a lady cut me off and my car was totaled and I am heart broken but my little car protected us from receiving serious injuries. It did leak oil as is common with this model because of the valve cover gasket. I still got almost 40 mpg on highway and 30 mpg city. This is the best car I ever owned in 40 years of car ownership. My little Saturn did die a noble death. I am looking for another used Saturn and would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable economical auto.

Don't Buy
By brittnb on 02/28/11 07:31 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I got this car because I had to. I regret it. This is the cheapest made car I have ever owned. My back windows won't stay up no matter what I do. I have them duct taped at the moment. My car shakes and rattles and no one can figure out why. I had to replace the radiator and muffler. The muffler has been replaced twice actually. It goes through oil very fast and I have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or so. I have to put coolant in it every other week or so. The one good thing about this car is it gets great gas mileage. I do not recommend this car to anyone.

400,000 km
By jimmy123 on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

First of all, I never write reviews. my 96 Saturn sl2 died today. Actually coolant started spraying out from the motor. I have had this car for about ten years, besides the regular maintenance, i have changed the muffler and 2 tie rods. the car is boring and plain, BUT it is VERY reliable. it will be sad tomorrow watching it being picked up by the tow truck for scrap. I am already looking at buying a more recent sl2 just because of the reliability

Saturn SL2
By djohn910 on 02/24/10 21:34 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in dec of 06 for 2700. Two months later the starter goes out, 9 months after that the alternator goes out, 4 months after that the starter goes out again. The sun-roof has leaked since day one, causing the leather seats to crack, my driver side window not to roll down, the radio has been completely fried due to the leaking sun roof. I would not by a saturn with a sun roof ever again. Drinks way too much oil. I put 2 quarts every week in it. Have oil changes every 1000 miles.

Solid All Around
By dan.t on 07/12/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car we purchased in 2003 as an extra car that would become the kids car. It has an outstanding manual transmission, as well as a powerful engine for what it is. I am always shocked at how the quick the motor is. Interior headliner is sagging like crazy though, which is about the only negative to this vehicle. I can average almost 30 mpg with this car though, which is great.

Never again
By christin on 04/18/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had to do numerous expensive repairs on this car. We did our homework before buying- but still seemed to find a lemon. The transmission had to be worked on a number of times. The moonroof is leaking water into the interior. Both power windows in back have broke, and the AC hasn't worked for years! I won't be buying a Saturn again,

Awesome Value
By shaggyismbm on 12/17/07 19:32 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $1300 and it was a great deal. It had 175,000 miles on it and it ran like a new car. It handles well, the motor is quick, the trunk is roomy. The only problems I had were the speedometer quit on me a while back (also my odometer) and my alternator went out. I would guess the car has about 250,000 miles on it now. It was a great value. Oh yeah and I hit a deer in it and it didn't even knock out the headlights. I drove off just fine with only a little body damage. Nothing major just a bent up hood. (I wish I could post a picture)

Fun to drive and economical.
By kb9ygf on 10/01/07 19:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 100,000 miles on it, after meeting several other S-car owners. After driving it for an additional 80,000 miles, I find my experience parallels theirs. If you read the owners manual and follow the maintenance schedule, the car will deliver. My car is eleven years old, uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles( normal change interval for me) and runs and looks great. The key is routine care.