1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Bargain
By murphy2893 on 05/29/13 10:11 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

A 1996 Saturn SW2 was my first car, I bought it at a cheap price with 139,000 miles on it. I put about 30,000 more miles on it in 3 years. The only major issue with the car was an oil leak that I knew had to be repaired when I bought it. Other than that, it was routine maintenance and minor repairs. When the heater coil broke, the car was pretty close to 170,000 miles and the price to fix it was nearly the price of the car itself, so I sadly had to say goodbye. Overall, the car was EXTREMELY reliable and the gas mileage was great. I drove it to and from college (over 100 miles away) with no problems. I'd buy the car again if I could. Definitely well worth what I paid!

Great First Car
By sc296 on 02/27/13 14:12 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I have a '96 SC2. It has about 145,000 miles on it and runs like it is new. The interior is a little small, especially when you try to pack people into the back seats, but for driving it is very confortable. It has great handling and hugs corners and is very fun, especially with performance mode on the transmission. It is very reliable, everything works, all I have to do is keep the oil changed. Overall, it is a great first car, gets 30mpg and is fun to drive.

Great little car
By bwright06 on 04/28/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had my 96 saturn for about the last 7 years. It was bought used by my grandparents and then sold to me when they wanted a new one. I didn't have a lot of problems with it at all in these last 7 years. Have never had any big issues until recently. Has 196,000 miles and I have a bad cylinder. Unfortunately I have to find a new car before mine really stops running. I was very pleased overall and it just seems like a fluke that I did not get more miles out of it. I am now looking at a 1999 Saturn SL2...so obsessed with the Saturn.

Pretty Good Car
By saturndude on 01/20/12 11:46 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

The Saturn 96 SC2 has been my first car and I plan to keep her until she dies. I have had her for around 8 months now and she hasn't brought me any real problems except from conditions left from the previous owners. It's a small car so it's recommended for single or a couple. She has great gas mileage and gas is pretty easy on her. I have her on 139,000 from 133,000 when I got her. One thing I've noticed is she is very fragile for the snow, but she is very agile in the spring, summer, and fall.

she just keeps going!
By alohalady on 12/14/11 09:39 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I love this car! I resisted buying an American car, but this baby has blown my mind. With the plastic panel sides, she still looks amazing in Vermont which has a knack for eating cars from the inside out.These cars come with ABS and Traction Control which was amazing in the snow. Now as I look for a new car I'm really wishing that i can just get another SW1 Or maybe Sw2 which has a bit more power. Can fit an adult size bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. I could stand a little more power but what can you do!I currently have 204,688 miles on it, and I bought it at 91,000 after much trepidation and many hours of research I went for it and couldn't be more pleased!

DON'T BUY
By quadski on 11/12/11 19:29 PM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bout my saturn sl with 121,000 miles on it last november since then i have put on 15,000 miles. It ran fine at first burning just a quart here and there which is usual, but then in about february my transmission blew. It didnt end there after i got tht replaced i kept having more nd more problems. the oil problem kept getting worse and worse ik have to buy a case of 12qts a month i just replaced my drive axel my tie rod ends nd now i have to do my ball joints. it seems it just doesnt end with this vehicle i would not recomend it for anyone like me who is on a tight student budget and can barely afford the oil and gas much less repairs

I LOVE My Saturn
By beelor on 04/30/11 02:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2002 with 60k miles. I kept up with routing maintenance. Repairs were consistent with normal wear and tear and never anything major. Had 185K miles on the car last week when a lady cut me off and my car was totaled and I am heart broken but my little car protected us from receiving serious injuries. It did leak oil as is common with this model because of the valve cover gasket. I still got almost 40 mpg on highway and 30 mpg city. This is the best car I ever owned in 40 years of car ownership. My little Saturn did die a noble death. I am looking for another used Saturn and would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable economical auto.

Don't Buy
By brittnb on 02/28/11 07:31 AM (PST)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I got this car because I had to. I regret it. This is the cheapest made car I have ever owned. My back windows won't stay up no matter what I do. I have them duct taped at the moment. My car shakes and rattles and no one can figure out why. I had to replace the radiator and muffler. The muffler has been replaced twice actually. It goes through oil very fast and I have to change the oil every 1,000 miles or so. I have to put coolant in it every other week or so. The one good thing about this car is it gets great gas mileage. I do not recommend this car to anyone.

GREAT car; fuel-sipping
By Vince on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with about 160,000 miles on it for $900. Put about $1,500 into it since then (rebuilt motor due to lack of oil changes, not my fault!). This is my dad's car, but I drive it every so often. He commutes 80 miles a day, five days a week. We live in Michigan, so this car has been through it all! Absolutely FANTASTIC on gas! It handles great and accelerates pretty smoothly. 221,000 miles on it now, and plenty more to go! Starts up like brand new in 20ยบ weather. Flip-up lights, defrost, A/C, power windows/locks still work! Highly recommend! Only cons: not too much interior room, cup holder location is annoying. Would drive to Florida and back! Who have proof that American cars last!

400,000 km
By jimmy123 on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

First of all, I never write reviews. my 96 Saturn sl2 died today. Actually coolant started spraying out from the motor. I have had this car for about ten years, besides the regular maintenance, i have changed the muffler and 2 tie rods. the car is boring and plain, BUT it is VERY reliable. it will be sad tomorrow watching it being picked up by the tow truck for scrap. I am already looking at buying a more recent sl2 just because of the reliability