1995 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Best Car Ever
By bobert_14 on 05/14/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

this was my first car and i miss it sooo much. it had 250,000 miles on it when the transmission went and i couldnt afford to fix it. great little car with awesome gas millage. would give anything to have it back.

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
By John on 01/15/09 10:37 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from my mother in law with about 175,000 mi. I have put another 40,000 mi on it. I bought the car to save on gas money. I have not taken care of the car at all. I have not changed the oil or anything else for that matter. The car is still running strong and I have not had a problem with it. If or when it dies I will look for another used SL to replace it.

I love my car!
By spberry on 01/02/09 14:14 PM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought my little SL2 new in 1995 & it's still my primary car! Got a little over 160K. Had to replace clutch master/slave cylinders, head gasket, replaced the ceiling & floor liner/carpets/floor mats and swapped out my drivers seat for the under-used passenger seat. That was like getting a whole new seat for free! So the cosmetics are up to date too! It runs fabulous and has been a great little car. The fuel efficiency is ridiculously great! I average in the mid 30's on highway! Hope to still be driving this car 10 years from now - at least - more would be cool too!

1995 Saturn SC-1 Coupe
By aaron3725 on 11/06/08 12:10 PM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2004 with 113,000 miles. I continue to drive this car to this day and the car now has 190,000 miles. The car has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The only repairs that I have needed to perform on this car is changing the battery once, alternator once, front brakes twice, and change the oil twice a year myself with full synthetic mobil one oil. Recently took the car on a 1,000 mile round trip to vegas, achieved 39 mpg, averaging 70 mph. Driving home was 80-85 mph and dropped to about 36-37 mpg. I average about 31 mpg in city and highway driving. I could not be more pleased with my Saturn!

Long lived and prospered
By mike on 09/13/08 16:14 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My mohter bought this car from my uncle 3 years ago with 200,000 Miles and it still takes off like a rocket. The interior is a little beat up but its still comfortable. I complain about the mileage cause it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.The little guy just hit 235,000 miles with many more to come. The engine has a .5 second hesitation when I slam it, but what do you excpect. A few trim pieces are starting to fall off of the interior. to finish there is also a growing hole in the exhaust (still sounds great though like its after market)

Underwiters Laboratories
By AZMike on 07/20/08 15:04 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got my 1995 Saturn in 4/04 with 112,000 miles. It was a gift from my mother upon graduation from a 10 month rehab. program. Today the car has 214,000 miles and has been very inexpensive and easy to fix. I do most of the work myself. During my times of relapse I abused this car beyond belief. I ran the oil so low (for 300 miles) that it ticked like a bomb. I'm surprised the boys from Homeland Security didn't pay me a visit. I used my tranny as a brake and blew a valve seal. On my most current & 3rd trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Phoenix the water pump sprang a healthy leak in Sarasota, Fl. I still made it! The car gets awesome gas mileage, I recorded 42 hwy & 35 city

Above and Beyond
By djr6065 on 07/13/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

This little wagon had been sitting for 2yrs with a dead battery and a very bad timing chain. The dealer sold it thinking it was done for sure with over a 195,000 miles on the clock. We paid $350 dollars for it only because it had a very nice aquamarine body and a very nice interior. We changed the battery, installed a new timing chain and gears, fresh oil and filters in both engine and transmission, and new set of spark plugs. The little car fired right up and ran like a clock. Passed state inspection with no problems. After 2 months of driving it has averaged 38 to 42 miles to the gallon and did I mention it's an automatic.

Loyal to the end
By Patty on 07/12/08 11:23 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got this car for college. It was 6 years old and had 30K on it. Now it has 115K, and I'm sad to let it go. I'm not a car expert, but this car got me from point A to point B for 7 years. I drive my cars hard- turn sharply, gun it on green lights, take very long trips, etc. Gas mileage is around 30mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving, though the AC makes mpg and acceleration suffer. Regular maintenance & checks are a must. Things don't go wrong often, but when they do, they really go! Serpentine belt tensioner is faulty (had it replaced at 53K and now it needs a new one again!) Interior door panel broke off and can't be fixed. Overall, they won't last forever, but they're great while they last!

Gas Sipper
By Correy on 06/11/08 07:55 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought the car for one thing, gas mileage. I think this car is basically under the radar in terms of people knowing about the great gas mileage. My first tank shows 34.9 MPG in city driving! It is slow, but you really don't need anything fast in rush hour traffic. I'm very impressed so far. Take it easy on the gas pedal and the car will return excellent numbers! This car will pay for itself in no time! Great buy!

The little engine that could
By jbrooksia on 05/08/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My wife purchased this car in 1996 with 16000 miles on it. It has beared the brunt of hot SC summers and cold IA winters without any major problems. 12 yrs later at 135,000 miles. I am now the primary driver and couldn't be happier. The small car is suprisingly roomie (I am 6'3" and can go 5-8 hours no problem) and gets an avg. of 33 mpg between city and hghy miles. I fully expect to get another 100,000 out of it. However, this is really a car for lil'people or light teens. Anymnore than 2 large adults and the 4 banger struggles to get to speed and/or hold it on any major hills. Other than that, it is a really well laid out car with a dependable fuel efficient engine.