17 years and going strong!
By loveisgreatest on
1995 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan
I bought my 1995 SL (base model - no a/c or power anything!) in 1996 as a second owner, with 41,000 miles already on it. Paid under $10K. This car is still going strong. I now have 245,000 miles on it and in all these years have only done routine maintenance - no break-downs, no major fixes. It does drink oil, but come on -- it's at 245K! I've recently been test-driving a variety of sports cars (350Z, Z4, Miata MX-5, Audi TT) and, when I came back to my Saturn, I have to admit, while it's no sports car, it IS a fun, low, zippy car! Gas mileage is amazing - 43 MPG COMBINED in summer (35 in winter, and I live in Minnesota) and NO VISIBLE RUST. I bet I'll drive it another 100K at least.
Favorite Features
Though it's no sports car, this car actually sits as low (or lower) to the ground as one and has about the same width as a TT. Not much longer than a TT either. So, despite it not having a lot of horsepower, this car (with a manual transmission) can get me around. In all these years, I've only gotten stuck once in the snow and i was trying to get up a hilly driveway with about 16" of freshly fallen snow on it. I've had a NUMBER of accidents (rear-ended, spun out on black ice, etc.) and no matter what, the thing keeps going. I love that in our salty, harsh winters, this car still looks new because of the plastic outer shell which keeps it from rusting. And the bumpers are BUMPERS.
Suggested Improvements
Too late to improve on this car now -- but, I sure wish the Sky had received better reviews in comparison to its sports competitors, because I love the (original) Saturn brand, loveD the Saturn ethic and service, and will sorely miss all the mechanics who became friends over these 17 years as I regularly took this sweet car in for its 3000 mile tune-ups and oil-changes. They, and it, have been like a faithful family for so long, even at 245K, I can't bear to get rid of it. And why would I? It's still reliable and still gets better gas mileage than its brand-new hybrid competitors. I can't say enough about my experience with the original (pre-Ford) Saturn brand. So sad they didn't survive.