1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
A little good a little bad
By Ben on 06/22/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this Saturn at 100k and drove it for five years. I had to put a lot of money in up front (new tires, struts, some transmission work). Engine always ran fine. Metal shield on the bottom kept having to be re-riveted after it would start an awful rattle. City mileage 19(winter) to 25 (summer) in Chicago. A little too long but excellent cargo capacity. Eventually sold it to the mechanic after the alternator failed at 150k. Rugged basics, but many little repairs over time, EGR valve, front calipers, tie-rod, CV joint, corroded connecting between cat and muffler, fan belt wheel, etc...so heart of the car was solid, death by pin-pricks.

Above and Beyond
By djr6065 on 07/13/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

This little wagon had been sitting for 2yrs with a dead battery and a very bad timing chain. The dealer sold it thinking it was done for sure with over a 195,000 miles on the clock. We paid $350 dollars for it only because it had a very nice aquamarine body and a very nice interior. We changed the battery, installed a new timing chain and gears, fresh oil and filters in both engine and transmission, and new set of spark plugs. The little car fired right up and ran like a clock. Passed state inspection with no problems. After 2 months of driving it has averaged 38 to 42 miles to the gallon and did I mention it's an automatic.

SW2 Wagon
By ford4ever on 03/29/05 14:10 PM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Bought used as a temporary replacement after hearing good things about Saturn's. There's nothing good about this car. It's underpowered & not economical. Burns a quart of oil every 500 miles, reverse and 2nd gear are shot ($2700 to repair), mysterious intermittent ignition, catalytic converter is noisy and needs replacing, not good on gas.

I love mySaturn Wagon
By toke on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

Having always driven imports I really wanted a domestic for a change and wanted a station wagon. The Saturn has been reliable and inexpensive to own. I paid twice for similar repairs on the Acura that I previously owned. The engine had been replaced in this car and has prvided ample performance and economy. Would I buy another? Absolutely.

Great Little Get Around Town Wagon
By CougGirl on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

My Saturn experience was mostly positive. The car ran pretty good although road noise was a problem at times. My major complaint with the car was oil consumption. The car was always using oil and neither the dealership or private repair shops could find the reason. It's a great little get around wagon and I would recomend it.

Leaves something to be desired...
By GeoGuy1996 on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

I got the car used from my mom after she stopped being able to drive. I'm glad I didn't buy it new. It's a little underpowered and the 4 spd auto has very strange shifting patterns. I also wish the gas mileage were a little better. My Geo,with a 1.8L does much, much better.

The disposable car
By ibjc on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

We bought this car brand new and had a decent experience with it. It was pretty trouble free throughout its life, with only minor repairs being reqired. However oil consumption was always high with this vehicle. Brought it to several dealers who all sold me the same line, "oil consumption is normal for this vehicle" "lightweight oil burns faster" etc. Well the engine made it to 150000 miles before it quit, which is not terrible, but now the car is not worth anything with a dead engine in it. Apparently engine problems are very common, and I have been told I was lucky to get 150000 miles out of my engine.

Great Value
By Alex Izett on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW1 4dr Wagon

When we bought ours in 1995, there was only one other wagon on the market to compete. But the Ford Escort felt a lot more fragile than the Saturn. We've put 149000 kms (93000 miles) on our SW1 and have very few complaints. What did go wrong? The rear window fluid switch crapped out at 100000 kms That's it! There's not a lot of power put out by the little SW1 power plant and, when loaded up, it's a real tortoise. But, it looks great, can carry loads of gear, great on fuel economy, and has been a very reliable car - seeing 5 Canadian west coast winters and now onto its 3 Canadian prairie winters (can you say, cold and snow!)

Super Car for the Money
By Viking on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Very reliable, inexpensive to own and operate, great in snow, slush, and ice. This is one of the best looking wagons on the road, and is much less expensive to own than any Honda I have known. Here in central Maine, at the foot of the Maine Mountains, this car has been a great car all four seasons.

Underrated Sport Compact Wagon
By Dr.Hydro on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I purchased a 1995 SW2 soon after I was T-boned at an intersection and totaled my earlier car (a 1994 SC1 - which held up very well in the accident. I have sampled a number of cars over the years since there are couple of car dealerships in the family so I have lots to compare to the SW2. The SW2 was a big surprise, the handling is tight and particularly good for Canadian winters. The DOHC engine is buzzy but powerful-a good hill climber. The 5-speed manual has good clutch take- up. Surprisingly there are lots of aftermarket performance parts. I added some low cost mods-a cone air intake and front strut bar - very noticeable inprovements- recommended.