Used 1995 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 131 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

1995 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

My only new car was a dud!
By Jeff

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I loved the concept of Saturn. These were supposed to be smartly designed cars with some revolutionary concepts like plastic siding that was resistant to dings. I also liked the idea of a low flat sticker price that was non-negotiable. I started out a fan and was tempted to drive to the annual Saturn picnic. I'm glad I didn't. The car probably would have broken down on the way. Of all the cars I could have chosen to be my first new car, this was about the worst choice I could have made. Almost immediately, the drivers side window would drip on me as I drove. I took the car in multiple times for this and they never resolved the issue. Apparently, they had removed the rain gutters this year and it presented a design flaw. The car also burned oil like a maniac right from the start. The thing was gutless too, although it did get pretty good gas mileage. It finally blew a head gasket at around 80,000 and I traded it in for a used car. I don't think I got more than a few hundred for it.

Beginning of the end
By sat233238

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My 2005 was the first of seven Saturns and by far the best.
Reliability, fuel economy, handling in snow all exceeded my expectations.
The dealer was outstanding and made the experience one I shared with everyone I knew.
Had GM not tried to standardize the service and product into the mainstream of its other economy lines,
I am sure Saturn could have survived the last shrink down. This was a tough, safe, reliable car that I enjoyed thoroughly.

It won't die!
By danleeworth

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The most reliable car ever! I owned Japanese vehicles for countless years, but the Saturn has beat them all.
My two Honda's ate threw alternators like crazy and the hood release cord on the one snapped, which meant no access.

My darling Saturn has been unbelievably dependable with minimal issues.

17 years and going strong!
By loveisgreatest

1995 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1995 SL (base model - no a/c or power anything!) in 1996 as a second owner, with 41,000 miles already on it.
Paid under $10K.
This car is still going strong.
I now have 245,000 miles on it and in all these years have only done routine maintenance - no break-downs, no major fixes.
It does drink oil, but come on -- it's at 245K!
I've recently been test-driving a variety of sports cars (350Z, Z4, Miata MX-5, Audi TT) and, when I came back to my Saturn, I have to admit, while it's no sports car, it IS a fun, low, zippy car!
Gas mileage is amazing - 43 MPG COMBINED in summer (35 in winter, and I live in Minnesota) and NO VISIBLE RUST.
I bet I'll drive it another 100K at least.

Though it's no sports car, this car actually sits as low (or lower) to the ground as one and has about the same width as a TT. Not much longer than a TT either. So, despite it not having a lot of horsepower, this car (with a manual transmission) can get me around. In all these years, I've only gotten stuck once in the snow and i was trying to get up a hilly driveway with about 16" of freshly fallen snow on it. I've had a NUMBER of accidents (rear-ended, spun out on black ice, etc.) and no matter what, the thing keeps going. I love that in our salty, harsh winters, this car still looks new because of the plastic outer shell which keeps it from rusting. And the bumpers are BUMPERS.

Too late to improve on this car now -- but, I sure wish the Sky had received better reviews in comparison to its sports competitors, because I love the (original) Saturn brand, loveD the Saturn ethic and service, and will sorely miss all the mechanics who became friends over these 17 years as I regularly took this sweet car in for its 3000 mile tune-ups and oil-changes. They, and it, have been like a faithful family for so long, even at 245K, I can't bear to get rid of it. And why would I? It's still reliable and still gets better gas mileage than its brand-new hybrid competitors. I can't say enough about my experience with the original (pre-Ford) Saturn brand. So sad they didn't survive.

Saturn 95 sl1 (automatic)
By sal2011

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchase this car a year ago and didn't know anything about cars or the company Saturn. I would recommended this car for a average joe that knows something about this car.Really easy problems to fix that i know Saturn did mistakes especially the automatic Saturn, like the value body and the engine coolant sensor and connector as well. in conclusion i have spent $500
total for this car in parts like the value body 200 brakes and rotors 150 oil, fuel filter 30 and sparks plugs n wire, pcv 60 and thermostat + antifreeze 40 to do a flush. also the coolant sensor and connector 20.No mechanic has put there hands on this Saturn.the car run good and smooth.i would recommend the car in a manual.

Good gas saver car love the style of the car.

just that Saturn would fixed there Value body for free