1995 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Beginning of the end
By sat233238 on 04/04/12 00:57 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My 2005 was the first of seven Saturns and by far the best. Reliability, fuel economy, handling in snow all exceeded my expectations. The dealer was outstanding and made the experience one I shared with everyone I knew. Had GM not tried to standardize the service and product into the mainstream of its other economy lines, I am sure Saturn could have survived the last shrink down. This was a tough, safe, reliable car that I enjoyed thoroughly.

It won't die!
By danleeworth on 02/16/12 00:20 AM (PST)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The most reliable car ever! I owned Japanese vehicles for countless years, but the Saturn has beat them all. My two Honda's ate threw alternators like crazy and the hood release cord on the one snapped, which meant no access. My darling Saturn has been unbelievably dependable with minimal issues.

17 years and going strong!
By loveisgreatest on 07/22/11 08:26 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1995 SL (base model - no a/c or power anything!) in 1996 as a second owner, with 41,000 miles already on it. Paid under $10K. This car is still going strong. I now have 245,000 miles on it and in all these years have only done routine maintenance - no break-downs, no major fixes. It does drink oil, but come on -- it's at 245K! I've recently been test-driving a variety of sports cars (350Z, Z4, Miata MX-5, Audi TT) and, when I came back to my Saturn, I have to admit, while it's no sports car, it IS a fun, low, zippy car! Gas mileage is amazing - 43 MPG COMBINED in summer (35 in winter, and I live in Minnesota) and NO VISIBLE RUST. I bet I'll drive it another 100K at least.

Saturn 95 sl1 (automatic)
By sal2011 on 05/05/11 23:45 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchase this car a year ago and didn't know anything about cars or the company Saturn. I would recommended this car for a average joe that knows something about this car.Really easy problems to fix that i know Saturn did mistakes especially the automatic Saturn, like the value body and the engine coolant sensor and connector as well. in conclusion i have spent $500 total for this car in parts like the value body 200 brakes and rotors 150 oil, fuel filter 30 and sparks plugs n wire, pcv 60 and thermostat + antifreeze 40 to do a flush. also the coolant sensor and connector 20.No mechanic has put there hands on this Saturn.the car run good and smooth.i would recommend the car in a manual.

The GM I have owned
By robert on 08/27/10 21:56 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had a 89 Mercury trace and the valves got bent so we needed a car. My wife's friend sold us our Saturn and we love it. We plan to keep it around for a long time! My wife drives the car mostly in town for dr. appts, shopping, taking the kids to school, visiting friends and escorting me around! LOL! We take about 3-5 long instate trips a year, and really rely on our vehicle on a daily basis. We only have had to do a few things to it- we had to fix the serpentine belt, alternator, spark plugs, plus BASIC maintenance. (oil change, brakes, fluids etc.) we highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a highly reliable family vehicle!

Built to Last
By forevernewbie on 07/28/10 23:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

Seems I've had a similar experience to everyone on here. I had to replace my alternator 3 times in 190,000 miles, belt tension, pumps, no engine or transmission problems. I've been hit at high speeds twice, and the car held up well, especially against the fort explorer at 50 mph, amazingly well actually. The car has never let me down, when something breaks you know it's coming. I want to get a new car, but i keep thinking. How much more can this thing go??? I've had it since 1999 and this thing has saved me a lot of money. I know when i turn the key its going to start. I think my car is actually coming back into style I've had it for so long :)

A little good a little bad
By Ben on 06/22/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this Saturn at 100k and drove it for five years. I had to put a lot of money in up front (new tires, struts, some transmission work). Engine always ran fine. Metal shield on the bottom kept having to be re-riveted after it would start an awful rattle. City mileage 19(winter) to 25 (summer) in Chicago. A little too long but excellent cargo capacity. Eventually sold it to the mechanic after the alternator failed at 150k. Rugged basics, but many little repairs over time, EGR valve, front calipers, tie-rod, CV joint, corroded connecting between cat and muffler, fan belt wheel, etc...so heart of the car was solid, death by pin-pricks.

Perfect 2nd Car
By spacedude86 on 06/02/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This was my second vehicle, and I had it for about two years. My little sister drives it now. My first car was 92 Saturn SL1, so the power features (locks and winders) of the SL2 were a nice upgrade. Great gas mileage. Small tank, but I still took that thing for nearly 400 miles before I filled it up. Back in 07 I remember it only took $20 bucks to fill it up. Great car for point A to point B commuting. Not gonna turn any heads, but that's not what this car is for.

Amazing Little Car
By Josh Facklam on 05/18/10 07:53 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

This is an Amazing little car. I was 16 years old when i bought this car with my own money back in June 2009 for $800. It had 210000 miles on it. I have put 13,000 miles on it in 11 months with me driving it. The thing still runs amazing i have been through one set of tires on it and have not had one mechanical thing go wrong with it. I have to put one quart of oil in it every 500 miles, but that is not bad at all. I think its the best $800 dollars i have ever spent. would recomend to anyone!!!

15 years of Saturn
By smeat on 05/11/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

1995 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 1995. I've driven it to every state, except Alaska and Hawaii, lived out of it for months at a times- sometimes with my wife and dog- at with over 334,000 miles on it, the thing just won't die. I've been rear ended twice, done usual maintenance on my own, but original engine, compressor, manual transmission etc. I started replacing everything with performance parts after 200k because I was sure it would die by then, but now I'm not sure if it ever will.