1994 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Don't be deceived
By mrlester on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I was one of the many who were deceived by the "different kind of car, different kind of company" slogans for Saturn. I should have realized the shoddy build of this car given its roots to GMC. As the original owner I can definitively say the car was a dog. It needed a new head gasket three times. The dealer did a simple replacement to my pvc valve that resulted in my car plunging down the highway at 100+ MPH and with no way for me to stop. I had to stand on the brake and throw the car into neutral to stop it. The car overheated whenever I was in city traffic.

Execellent car to keep for a long time.
By 968racer on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Only have had 1 problem in 123000 miles. $300 repair. Body panels won't rust or dent. Why doesn't every manufacturer do this?

1994 SC2 - great car
By stuygrad on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I had the 5 speed, and loved it. I think the back seat is a bit uncomfortable for tall people, and would like to have had cupholders in the front instead of the back, or at least in addition to the back, but that was my only real complaint.

Nice Car--Valve Body Issues
By DSL2 on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Great little economy car for the family. It gets great gas mileage, comes well loaded with options, has reasonably crisp acceleration for a car it's size. We purchased an SL2 automatic, and have had problems with the valve body. It's been replaced twice in the last two years at $710 for parts and labor. OUCH!

It might not dent but it cracks
By Sparky420 on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I purchased a used 1994 SC2 w/ 60k for $7500. Within 2 months I needed a new transmission. Five months later the car was nearly totalled by a minivan but repaired. After that the car was nothing but trouble. It finaly died when the timing chain blew a hole in the head. The only saving grace of the car was it was a blast to drive.

Mileage plus
By R.Mullins on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, with 20 miles new, and now 8 years later, with 245000 it is still going, (weaker, a little slower, more worn) but going. I have done a few things mechanically like the Fan Motor, Heater core, 1 Rocker Arm, but over all this car has been the best for dependability. If you don't mind a small car and small car ride. This is cheap.

1994 Saturn SL1
By ECTaylor on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Car has held up very well. It has 146,000 miles and keeps going. The paint still looks brand new. The only problems I have have is with the cars ' generator, sunroof motor/tracks, and increase of oil consumption. Not bad for a car that is 8 years old. Also the resale value is very strong even after all these years.

Greatest used car purchase I ever made!
By Allison on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car is ten times more reliable than my previous cars, which were a 1992 Toyota Corolla and a 1989 Honda Accord. So much for best-selling. Saturn has some great engineers over there. Saturn service centers should also be commended for keeping maintenance costs down for Saturn owners.

Very dependable
By jdsmith on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've been driving my 1994 Saturn since it was new. Except for oil, tires and a new alternator, I've never had any mechanical problems. It's a little slow to accelerate, but it only has 85 hp. It gets great gas mileage. The only thing that has broken is the plastic loop that keeps the seat belt attached to the seat (at your waist). While a bigger car would be nice, I'll still be driving it for a few more years as it is only 8 this month and mechanically sound!

l.j.a sc2 review
By linda jo allen on 03/15/02 17:55 PM (PST)

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

handles like a sports car. my only complaint is the gas milage. could be better. with regular maintainance, it's a fun, reliable car.