Used 1994 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

After three more years
By Sportster

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This is my second review of this vehicle. The first was in 2003. I've got three more years use and an estimated 60,000 more miles -- total miles somewhere near 200,000. It's still running strong, but uses a little oil. Since my first review, the odometer has stopped working (one of the plastic gears broke), I've had to paint the hood, replace the water pump, and recently the little plastic gizmo that holds the shift cable to the bottom of the 5-speed shifter broke. Don't go to Saturn for repair -- They will rob you. Do a Google search or go to ebay for parts, then repair yourself. This car is my work car and it has been extremely reliable and continues to serve me well.

Engine, overall body style, plastic side pannels, handling

I think they've made them by this time. I don't like flip-up head lights -- looks like a frog when they are up -- Brittle plastic interior parts that readily break (probably age related). And of course, cup holders only in the rear, where no-one could possibly ride for very long.

A Good Car
By Rick

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

We have had this car for almost 16 years now and even tho we only put 27.5K on it has only once let us down with a bad starter but was due to IL rust build up. I have been doing some mods to it and now up to 135HP with 125 Foot pounds torque. I love the zip it has for the 4 speed auto. I'm averaging 30 city and 35 Hwy. And itust screams when you pin it! Anxcellent starter car for anyone. I love the dent-resistant body panels. Once you buy Saturn, you'll never buy anything else.

Engine, tranny, hide away headlights, easy to mod.

Inside plastic is a little fragile.

Best car ever!
By sterling

1994 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This was my first "new car" purchase. I love this car! It was a perfect fit from the day I drove it off the lot. It handles great during western PA winters thanks to the traction control option I got. It has been very reliable, and only recently has needed some repairs (due to frozen water pump). Even at 12 years old, my little baby still can get over 30 mpg highway driving. That's better than most of the 2006 cars available.

Traction control. Easy to reach/use audio and climate controls. Easy to access air filter/ battery/ fuses/etc. Tiltable headrest (great when doing long roadtrips). Unique color (plum)

None

Brave Little Toaster
By Chrisitan

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I would have to say that I love this car for all of the basic reasons you would need a car for. I have owned this car for just over 2 years and have only replaced the alternator once, had new brakes put on, and got new tires. Not bad for an emergency buy. My problem with this car is that everything that is not mechanical on this car that can break, has broken. From the covers on those annoying mechanical seatbelts to the vent grills on the dashboard, just about every single cosmetic feature of this car is a piece. The dome light falls off the ceiling for no reason. The radio mysteriously changes stations by itself for no apparent reason. It goes on, and on, and on...

The car just will not die. Never once has this car ever left me stranded anywhere, and I drive it a lot. I can't say this enough, if you just want a car to get you from point A to point B then this is your ride. Don't buy it if you are concerned with anything other than transportation.

Vehicle integrity. After a minor rear ending, the car was essentially totalled. I still drive it, but the front driver seat reclined all the way back if you lean on it. The other driver's insurance company wrote me a check for the value of the car after a measley rear end fender bender.

Tough little cookies
By Dakota4Red

1994 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

My little Saturn just survived a BAD wreck, severe impact to the rear, with offending driver moving at a HIGH rate speed. The Saturn held together, kept me and my 2 children safe inside, and even steered off the highway in spite of a bent frame. I want another just like it when the insurance comes through!

The 5-speed manual is a delight to drive, surprising "pep" from a 4 cylinder, and the overall exterior look is just adorable. I was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the mostly-fiberglass panels really are, they held up and kept us safe.

Maybe stronger speakers...they didn't hold up to the radio's volume abilities. Otherwise...don't change a thing.