Used 1994 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Most Helpful|
Many miles of flawless service
By Rick

1994 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for almost 6 years having bought it used with 61000 miles on it. Other than installing a CD player and doing regular maintenance, the car has given me flawless service. It now has 186000 miles on it, still runs and starts every morning. I'm now going to replace it as it is getting long in the tooth. If you are in the market for a used vehicle and can find one with under 100000 miles on it, you will probably get a godd 3 to 5 years of service out of it. Cheap and reliable transportation. Not as spiffy as the newer models, but for the practically minded, a great choice.

Favorite Features

5 speed and fuel economy, still gets better than 30MPG

Suggested Improvements

Well, it's been replaced, so not sure this is relevant, but there are no cup holders and the heater controls are way to far down making you take your eyes off the road to make an adjustment.

Went Lookin for an old SL1
By Wild4stangs

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 94 SL1 sedan from a friend of mine, who has a son that works in a local Saturn dealer. This car was traded in by the original owner. Car has 217k on it, and the engine was replaced at around 150k. I purchased the car purely as a commuter car, as I drive 110 miles round trip daily, and diesel was getting way too expensive. This car runs perfect, and has been getting low 40's in the MP department! This is no BMW, but for what it is, it is a nice little beater

Favorite Features

AC, 5 speed and MPG!

Suggested Improvements

Leg room

Brave Little Toaster
By Chrisitan

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I would have to say that I love this car for all of the basic reasons you would need a car for. I have owned this car for just over 2 years and have only replaced the alternator once, had new brakes put on, and got new tires. Not bad for an emergency buy. My problem with this car is that everything that is not mechanical on this car that can break, has broken. From the covers on those annoying mechanical seatbelts to the vent grills on the dashboard, just about every single cosmetic feature of this car is a piece. The dome light falls off the ceiling for no reason. The radio mysteriously changes stations by itself for no apparent reason. It goes on, and on, and on...

Favorite Features

The car just will not die. Never once has this car ever left me stranded anywhere, and I drive it a lot. I can't say this enough, if you just want a car to get you from point A to point B then this is your ride. Don't buy it if you are concerned with anything other than transportation.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle integrity. After a minor rear ending, the car was essentially totalled. I still drive it, but the front driver seat reclined all the way back if you lean on it. The other driver's insurance company wrote me a check for the value of the car after a measley rear end fender bender.

Nice Car--Valve Body Issues
By DSL2

1994 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Great little economy car for the family. It gets great gas mileage, comes well loaded with options, has reasonably crisp acceleration for a car it's size. We purchased an SL2 automatic, and have had problems with the valve body. It's been replaced twice in the last two years at $710 for parts and labor. OUCH!

Favorite Features

Easy to drive--you think you're driving faster than you really are. GM parts are fairly inexpensive. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable transmissions

I hate this car