Used 1994 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Pretty good for used cheap car
By Leopardlady

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car 2 years ago, (1995) and love how it handles in the snow. Couldn't ask for a better handling car, was amazed at it. However, some maintenance issues have got me looking for another vehicle. Heater core is going bad, just replaced the brakes for a pretty huge sum of money. Interior is cheap; windows leak, plastic parts inside are wearing, and I need a fuel injector. Basically, just normal wear and tear, and I have to pump all this into it in one summer. Car came with pretty decent stereo, speakers could crank some more but it is an econ car. Overall, I recommend it--mileage is alright. Get a newer one though--avoid old car problems.

Handling in bad weather is awesome. I drive a good ways to college, and in Michigan winters this is a must-have

Longer lasting heater core? lol--it is after all a 1994, disappointed it will cost so much to fix, and very difficult to get to, the dash needs to be removed. cha ching! seals around windows and doors need to be made better, they leak.

Great Beginner Car
By Zack T

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

First off, I have to say this is an excellent starter car. I got my license a few months back, but don't have a car of my own. My step-mom has been letting me use her car, and I love driving it around. It's very smooth and handles really well. It's also got the power to get you out of a tight spot if you're ever in one. The exterior is hard to damage, which is part of the reason why this is a good beginner car. It also turns a surprising number of heads, which most teenagers will admit, is something they look for in a car. And as I read in another review and can confirm, it feels like you're going faster than you really are, which for me helps to keep me from speeding unconsciously.

Tough exterior, looks good, handles great, and gets excellent gas mileage.

As a teenager, you know I have to say it could use a CD player to play my Tom Petty CDs, but hey, it's 13 years old. They've already fixed that. And other than sometimes having to put a hand on the ground to push yourself out, I can't think of anything else.

Will own another Saturn anyday
By hoppy460

1994 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Car has 230,000 miles on it and runs great still. I have replaced common items such as Radiator, waterpump, rear wheel bearings, belt tensioner, fuel pump, and rebuilt starter. I am amazed this car still runs so good for all my harsh short trip driving. Last road trip I once got 39.88 MPG. Does not burn oil. I will probably buy newer Saturn this summer.

Window seals. Fan needs to kick on sooner.

Great car!
By wingsofthedragon

1994 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I inherited this car from a family member about 4 years ago. She is my first car, and I just love her! She has held up to 4 years of heavy city driving, and one cross-country move, without a complaint. Some particularly cold mornings (below zero), the heat takes a while to kick in, but that's to be expected on an older vehicle. This is a great car as a starter, inexpensive to own, insurance cost is very low, and she's ridiculously easy to drive!

Gas mileage, low cost of ownership, peppy getup when needed.

I think that Saturn has already changed what I don't like about the car. The poor speakers (they make very rude noises at passengers when any sort of bass is involved). No cup holders in the front.

After three more years
By Sportster

1994 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This is my second review of this vehicle. The first was in 2003. I've got three more years use and an estimated 60,000 more miles -- total miles somewhere near 200,000. It's still running strong, but uses a little oil. Since my first review, the odometer has stopped working (one of the plastic gears broke), I've had to paint the hood, replace the water pump, and recently the little plastic gizmo that holds the shift cable to the bottom of the 5-speed shifter broke. Don't go to Saturn for repair -- They will rob you. Do a Google search or go to ebay for parts, then repair yourself. This car is my work car and it has been extremely reliable and continues to serve me well.

Engine, overall body style, plastic side pannels, handling

I think they've made them by this time. I don't like flip-up head lights -- looks like a frog when they are up -- Brittle plastic interior parts that readily break (probably age related). And of course, cup holders only in the rear, where no-one could possibly ride for very long.