1993 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
The American Toyota By GM
By A. valdes on 11/26/07 00:37 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Exceptional vehicle, ahead of his time in design, reliability, parts costs, ease to work etc.

New Saturn
By Redding on 12/10/06 04:56 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this car for me when we needed a good around city commuter because '85 Ford Escort wagon was not cutting it anymore. Maybe just saying this after owning 2 cars pre 1985, but the car sounded smooth, felt smooth, with no major mechanicals, no funny noises like most used cars, and clean, like many here say, the car looks almost brand new. Performance is great, push button to perform and car will launch. After 2 2000 Kia's this car is comparable to them in mechanics and performance and they are almost 10 years newer. Have seen warnings on coolant system and oil and with 130,000. Expected to see something like that. But no problems have developed. Good solid fun

Don't but this car
By John De Groot on 10/03/06 01:26 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was a horrible purchase. It was a lemon from year one. Engine rebuild at 10,000. Again at 20,000. I traded it in before the warranty ran out because it wasn't reliable. The transmission would sieze going from reverse to first. I had parking garages that would not accept my car in downtown San Francisco. It was that bad. And Saturn wouldn't own up to. Not a bit, nadda, nothing. I can never recommend a Saturn or GM car after having owned this one.

An old, punishing economy car
By Saturnine on 07/09/06 21:55 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my grandparents. It's the cheapest model, with a mere 85 hp. I have to say, this car is a perfect example of how mean old economy cars were. It's extremely slow, so slow that I actually feel unsafe in traffic because I can't accelerate quickly in a pinch. It requires a huge amount of gas to shift gears without shaking. It leaks oil (though it doesn't seem to burn it). Fuel economy is around 30 mpg overall, but I'd expect more given how underpowered this car is. The turning radius is very wide at around 38 feet, and power steering doesn't help one bit. At 143k miles, the car feels much older than many higher mileage cars I've owned in the past. The car feels old. Even at just 143k, it is on its last legs. There aren't any big problems, but many small ones.

220k miles
By Aaron on 12/26/05 14:44 PM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car my sophomore year in high school and it lasted until my sophomore year in college. I've traveled to school and back (Nebraska - Michigan) several times. I put 100k miles on it with little problems. Unfortunately that's all I got out of it, but I'm purchasing the same car to replace it.

The Money Pit
By Allen on 08/24/05 21:33 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought the 1993 Saturn SL2 used from a private party in August 2003 w/ only 45,000 miles on it. From the very 1st day I had it the car was nothing, but a money pit even though it had a clean Carfax record!!! 1st of all the car burned a ton of oil ( a quart every 600-700 miles and after reading many reviews this seems to be a problem on this model. 2nd - The A/C Blew out on it and had the compressor replaced 3 times because the clutch on the compressor kept burning out for some reason that mechanics couldn't figure out. 3rd - Went through 2 alternators. 4th - My favorite here went through 3 tensioner pulleys, which Saturns seem to go through all the time. Out of space but can go on!

Decent auto
By That one guy on 08/15/05 17:21 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This little car has been in my family since its conception. Only minor problems with it, alternator (2 Times) o2 sensor, and curently in need of struts. If your looking for a car you just can't seem to kill, this is a good choice for the penny pincher. It might not be the coolest car, ( comparable to a Pacer), but it is reliable. I like it, but need something a little more "me".

nice cheap car to maintain
By raj on 07/28/05 09:29 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

i had this car for a year and i liked it. it was smooth. It gave good mileage on higway 35MPG and with in city 22MPG. I had no major problems with it. Exterior looks cheap in quality. i like the view from front.

Lara's Saturn
By Lara Eastridge on 06/24/05 00:25 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

These cars are absolutely awesome to drive. Mine has almost 170,000 on it and I don't care and it doesn't seem to either. It never misses a beat, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A great decision
By amp25718 on 04/15/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought my Saturn SL2 after 15 years in a well-loved VW Rabbit. Can't believe I am at 12 years in the Saturn - it still looks almost new. I got sidswiped in a parking lot and was able to scrape the other car's paint off with a cuticle stick, re-wax, and voila, looks like new. Any other car would have been $1000 in the body shop. After a few mechanical glitches under warranty which the dealer cheerfully fixed, I have had no significant problems and have spent very little money on the car other than preventive maintenance. Buying this car was a good decision! I am hoping for 4-5 more years while the kid is in college.