Used 1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Great old car
By Cybrune

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got my 1993 Saturn SL1 3 years ago when I was 16. The car had 188,000 miles on it. And it ran great. It got upwards of 32 MPG highway. Know my car has almost 229,000 mile and still runs great. And even know that I live in the city I get 25 MPG (city mileage of course). so overall a great start out car. Very reliable and fun to drive

Favorite Features

Traction control and ABS

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I could see is reduce oil consumption.

The American Toyota By GM
By A. valdes

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Exceptional vehicle, ahead of his time in design, reliability, parts costs, ease to work etc.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders

New Saturn
By Redding

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this car for me when we needed a good around city commuter because '85 Ford Escort wagon was not cutting it anymore. Maybe just saying this after owning 2 cars pre 1985, but the car sounded smooth, felt smooth, with no major mechanicals, no funny noises like most used cars, and clean, like many here say, the car looks almost brand new. Performance is great, push button to perform and car will launch. After 2 2000 Kia's this car is comparable to them in mechanics and performance and they are almost 10 years newer. Have seen warnings on coolant system and oil and with 130,000. Expected to see something like that. But no problems have developed. Good solid fun

Favorite Features

Traction control, 4 wheel abs disk brakes, inline 4 good for 30+ mpg, exterior design is sharp for a 93 with curves and shark nose and blue/green color. Interior is beyond its time with modern looking gauges and instrumentation, and the 1.9L 4 cyl provides a respectable purr when turning 3000+ rpm.

Suggested Improvements

A passenger side air bag maybe? Will drive and appraise.

Don't but this car
By John De Groot

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was a horrible purchase. It was a lemon from year one. Engine rebuild at 10,000. Again at 20,000. I traded it in before the warranty ran out because it wasn't reliable. The transmission would sieze going from reverse to first. I had parking garages that would not accept my car in downtown San Francisco. It was that bad. And Saturn wouldn't own up to. Not a bit, nadda, nothing. I can never recommend a Saturn or GM car after having owned this one.

Favorite Features

Absolutely none.

Suggested Improvements

Saturn, stand behind your cars. Don't do to me what you did to others.

Goodbye Old Friend
By Crash Surviver

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my SL1 new in 1993. I had expected it to go 200K miles, but someone in an SUV ran a red and totaled it last week with 124K miles. The good news is that my daughter walked away with barely a scratch. The engine was great, but starting to use about 1 qt every 3000 miles. Suspension, exhaust and transmission were trouble free. Other mechanical components did not fare so well (water pump, alternator, radiator, engine mounts (twice)). Inside door panels come loose, dashboard cracked, and foam in drivers seat had to be replaced.

Favorite Features

Plastic side panels and Paint. After nearly 13 years, car still looked like new.

Suggested Improvements

Bucket seats uncomfortable for larger person (6'2", 220). Improve interior quality.