1993 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Great old car
By Cybrune on 01/20/09 15:54 PM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got my 1993 Saturn SL1 3 years ago when I was 16. The car had 188,000 miles on it. And it ran great. It got upwards of 32 MPG highway. Know my car has almost 229,000 mile and still runs great. And even know that I live in the city I get 25 MPG (city mileage of course). so overall a great start out car. Very reliable and fun to drive

The American Toyota By GM
By A. valdes on 11/26/07 00:37 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Exceptional vehicle, ahead of his time in design, reliability, parts costs, ease to work etc.

New Saturn
By Redding on 12/10/06 04:56 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this car for me when we needed a good around city commuter because '85 Ford Escort wagon was not cutting it anymore. Maybe just saying this after owning 2 cars pre 1985, but the car sounded smooth, felt smooth, with no major mechanicals, no funny noises like most used cars, and clean, like many here say, the car looks almost brand new. Performance is great, push button to perform and car will launch. After 2 2000 Kia's this car is comparable to them in mechanics and performance and they are almost 10 years newer. Have seen warnings on coolant system and oil and with 130,000. Expected to see something like that. But no problems have developed. Good solid fun

Don't but this car
By John De Groot on 10/03/06 01:26 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was a horrible purchase. It was a lemon from year one. Engine rebuild at 10,000. Again at 20,000. I traded it in before the warranty ran out because it wasn't reliable. The transmission would sieze going from reverse to first. I had parking garages that would not accept my car in downtown San Francisco. It was that bad. And Saturn wouldn't own up to. Not a bit, nadda, nothing. I can never recommend a Saturn or GM car after having owned this one.

Goodbye Old Friend
By Crash Surviver on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my SL1 new in 1993. I had expected it to go 200K miles, but someone in an SUV ran a red and totaled it last week with 124K miles. The good news is that my daughter walked away with barely a scratch. The engine was great, but starting to use about 1 qt every 3000 miles. Suspension, exhaust and transmission were trouble free. Other mechanical components did not fare so well (water pump, alternator, radiator, engine mounts (twice)). Inside door panels come loose, dashboard cracked, and foam in drivers seat had to be replaced.

Keeps on Run'n
By john_vi on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

We bought our SL1 eleven years ago. We wanted a reliable car without all the hastles of a dealership. We picked the right car. It has been all over the country and has never let us down. It gets great gas milage to this day (32 MPG). I have only replaced the alternator, the water pump and motor mounts. I never imagined this car would keep running a well as it has for all these years. It is now starting to show some wear and needs some minor work. I will be getting a new vehicle since my family has grown we need a vehicle that will acommodate the children and their stuff.

290,000 MILE ROADRUNNER
By S. F. Scott on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car new in 1993 after visiting Saturn in Springhill, TN. I only wanted then was a car with good gas mileage to last at least 100,000 miles with no problems. It exceeded my wants. I have driven it almost daily to and from work - a round trip of 92 miles. It still has the orginial transmission and engine. All I did was change the oil about every 4,000 miles and take it in for service every 80,000 miles. As I tell my co-workers, I plan to keep the car as long as it runs even if I have to "Fred Flintstone-it" to work!

175,000 after 10 years and Good as New
By JTZ on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Drive weekly x 5 years approx 450 miles RT to and around Manhattan. Anti-lock brakes/ traction control excellent in heavy Central New York winters. I'm 6'2" and ceiling high enough to wear a hat. Engine not terribly powerful, but I keep up with 80 mph NYC traffic with no problem. I dread the day I have to think about replacing it -- I'm sure it will be a Saturn.

Sonic is it's name
By Matt from Cranston on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This is my first "very own" car and it was bought from a girl who neglected it. Regardless, I did some minor tune- up work and at 110K miles it's still goin strong. Definately reliable, made me a believer in Saturn's. I'm runnin' this thing to the ground. 30mpg average. i love it. worth every penny. (i have the fivespeed stick)

Reliable... the damn thing won't die
By Miss Bee on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got this car (new) my freshman year in college. Wow, has this thing been reliable. This is a great car for anyone looking in this class. Have had very few, if any, mechanical difficulties (10 years is a long time to remember)and it has been through everything. In fact it has been so good that I've been waiting for the damn thing to die or at least start "acting" bad so I can justify getting another car. The dealership was and still is great!