1993 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Better than the Energizer bunny!
By gelfling42 on 09/09/13 20:07 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used in 2000 for $5k. Best $5k I ever spent! Previous owner didn't take care of it, so I had a few problems at first (plugged catalytic converter, bad belt, etc.), but once I got her cleaned up, she just ran and ran. I don't know how many miles she has, because the odometer died 4 months after I bought it. If I had to guess, I would say over 250k. (I drive a LOT!) It loves the open road and gets wonderful gas mileage. It has had a few mechanical problems. I've replaced the alternator 5 times (!), and in the last three years, I replaced the clutch plate, a control arm, and the fuel sending unit. And the motor on the driver's seat belt died LONG ago. Still a good car.

It won't die!
By writerdianalee on 03/10/12 20:17 PM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I have no idea how many miles I have on this SC2 (auto, not manual) as the odometer stopped working a few years ago. I'm guessing 155,000. I have had to replace a few things on it, most significantly the motherboard for $500. I have a crack in the windshield (sat it in the hot Cali sun for years), the seat belt thingy is cracked and will probably fail sometime, replaced the coolant tank ($10 from junkyard) and the timing belt made me nutty for years until I found a mechanic who fixed it (FINALLY). New brakes and tires last year (2011) - it's now 19 yeas old and still drives like a dream. My sons want to drive it off a cliff to force me to buy a new car but NOPE. Bot it for $4,400 10 yrs ago!

17 years, 92,000 miles & loved this car
By WIllamKy on 07/12/10 19:38 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My first brand new car purchase 17 years ago, so I got to pick all the features I wanted. I would still be driving this car but my husband and son don't fit in in comfortably kids do grow up and get tall. So sad to see it go, I bet it would last another 92,000 miles. My mechanic bought it because it's a great car (and I took care of it). Anyway, had to replace the alternator, the odometer cluster, brakes and tires. But not bad for 17 years. Interior was in beautiful shape too (cloth), they knew how to build cars then, wish they would put those great big windows in today's cars, they were a lot easy to see out of the rear view mirror. Happy driving, I'll never forget that car!

Drove until the wheels fell off
By KMH93 on 10/26/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought car new in 1993. I am finally going to put this car to rest on its 17th Birthday. It has been aweome. It currently has 527K miles on the originally engine. I got the 5 speed std and have replaced the clutch once at almost 300K miles (Wierd). I drive lots of miles but mostly freeway. I have performed standard maintenance on the car from day one. I changed oil every 5 or 6K but I have used only synthetics. 17 yrs major repairs are 2 timing chains, three upper engine mounts, one fuel pump, two catalytic converters, mufflers, two wheel hubs,front seat and one AC sys conversion. She Needs valve job (Repair Cost 1700, bought the car for 12K) last car payment 12/1996. Outlasted 6 other cars.

Easy to maintain
By mcrod on 04/28/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

This little car have been very dependable as I am able to maintain 36 - 38 miles highway in the warmer months and 25 -27 city. Besides from normal wear and tear parts are easy to replace Alternator, Brakes, Radiator and suspension . However as it is a 4 cylinder you will have to add oil on a regular basis. Another thing to watch out for is the crank sensor which can make you think the timing has jumped but the timing chain on this model last forever. Nice dependable plastic car

15 years and still going strong
By Betty B. on 03/15/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Good little car. Rides well even after all these years. Had the brakes replaced a few times (once under warranty, alternator replaced twice but other than regular maintenance & oil changes haven't had much problem with it. Still gets good mileage. It's not the smoothest running car or the most powerful but it is a very economical and easy to drive car. Except for a few dings the body still looks good. I still drive it everyday but will soon give it to my son who needs an old economical car to drive back and forth to work. After 15 1/2 years I,m going to miss it.

Great old car
By Cybrune on 01/20/09 15:54 PM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got my 1993 Saturn SL1 3 years ago when I was 16. The car had 188,000 miles on it. And it ran great. It got upwards of 32 MPG highway. Know my car has almost 229,000 mile and still runs great. And even know that I live in the city I get 25 MPG (city mileage of course). so overall a great start out car. Very reliable and fun to drive

Best old used car I've ever had
By Tanya C. on 04/04/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my SL2 w/ 71000 miles on it. It ran really well for a long time and was very reliable but then as it got older it started leaking oil (around 100K miles), the motorized seatbelts stopped working which made it tough to get it inspected, some of the interior in the car cracked, and if it got too cold outside (now I live in VA where we have just a few truly cold days a winter) it wouldn't start. It was good on gas, and even though it was a 4 cyl it still had pretty good power to it. I eventually just traded it in because it was just so old and it had a lot of minor problems and I got tired of paying to fix and tweak all these little things on it.

It's an OK Car
By Tibbi on 03/25/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My Mom got me this car back in '95 when I was a sophomore in college and despite the minor downfalls I have had with it (brakes, transmission, tires), at about 102,000 miles it is still serving me well.

Perfect First Car
By Kurtis on 01/17/08 11:28 AM (PST)

1993 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I got a good job out of high school, but is over an hours drive there, an hour back so I've put lots of miles on my Saturn. Bought it w/114k miles on it. I put 14k on it myself in the last 2 years and it still runs like it's brand new! Great handling all seasons, comfortable, affordable, low insurence, and relatively fast for a 4 cylinder.