1992 Saturn S-Series SL2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Great First Car
By spacedude86 on 06/02/10 11:57 AM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, and it was a great little gas saver. If you plan on picking one up, do it. It was reliable for about 25K miles before I had to put about $500 into a new alternator. Lacked horsepower or an real luxury features, but that's not what you're buying this car for. You're buying this car for a little commuter car than will get you from point A to point B. I thought it was fun to drive. It's light weight almost makes up for the lack of power. Fun through the corners.

GM really blew it, getting rid of Saturn
By Kevin on 04/30/10 12:11 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I had been looking at Saturns after returning from 3 years in Germany (USAF). My Olds moved-up my plans, and a young airman on base was selling her's before going to the UK. The bare-bones SL at least had A/C, and the optional CD player! I normally had 33 to 35 mpg, and as high as 40 mpg, and using the A/C with wife, two kids, and luggage in the car! Yes, it was burring oil towards the end, and the materials used inside weren't the best, but I had over 250,000 miles on the car. GM made a big mistake by rebadging some Saturns as Chevys, Pontiacs, etc. Then they went away from that wonderful "lost-foam" cast 1.9L motor. GM should have stayed with the SL/SC line, and added the Vue, & Sky

America's cheap econo car
By T. Patten on 08/23/08 20:50 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 156k on it and have put almost 10k on it no problems at all. Great mileage 42 mpg at best 36 mpg at worst and 39 mpg avr. If you arer looking for cheap and a gas saver buy one of these. Pretty basic but gets the job done

Nice Beginner Car
By sean on 08/08/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I was 15. I got awesome gas mileage even when I drove it like a maniac. It is a good car for beginner drivers. I learned manual in it and so did my little cousin.

It was OK
By betteroffwithaford on 08/02/06 23:16 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $1000 about a year ago with 92k on it. I wasn't a big fan of it, but hey it was cheap. The front facia's clearcoat was peeling. The first thing I noticed was the left wheel bearing, then went the right. during that short period of nothing going wrong it was a great car to drive, awesome on gas and just a great car in general. Then my alternator blew. Then finally my tranny was skipping 3rd gear so it had to go. My advice do not get a Saturn that is older than a 1995.

Keeps on tickin'
By BLS on 01/18/05 15:49 PM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 83,000 miles on it and now have 220,000. Between then and now, it has been through hot and cold, fast and slow, and has been totaled and repaired and is still highly reliable transportation. The A/C compressor cracked about three years ago, but repair would have been more than the car was worth. Other than this, routine maintenance has been its only demand. Now in its golden years, cosmetic items are breaking and wearing, but it still fulfills its mission: reliable transportation! A great value!

My red Serrari
By Elmodorph on 11/23/04 21:45 PM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car since 2001 and I must say people get annoyed when I pass them on the highway. I am a road warrior by trade and I love my manual shift, manual window with the cruise control option. If you read the review from 11 sep 04 by Klaire it is exactly what I would say but I donít have power windows so I donít have that problem. I commonly take it over 100 mph and it goes. My favorite upgrade is my wider tires it brings the handling and stability to new levels. Warning do not drive over 100 mph with the stock sized tires! My other vehicles are a BMW 5 series, Volkswagen passat. I love my cheesy Saturn. Itís the cheapest to maintain.

I still love my Saturn
By Klaire on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage - between 32- 35MPG in the city. Very reliable & excellent in the snow as long as you have good tires. Cheap interior - the power window has a tendency not to work and the plastic is low grade but mechanically, this car just goes and goes. The 5 speed standard is peppy and easy to drive. Seats are comfortable and visibility within the car is also good. Engine drags when the A/C is on though.

Surprising car
By Bobmobile on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year and it still runs good after 145k miles. It starts every day during Canadian winter. It's reliable, fast and fun to drive with the 5-speed transmission. I surprised some cars with 16.67s for ľ mile. Some plastics feel real cheap and it burns oil, but it's not expensive to repair. Other problems, the gas gauge and A/C aren't working anymore.

D.SATURN
By jan dean on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan

Just recently bought this vehicle off of a private owner. Seems to run real good and the perfomance is good. The body style, I like it pretty good. The difference is that I've went from a dodge minivan to this car. This was a big step for me, whom is a mother of 2 small children. Important is it has enough room for the hole family, but at the same time, it is still small enough to still look real sporty. Gas mileage is wonderful!!!