1992 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Great First Car
By spacedude86 on 06/02/10 11:57 AM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, and it was a great little gas saver. If you plan on picking one up, do it. It was reliable for about 25K miles before I had to put about $500 into a new alternator. Lacked horsepower or an real luxury features, but that's not what you're buying this car for. You're buying this car for a little commuter car than will get you from point A to point B. I thought it was fun to drive. It's light weight almost makes up for the lack of power. Fun through the corners.

America's cheap econo car
By T. Patten on 08/23/08 20:50 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 156k on it and have put almost 10k on it no problems at all. Great mileage 42 mpg at best 36 mpg at worst and 39 mpg avr. If you arer looking for cheap and a gas saver buy one of these. Pretty basic but gets the job done

Nice Beginner Car
By sean on 08/08/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I was 15. I got awesome gas mileage even when I drove it like a maniac. It is a good car for beginner drivers. I learned manual in it and so did my little cousin.

It was OK
By betteroffwithaford on 08/02/06 23:16 PM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $1000 about a year ago with 92k on it. I wasn't a big fan of it, but hey it was cheap. The front facia's clearcoat was peeling. The first thing I noticed was the left wheel bearing, then went the right. during that short period of nothing going wrong it was a great car to drive, awesome on gas and just a great car in general. Then my alternator blew. Then finally my tranny was skipping 3rd gear so it had to go. My advice do not get a Saturn that is older than a 1995.

My red Serrari
By Elmodorph on 11/23/04 21:45 PM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car since 2001 and I must say people get annoyed when I pass them on the highway. I am a road warrior by trade and I love my manual shift, manual window with the cruise control option. If you read the review from 11 sep 04 by Klaire it is exactly what I would say but I don’t have power windows so I don’t have that problem. I commonly take it over 100 mph and it goes. My favorite upgrade is my wider tires it brings the handling and stability to new levels. Warning do not drive over 100 mph with the stock sized tires! My other vehicles are a BMW 5 series, Volkswagen passat. I love my cheesy Saturn. It’s the cheapest to maintain.

I still love my Saturn
By Klaire on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage - between 32- 35MPG in the city. Very reliable & excellent in the snow as long as you have good tires. Cheap interior - the power window has a tendency not to work and the plastic is low grade but mechanically, this car just goes and goes. The 5 speed standard is peppy and easy to drive. Seats are comfortable and visibility within the car is also good. Engine drags when the A/C is on though.

the truth
By stratz on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

great car i love it 12years and running strong

Dependable Manual Transmission
By cheffer on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have driven my SL for almost 200,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, battery, brakes, oil, and an alternator

save you money!
By Sir It Got Better! on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

purchased 160K now DEAD at 280K. burns a LOT of oil - 1 L of oil with every 2nd fuel up! Good fuel econ. Problems include: alternator died, battery died, clutch died, and now the engine is dead - broke 5 of 8 rocker arms on start-up!! Was good for a while but soon became a major pain. Put on a lot of miles and is NOT comfortable on long trips. Parts VERY expensive (windshield, engine parts, etc) not many were made at time of manufacture and some parts are impossible to find (such as a set of new rocker arms!) Enjoy while you can but dump it off before the miles get to high!

Look beyond the cover
By allaps on 02/24/02 12:05 PM (PST)

1992 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 92 Saturn SL1 for almost ten years and it still runs like a top. It has started every day except one time when the weather dipped into the below zero marker once. With a jump start it was fine. To this day, the engine sounds the same as the day I bought it. It now has 92,000 miles on it. I have since stepped up my purchasing power over the years, but I can honesting say this is the best car I've ever owned and I'd buy another one for my family any day.