Used 1991 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1991 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Quick Little Munchkin alot of Bang for the Buck!
By daytonajay

1991 Saturn S-Series SC 2dr Coupe

I have had every car from Hondas to Corvettes and The Saturn SC-2 is jammed packed with alot of performance for a 1.9 ltr. I have taken this car to the limit from straight on runs and throught the twisties and this car performs like a champ! It will take out most V6 camaros and V6 Mustangs of the same era like there standing still in a drag race, and from about 70 to 100 mph it will leave another newer tech car in its class in the dust. With a little tweeking such as a decent performance muffler and a simple added Performance chip, a K&N cold air intake or any other, it really gives this car some serious power for a car in its class. + 90 degree angle corners without a squeel from the tires

Favorite Features

Straight line power, Handling is fantasic, it never breaks down, 30 MPG all day long.. You cant go Wrong..

Suggested Improvements

They took the time to put a factory Header on the car and then they unfortunatley used a 1 7/8 " exaust to a cheapy muffer.. All that it needed to give it an extra 5 tenths of a second "1 tenth is about 1 cars length in the quarter mile" was just give it a performance muffler and a cold air intake so that this car can breath.. then you have a serious little sports car on your hands..

Good for a cheap little car
By Ian

1991 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have really enjoyed my little Saturn. I bought it with 200,000 miles on it and 5,000 miles later, it still runs strong. I used to have a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird, and this is tons better then the Pontiac was. It was definitely worth the $650 that I payed for it.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior styling and the easy to work/see controls. I also LOVE the good gas mileage. I average around 280 miles per tank of gas. I also like how it handles around corners.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like how if you open the door in the rain, water falls right onto the seat. it's only a drop or two, but still annoying. I also wish that there was a cup holder.

Not like your Saturn
By SoloRacer

1991 Saturn S-Series SC 2dr Coupe

O.K., so this Saturn isn't exactly like yours - with a threaded adjustable coil- over suspension, beefed up shocks/struts/sway bars/cross- braces/bushings/etc., racing seats, 5- pt harnesses, header, exhaust, and on and on. However, it just demonstrates that Saturn started out making a very solid little car with a lot of torque and a stiff suspension. 15 years later, it's still a dynamic little race car. It won the 2000 Solo Nationals in E Stock, and it's in development now in Street Touring. It's no Honda Civic, but no Honda Civic ever had 121lbft of torque at 4800 RPM.

Favorite Features

Have I not mentioned the torque? You just won't expect it when it happens. Open up the air intake and the exhaust, and it really comes to life. It's going to cost you in tires though, if you do (unless, of course, you upgrade the suspension too).

Suggested Improvements

Well, the SC is long-gone. It was already dead when they put the 3rd door in it. However, dual control arms in font would have been nice. So would the option for rear disc brakes without also getting ABS in the deal (Saturn ABS is sub-par). BRING IT BACK, BABY!

Quick, Exciting Ride
By Southern_Komfort

1991 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn 9 months ago and i have lots of great things to say about it. First off, excellent fuel economy helps the driver on a budget. Second, in spite of it's 4-cyc engine it is quite quick. i have about 25,000 miles on it already and have had to change nothing mechanically (besides what i messed up myself tryin to upgrade). Great car to drive and own.

Suggested Improvements

seats get worn and metal shows after prolong sitting.

Great Transport
By MKNINJA

1991 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the fall of 2002 strictly for transport back and forth to work 50 miles each way. seeming the gas in my new zr2 was casting a mint just to get to work. i was a little nervous buying a car with 173k, but i checked the car out and it runs outstanding!! No knock pings nothing. i have put more tha 10k on this car in the last 6 months and have nothing but great things to say about this little car.

Favorite Features

mpg 39.5 avg. Mostly freeway driving. plastc body panels...