Used 2005 Saturn Relay Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Relay - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Relay model:

Worst car ever
By gallagher

2005 Saturn Relay 3 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It is very sad that I report on this. At first we thought it was a good and boy were we wrong. It was given to us by a friend that need us to take over payments and our credit was to bad to get one on our own. Now we are stuck with a lemon nothing but problems - bad brakes, door, tires, trim, abs brakes and the dealers has bad service and now that it is out of warranty.

Not Safe for any Family!
By CS79

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van for 3 years and its been nothing but a headache. It was in the shop 2 days after purchase for a auto sliding door malfunction. The headlights have malfunctioned in the middle of the night on a car trip out of state. We were stranded until daylight until we could drive it to the nearest dealership, and it took them a week to fix it!!! Worst of all are the breaks. The brakes malfunction from time to time, and the ABS light comes on. I've had it in the dealership's shop 8 times just for this problem, and they won't fix it! They keep telling me they can't get an error code. All together I've had it in the shop 20 times in 3 years. Don't buy this van!

The DVD player with wireless headphones for the kids.

Everything, this car is a hazard and I won't be surprised if someone gets hurt eventually because of the poor manufacturing.

Must have got a good one
By Really Lucky

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2005 Relay II new in November 2004. Car has been up and down the east coast. First long distance trip went from DE to CT and back on 3/4 of tank...impressive. As the years and miles went by notice problems. Power sliding door would automatically open when you tried to close it. Suspension problem with left bushing covered under warranty. Lastly, never resolved was the dimming dashboard that was told to be a problem with alternator. This was replaced under warranty but got progressively worse again.

Power, DVD entertainment, power sliding door (when it worked properly) interior room.

If they decide to make again they need to correct electrical and suspension problems.

JUNK
By YoseMom

2005 Saturn Relay 3 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

JUNK I had been waiting for over five years for Saturn to come out with a minivan. But this is not a Saturn (and Saturn isn't the company it used to be) it is a piece of junk. Constantly in the shop. Over heats going uphills (even with the heater on full blast)Brakes unreliable, smoke going down hill even in 2nd gear, sometimes brakes don't take when coming to stop signs. Finally got the ABS light fixed $2000 later. Passenger door still doesn't close right. Makes grinding noise sometimes when starts, sometimes doesn't start at all. NOT SAFE. I wish I had never bought it. Still owe between $5000 and $10000 more than it's worth on it. Anyone heard of any class action suits with/about it yet?

When it works it does drive well on curves.

Start over from scratch. Better Breaks (maybe less mass tonnage as well), Better Engine, no weird wind noise, sliding doors that work right, ABS light that works right, Engine that doesn't over heat. Did I mention Better Breaks? Re-haul all of Saturn make it the company it used to be when it started

The typical van
By jack

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Before the purchase of the Relay 2, we had two Dodge Grand Caravans. This realy is heads and shoulders above those previous vans. It is comfortable, powerful, handles ok and is reliable. We once had a problem when we overfilled our gas tank, but hav had no real problems since. Now, we need brakes at 30k, but that is the only problem it has had. I hope to get seveal more years of good service out of it before it gets sacrafiiced. So far, this has been a good vehicle.

DVD player, good stereo, good power, good comfort and lots of nooks and crannies.

The brakes are under designed and the rest of the vehicle seems to have poor This vehicle is not really fun to drive, but seem adequate. Its reliablility from other owners is a real concern. I would be concerned that GM threw this one over the fence, shame! I would buy a Japanese design next time