2005 Saturn Relay - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Relay model:
unhappy owner
By saturn owner on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have 2 powered doors and have had nothing but problems with them. They have opened while driving 75mph down the highway and GM is refusing to fix them even though we have a 16 page detailed service report of these on going problems. Put the doors aside and the other issues we have had with this very expensive vehicle and it is a great ride. It is a very comfortable and smooth ride. But I will never buy another GM vehicle again, we were sold a lemon of a vehicle and GM just tells us too bad. Hopefully not everyone is having the same problems we are. But I would not recommend buying this vehicle to anyone. The dvd screen is way too small for the kids to see it good from in back.

Problems with start up
By Jenn on 07/14/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Saturn Relay for the exception that since I bought the van if I did not push the gas peddle when I started the van then it would cut off on me. The van came with a warranty and took it to a dealership to be fixed and was told that it was the fuel pump. The replaced the fuel pump and now it is still having the same problem. Saturn has told me that it is just what "those" vans do. I will never get stranded it will always crank, it just might take several times before it starts.

Worst purchase of my life
By neverdriveasaturn on 06/16/09 04:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing new, except proof of serious probs that should have resulted in recalls. Numerous prob with ABS and traction control systems going out--replaced sensors four times at a cost of $500+ twice(other two times were under part warranty).Had probs with rotors warping immediately after purchase, replaced at 35000 miles.Also had probs with cupping tires(on third set at 67000 miles).Warped tire rods. Auto door opener stopped working.Lever to fold 3rd broke.Depreciation!Traded this one in last week when we were upside down on the loan by $4000 because it was too costly to keep.Our cost to own this one for 3.5 yrs-over $40,000(purchase of $28000 and the rest in repairs, not incl. gas at 20mpg)

Not Safe for any Family!
By CS79 on 11/05/08 07:00 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van for 3 years and its been nothing but a headache. It was in the shop 2 days after purchase for a auto sliding door malfunction. The headlights have malfunctioned in the middle of the night on a car trip out of state. We were stranded until daylight until we could drive it to the nearest dealership, and it took them a week to fix it!!! Worst of all are the breaks. The brakes malfunction from time to time, and the ABS light comes on. I've had it in the dealership's shop 8 times just for this problem, and they won't fix it! They keep telling me they can't get an error code. All together I've had it in the shop 20 times in 3 years. Don't buy this van!

Must have got a good one
By Really Lucky on 10/22/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2005 Relay II new in November 2004. Car has been up and down the east coast. First long distance trip went from DE to CT and back on 3/4 of tank...impressive. As the years and miles went by notice problems. Power sliding door would automatically open when you tried to close it. Suspension problem with left bushing covered under warranty. Lastly, never resolved was the dimming dashboard that was told to be a problem with alternator. This was replaced under warranty but got progressively worse again.

The typical van
By jack on 06/05/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Before the purchase of the Relay 2, we had two Dodge Grand Caravans. This realy is heads and shoulders above those previous vans. It is comfortable, powerful, handles ok and is reliable. We once had a problem when we overfilled our gas tank, but hav had no real problems since. Now, we need brakes at 30k, but that is the only problem it has had. I hope to get seveal more years of good service out of it before it gets sacrafiiced. So far, this has been a good vehicle.

LEMON!!! Don't buy one of these cars
By jamikey on 04/29/08 17:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had multiple problems with this car. My side paneling has peeled off 3 times now, the ABS system has had problems, and the remote sliding door has been replaced and the remote for it doesn't even work. That is just a few of the problems associated with the car. My latest problem is the engine blew in the car (yes, that is right!!) while in another state. They said that there was a bulletin about this potential problem, but since there hasn't been very many people with this problem, it wasn't a recall. The car has 26,000 miles on it. I have 2 children and do not feel safe driving this car. The child lock on rear door also locks on its own, trapping kids inside. Dangerous car!

Hit or Miss
By Bsrice on 04/11/08 05:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 05 Relay new, great price (I thought till depreciation hit)DVD player was a must have. Did good on gas mileage 28-30. Had problems from the start with molding, carpet, auto door, cupping tires every 8 K miles. Put 3 sets on, told no problem with car, yet camber set so off by Saturn specs, rotor issues, lights flickering. Ended up eating the depreciation and buying a 06 Jeep Liberty. Was a good little van if they spent more time in testing, could have had a nice price nich in the market.

Crapola from GM
By 62Sunbeam on 03/24/08 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Three years on I am still kicking myself for buying this horrible vehicle! I have never in all my life seen a more poorly made vehicle on the road. This includes a mid 80's Sonata. This car has been in the dealer more times than all of my precious cars combined. Faulty ABS system, Bad brakes, bad A/C, bad DVD, bad front wheel bearings, bad side doors, bad suspension, bad parking brake adjuster, bad side trim, and overall horrendous build quality. I would sell it but it has NO replacement value and I foolishly took out a loan to buy it. so it is now worth about 8 grand less than I owe. I tried to have the warranty extended as a courtesy but I was told to take a hike and with 34000 on th

I see it's not just me
By mike d on 03/17/08 18:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I do not know how many times I have had this van to the dealer. Things replaced off the top of my head, fuel sensor, radio,and windshield wiper motor to list a few. There is a constant noise in the front hubcaps when going 20 mph like sticking a playing card in a bike tire. Was told they fixed it with spacer washer in the lugs. No it is still there. They can't fix the front cupholders will not close or open properly. Need new tires and brakes at 30,000. This might be one of the cheaper suv/minivans out there but for 22000+ I expect a decent vehicle this is not. Can't wait till my lease is up to get into something else. Anything has to be better then this. Buyer Beware!!