Used 2005 Saturn Relay 2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Relay - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn Relay

View reviews for a specific Relay model:

unhappy owner
By saturn owner

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have 2 powered doors and have had nothing but problems with them. They have opened while driving 75mph down the highway and GM is refusing to fix them even though we have a 16 page detailed service report of these on going problems. Put the doors aside and the other issues we have had with this very expensive vehicle and it is a great ride. It is a very comfortable and smooth ride. But I will never buy another GM vehicle again, we were sold a lemon of a vehicle and GM just tells us too bad. Hopefully not everyone is having the same problems we are. But I would not recommend buying this vehicle to anyone. The dvd screen is way too small for the kids to see it good from in back.

Suggested Improvements

They did stop making these vehicles because of the major issues they are having with the doors coming open while driving.

Problems with start up
By Jenn

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Saturn Relay for the exception that since I bought the van if I did not push the gas peddle when I started the van then it would cut off on me. The van came with a warranty and took it to a dealership to be fixed and was told that it was the fuel pump. The replaced the fuel pump and now it is still having the same problem. Saturn has told me that it is just what "those" vans do. I will never get stranded it will always crank, it just might take several times before it starts.

Favorite Features

Comfy, nice smooth ride, roomy on inside and kids love DVD player

Worst purchase of my life
By neverdriveasaturn

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing new, except proof of serious probs that should have resulted in recalls. Numerous prob with ABS and traction control systems going out--replaced sensors four times at a cost of $500+ twice(other two times were under part warranty).Had probs with rotors warping immediately after purchase, replaced at 35000 miles.Also had probs with cupping tires(on third set at 67000 miles).Warped tire rods. Auto door opener stopped working.Lever to fold 3rd broke.Depreciation!Traded this one in last week when we were upside down on the loan by $4000 because it was too costly to keep.Our cost to own this one for 3.5 yrs-over $40,000(purchase of $28000 and the rest in repairs, not incl. gas at 20mpg)

Favorite Features

DVD player

Suggested Improvements

None.

Not Safe for any Family!
By CS79

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this van for 3 years and its been nothing but a headache. It was in the shop 2 days after purchase for a auto sliding door malfunction. The headlights have malfunctioned in the middle of the night on a car trip out of state. We were stranded until daylight until we could drive it to the nearest dealership, and it took them a week to fix it!!! Worst of all are the breaks. The brakes malfunction from time to time, and the ABS light comes on. I've had it in the dealership's shop 8 times just for this problem, and they won't fix it! They keep telling me they can't get an error code. All together I've had it in the shop 20 times in 3 years. Don't buy this van!

Favorite Features

The DVD player with wireless headphones for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Everything, this car is a hazard and I won't be surprised if someone gets hurt eventually because of the poor manufacturing.

Must have got a good one
By Really Lucky

2005 Saturn Relay 2 Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2005 Relay II new in November 2004. Car has been up and down the east coast. First long distance trip went from DE to CT and back on 3/4 of tank...impressive. As the years and miles went by notice problems. Power sliding door would automatically open when you tried to close it. Suspension problem with left bushing covered under warranty. Lastly, never resolved was the dimming dashboard that was told to be a problem with alternator. This was replaced under warranty but got progressively worse again.

Favorite Features

Power, DVD entertainment, power sliding door (when it worked properly) interior room.

Suggested Improvements

If they decide to make again they need to correct electrical and suspension problems.