2008 Saturn Outlook Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Outlook - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlook model:
Transmission Failure ~ so far GM not doing anything
By Jessica Hudson Dostie on 02/26/15 05:24 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

-25 f, 2 hours away from home, 7 pm at night, two kids in the car, and treacherous road conditions ~ transmission fails! This problem is widespread & it isnt hundred of cars affected, its thousands and probably tens of thousands . So far GM is doing nothing ~ apparently it takes people dying to issue major recalls, and even then it takes many years and investigations by various agencies. UNACCEPTABLE and CRIMINAL ! I will certainly jump on the class action lawsuit wagon, if it exists, or when it does come to fruition. This is certainly the LAST GM product I will EVER buy! Furthermore, I will take to social media so I can to tell my story and make sure others know about these cars!

TRANSMISSION NEEDS TO BE RECALLED!!!!!!!!
By jd1979 on 12/02/14 12:14 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Sudden acceleration, hard shifting, not catching gears, slight hesitation when shifting gears is a few. It would usually work fine after pulling over and restarting the car. As time went by the car would not go out of first gear at times. It never lasted long enough to get it a half hour away to GM. I attempted to and by the time I arrived the light went off and it would be fine. Months later we had to have it towed in. AT 84,OOO MILES! two weeks later I received a call telling me what I already knew...that the 35 WAVE PLATE and VALVE CONTROL MODULE in my transmission needed replaced. Same problem EVERYONE IS HAVING w this car. Its a major flaw that needs to be RECALLED!!!!!

Worst Car I have ever Owned
By antcoop on 11/06/14 12:09 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In the past 4 months I have replaced two engine mounts, bushing, power steering pump and week later the transmission needs to be rebuilt (it is stuck in low gear and won't go in reverse). I have also had to replace the throttle body. Stay away from this car at all cost! It is a giant money pit!

So Dissappointed
By scli1 on 09/18/14 16:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Outlook XE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchase my 08 Saturn XE 3 yrs ago. The Outlook drove nicely on the open road at highway speeds. (unfortunately thats where I test drove it). On side streets, in stop and go traffic its bulky, non responsive and just not pleasant to drive. Terrible turning and very hard on tires. We get 15.5 mpg in City driving. I've never gotten near the 24 MPG on the highway. Best on a 450 mile trip was 22.5. Never saw that again. 19 - 21 is about the best I get on the same trip. I have my Saturn serviced by a professional. Always problems. Stalling, hesitation, idiot lites, etc. Always resetting codes. Making repairs. Not reliable. Going back to Ford or Dodge. My Expedition is easier to handle!

outlook transmission failure
By jerry194 on 03/19/14 08:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Over all car is "okay". Transmission has serious problems. Had to be rebuilt at 58k miles, control module replaced at 111k, speed sensor at 115k, and now looking at another rebuild at 141k. Vehicle is unreliable and I would defiantly not recommend it. GM quality is long gone, never buy another.

Great car as long as you don't want an engine that runs
By csa1 on 03/03/14 15:07 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Our 2008 Outlook has 46000 miles on it and we are having to have the engine torn down. The dreaded timing chain problem that GM claims doesn't exist in the 2008 model DOES EXIST! For some crazy reason GM has extended the timing chain warranty on every other year of this vehicle except 2008. Our last GM had cronic problems as well but not this bad. Honestly I love the vehicle but GM has lost this customer. I am so disgusted.

Nice looks, poor quality
By jswig on 01/14/14 06:42 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Outlook looks very nice. This is the reason my wife and I decided to purchase this vehicle. We didn't know they had lots of problems. Have had wheel bearings go bad at only 65,000 miles. Have leaks around the sunroof, back rotors replaced, various exterior lights not working, and now at 74000 miles the transmission is bad. This is very common with this vehicle. Buyers beware, do plenty of research first. I'm only writing this to help others out so they don't find themselves in the same situation I'm in. Go with a newer Ford or Honda --- trust me. You don't want a vehicle from a company that had to get the bailout.

Transmission troubles
By jswig on 01/06/14 11:03 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Just recently having transmission trouble. The problem is that it will not engage into drive or reverse. It just sits and revs up in any gear. I have not did anything with the car yet. Hoping someone can help me contact G.M. and get some help as I cannot afford the expense that most others have went through to get the trans fixed.

No Longer GM Customer
By lstonge1 on 03/26/13 09:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Outlook XE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Outlook looks great inside and out, unfortunately mechanicly the vehicle is garbage. I have spent more money in 11 months of ownership on my 08 Outlook than I have in my last three vehicles combined. My next SUV will be a non GM product.

Problem mobile......
By itchypopkin on 01/28/13 13:25 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Outlook XR 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been a loyal General Motors customer but that might have to change after owning this vehicle. I really like the design of this vehicle inside and out. My main complaint is that it has major problem after major problem. The only good thing is that so far everything has been under warranty. The first thing to go was the rack and pinion at 30,000 miles. At around 35,000 miles the right strut started leaking and had to be replaced. It started leaking again at 60,000 miles, I donít know if itís bad luck for me or a design flaw. The next thing to go was the water pump at 50,000. Finally at 68,000 miles the transmission went. Thankfully it was still under warranty (with only two months to spare) and the dealership had to replace 3rd, 5th and reverse gears. Overall this has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I would never recommend this vehicle to anybody. All owners appear to have the same main problems and I canít believe General Motors doesnít offer some type of buyback program as they did for the Vue.