Used 2004 Saturn L300 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon

View reviews for a specific L300 model:

Excellent car for a bargain
By Zach McDaniel

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon 1 4dr Station Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn L300 2004 in September of 2009 for $5000. It's a salvaged model, but you couldn't tell it from how the car looks and performs. It has a powerful V6 engine with all the get up and go that you need for the highway or quickly maneuvering to avoid a careless driver. The engine is most efficient at 65mph. Going at that speed, I have gone from Morgantown WV to Baltimore MD achieving 32mpg. Between highway and city driving, I usually average at 26mpg. Not bad for an 11 year old V6. It's also very quiet, which is a huge plus for me.

What really puts this car head and shoulders above above my previous is the handling. I always feet like I'm in control of the vehicle, even in foul weather. I've been able to take this car into snow storms and pouring rain and still maintain control. It does take more space to pull a U-turn than I'd like, but this has never been a problem in the field.

The interior isn't too special. My car came with cloth seats, a power driver seat, CD player, cassette player, and the premium sound system. The seats are comfortable enough, although the rear seats feel better. The radio console with the CD and cassette player is basic for its day. There is no bluetooth, AUX in jack, or multi-CD functionality. It may not be the most feature rich, but it hasn't given me any issues.

My L300 is black with the premium aluminum rims. The look is more class than sport. Although I love the way it looks, the exterior holds my biggest gripe. Because most of the panels are made of plastic, this makes the vehicle aesthetically fragile. Plastic has more give than metal. So, when someone bumps into you, even if it's gentle, you get distortions in the paint from where the plastic flexes. At a distance, you might not notice, but they become obvious as you get closer.

The Saturn L300 has been a great car for me. For the price I paid, the value has been amazing. For those who might be on a budget and need a reliable car with great performance, the Saturn L300 is a good choice.

A nice, affordable wagon
By thewildhero

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon 1 4dr Station Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving this car for 4 years, and I love it. It feels great on the road, and was very affordable. Even though I have the 4-cylinder baseline version, I've used this thing for hauling a good amount of stuff, including people that shouldn't have been riding in the back.

I do have a few issues with the car, though. The interior materials are a bit cheap. As a result, the seats are a bit uncomfortable and it isn't all that durable.

The second issue I have is a big one, writing this review in 2014: repairs are getting to be very expensive for this car. The L-series didn't exactly sell gangbusters, which means parts are getting increasingly hard to find.

Composite body panels Bright, appropriately-placed headlights Smooth suspension

None, really, considering Saturn is dead. I would have liked better interior materials, though.

Luxury Qualities at an Affordable Price
By Curt

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon 3 4dr Station Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Researched and drove many luxury wagons and found this Saturn wagon. We drove and were sold for our family of four. It has plenty of power and butter-soft leather seats. Very comfortable inside with standard side curtain airbags, big cargo area, plenty of legroom for all, good mileage and 6-speaker crisp-thumping stereo. There's more road noise than in the BMW wagon, but you'll pay dearly for that quiet ride. According to Saturn rep, the L300's weren't marketed well and hence poor sales as a result. They were discontinued in 2005 to make way for better selling models. So far we are very happy with this vehicle. Great price, Luxury feel.

Heated seats, traction control, side curtain airbags, soft leather seats similar to Volvo. Sporty look, tinted windows, dent resistant side panels, but doors feel heavy and solid. Hit passing gear and you're moving! Corners well too. Value for money is excellent. Most service not due until 100K mi.

One rear strut is leaking slightly and will need to be replaced. Heated seat setting on low feels like high.

Good little car
By Clearboy

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon 1 4dr Station Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My wife purchased this car after we had two unhappy experiences w/ VW. We have on small problem with the rear tailgate that was covered under warranty. No other problems in 55000 mi. Mileage on highway hovers around 30mpg. She purchased the vehicle due to over all value, high amount of features to price. 4cyl provides enough power for normal use. We don't pull trailers or race Corvettes with it. Overall, an excellent little wagon and an under appreciated car.

Auto headlamps, traction control, side airbags, economy of operation.

Keep making the plastic bodies. Rust never sleeps!

Our tow car
By BobE

2004 Saturn L300 Wagon 3 4dr Station Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been reliable