Used 2004 Saturn L300 Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn L300 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn L300

View reviews for a specific L300 model:

Excellent car for a bargain
By Zach McDaniel

2004 Saturn L300 1 4dr Station Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn L300 2004 in September of 2009 for $5000. It's a salvaged model, but you couldn't tell it from how the car looks and performs. It has a powerful V6 engine with all the get up and go that you need for the highway or quickly maneuvering to avoid a careless driver. The engine is most efficient at 65mph. Going at that speed, I have gone from Morgantown WV to Baltimore MD achieving 32mpg. Between highway and city driving, I usually average at 26mpg. Not bad for an 11 year old V6. It's also very quiet, which is a huge plus for me.

What really puts this car head and shoulders above above my previous is the handling. I always feet like I'm in control of the vehicle, even in foul weather. I've been able to take this car into snow storms and pouring rain and still maintain control. It does take more space to pull a U-turn than I'd like, but this has never been a problem in the field.

The interior isn't too special. My car came with cloth seats, a power driver seat, CD player, cassette player, and the premium sound system. The seats are comfortable enough, although the rear seats feel better. The radio console with the CD and cassette player is basic for its day. There is no bluetooth, AUX in jack, or multi-CD functionality. It may not be the most feature rich, but it hasn't given me any issues.

My L300 is black with the premium aluminum rims. The look is more class than sport. Although I love the way it looks, the exterior holds my biggest gripe. Because most of the panels are made of plastic, this makes the vehicle aesthetically fragile. Plastic has more give than metal. So, when someone bumps into you, even if it's gentle, you get distortions in the paint from where the plastic flexes. At a distance, you might not notice, but they become obvious as you get closer.

The Saturn L300 has been a great car for me. For the price I paid, the value has been amazing. For those who might be on a budget and need a reliable car with great performance, the Saturn L300 is a good choice.

A nice, affordable wagon
By thewildhero

2004 Saturn L300 1 4dr Station Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving this car for 4 years, and I love it. It feels great on the road, and was very affordable. Even though I have the 4-cylinder baseline version, I've used this thing for hauling a good amount of stuff, including people that shouldn't have been riding in the back.

I do have a few issues with the car, though. The interior materials are a bit cheap. As a result, the seats are a bit uncomfortable and it isn't all that durable.

The second issue I have is a big one, writing this review in 2014: repairs are getting to be very expensive for this car. The L-series didn't exactly sell gangbusters, which means parts are getting increasingly hard to find.

Composite body panels Bright, appropriately-placed headlights Smooth suspension

None, really, considering Saturn is dead. I would have liked better interior materials, though.

Feels like I'm driving a ticking time bomb
By sharon246810

2004 Saturn L300 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car at 100,000 miles for $3200. We've put 27k mi on since.
We thought we got a great deal until it began to fall apart.

We first replaced the tires, the keyless entry remote was broken, we had to replace the battery, and the cd player and radio buttons are broken.

Then the car died coming off an exit bc the fuel pump went out and was $600 to replace.
Next the A/C stopped working, then the rear brakes went out, then they went out again 4 months later because a caliper locked up. Just recently the dash and headlights started to flicker which we are told is the alternator. Then the engine light came on yesterday and the code said it's the O2 detector. What next?

I do think the exterior of the car is attractive. It's driven mostly by my husband and I think it has a masculine design for being a sedan. The interior feels pretty spacious as well. I do like that the power window controls are next to the gear shift so they're accessible to the driver and passenger.

Car feels very heavy when trying to accelerate or brake - have to keep space in mind for plenty of time to brake even with new brakes. The windshield wipers go from wiping once every 10 seconds or so at the lowest level to the next level being a fast, constant wipe. If it's raining lightly you either can't see or the wipers squeak on the windshield. Very annoying.

The L300 is a great car!
By saturnridder11

2004 Saturn L300 3 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are now finding out that saturns were built how cars were supposed to be built. Rust proof and durable. I this this model is better than the Aura style. We need saturn Back. them Cheesy commercials were funny but didn't represent the quility of theses cars 20 years later we are finding out that they were better than the rest.

Excellent Car, Very Sporty
By Dennis

2004 Saturn L300 3 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car two years ago. Absolutely the best car I have owned. My wife drove it until about 6 months ago. We bought her a 2009 Saturn Vue. So I chose to keep this L300. Very fun to drive, lots of power and still 26 MPG average. I drive it every day and thoroughly enjoy it. Quick note: Going home one evening at around 60 MPH, a deer runs out and hits the side of my L300. I got stopped to see what the damage was, and there was none. One small scratch where the hoof hit. I had no idea this car had composite panels on the doors. Why don't all vehicles have this. Can't say enough good to describe this car.

I really like the style, not crazy about the grille but, it is what it is. Wheels are very durable and look good. Leather ie great.

Why was GM so stupid to eliminate this line? I own this L300 and the 2009 Vue. They are both absolutely great. Best car buying decisions I have ever made.