2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
What's gonna fall off my Saturn next?
By julianne on 03/30/10 08:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

My fuel pump also went with out warning (at 55k). Cost to repair was 800, out of pocket. Needed new rear brakes in the first two years (less than 20k miles). Also have problems with the alloy wheels and tire rod. Have gone through 3 sets of tires in the 60k miles I've owned it. Heater core went at 57k. Transmission bottom fell out at 38k. Put in a brand new tranny at a cost of 6500 for parts and labor (insurance covered) and now the transmission has gone out again (60k miles). The bumper has literally fallen off on the highway (no collision neccesary). This is the worst car I've ever owned. Given the transmission and bumper I can honestly say I never know what will fall off this car next

Drive The Wheels Off It
By Oregon Rancher on 09/30/08 19:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

Fuel pump seems to be a problem - mine went without warning at 60K, covered under warranty. Driver's heated seat went at 100K, again, covered (barely) under warranty. Get 430 miles to the tankful, especially after a tune. At 270K, two A/C lines (aluminum) cracked, that cost me $300 out of pocket. I haul everything from ranch equipment to goats in it, plenty of room, well worth the investment. Will buy another one when this one hits the magic 500K mark, probably in two years. Stout engine, no Corvette in acceleration but better than most imports of the same age/engine size. Like the rear seat folding flat, lots of cargo space that way.

Sorta okay
By LW200sw-driver on 07/19/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

LW200 S-wagon 4cly auto-trans 44k miles owned it 2.5 yrs. Seats seem fine to me but an effort to get in and out [seats are too near center of car]. Driver door heavy push it full open & will bounce back at you [more so than other cars]. Heat/ac fan is sometimes pulsating causing headlights dash lights to flicker. Then shut it off restart fan -ok. I am living with this fan till it happens more often. Wish the back seat was made to fold down totally flat. Seems to have lots of power in 4 cyl eng, the 6 cyl would be maybe more than it needs.

I hope it lasts when payments are done.
By u35828 on 03/03/08 13:18 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it off dealer lot. I had a bug to buy a station wagon, but the European offerings weren't affordable. A car that ran fine on 87 octane gas would have precluded them from consideration, anyway. The LW200 handles the Interstate just fine; did a couple off long trips just fine. Fuel pump issues. What can I say, the LW200 had it too, mine died at 87,000 miles. Before that, the car would have trouble starting; the engine wouldn't fire up, or hesitate when mashing the gas pedal (rpms would drop before the car decided it would take off). I had to replace the AC condenser at 82000 miles; it developed a leak during a hot July day in 2007. It's an okay platform for hauling my stuff.

Lemon
By Family Man on 02/21/08 11:21 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I've had problems with this car. I bought it brand new. The biggest was the fuel pump died and left me stranded. The new fuel pump is making the same noise and I feel it's a just a matter of time to when it will leave me stranded again. A computer chip had to be replaced, the washer fluid leaked, the radiator leaked, the overhead brake lights went out, the transmission acted up, and the climate control feature never seemed to work right. We don't have a truck or minivan, so the extra space has really come in handy a few times. There have been times, though, when we decided to take my wife's 1999 vehicle with 140,000 miles on long trips because we didn't trust the LW200 would make it.

A wonderful car to drive and own
By Babbo on 03/06/07 13:23 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

We have had the Saturn 200 wagon for about 4 years. It has been a great car, that has met all of our expectations. If the seats were a little more comfortable, it would have an A+ rating from us. The car has never had any repairs. It has been serviced as required, and detailed once a year.

LW300 Euro on a Budget
By BeanMan on 03/02/06 13:41 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Station Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

6'5 3 kids and an affinity for Euro wagons. First, I fit and comfortably. My 3 boys fit (9, 9 and 5). The get up and go is great and easily will cruise at 90mph (oops). Styling ok, not as cramped as the Saab it is based on but performs almost as well. Little too much give if pushed hard in faster turns. Mileage takes a hit if I hover over 70mph. Hwy/city combined the worst I have got was 25mpg. The best was around 27mpg. AC, takes a little getting used to the Auto feature is a bit quirky, but I usually set a temp and adjust just the speed and works great. Stereo is good clean sound good volume. Leather is comfy, and love the heated seats on those long drives. Really like this car and size.

Saturns are exceptional cars
By Tiffany on 12/07/05 23:45 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Station Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car. It handles very well. I can fit both kids, all the groceries,all the coats, all the bags,a pie, a cake, whatever with room to spare. It's got plenty of power,gas mileage is o.k. but not great. This car is more than comfortable. Plus customer service is great and roadside assistance is nice to have in a pinch. Give it a try.

Not up to GM's quality
By Its gone on 05/20/05 11:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Station Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to get rid of this car because of the auto climate control. It was at the dealer twice and I was told there was no fix. I froze in the winter months. The cruise control did not work in the Colorado/New Mexico region (stayed in overdrive forever) Top gas mileage on the highway was 24 MPG. Advertised MPG was 29. I would have kept the car if it had manual air because it was fun to drive.

Good looks, not great inside
By Yehumikael on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the LW200 after driving a 4 cylinder VUE for a year. The LW is a much more comfortable ride, and it looks pretty sharp. I receive compliments on it all the time. All in all, it has been an uneventful year as far as reliability goes; no major problems to speak of.