Used 2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn L-series - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

What's gonna fall off my Saturn next?
By julianne

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

My fuel pump also went with out warning (at 55k). Cost to repair was 800, out of pocket. Needed new rear brakes in the first two years (less than 20k miles). Also have problems with the alloy wheels and tire rod. Have gone through 3 sets of tires in the 60k miles I've owned it. Heater core went at 57k. Transmission bottom fell out at 38k. Put in a brand new tranny at a cost of 6500 for parts and labor (insurance covered) and now the transmission has gone out again (60k miles). The bumper has literally fallen off on the highway (no collision neccesary). This is the worst car I've ever owned. Given the transmission and bumper I can honestly say I never know what will fall off this car next

Favorite Features

Um, the radio still works.

Suggested Improvements

Better parts quality and overall workmanship, universal parts.

Drive The Wheels Off It
By Oregon Rancher

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

Fuel pump seems to be a problem - mine went without warning at 60K, covered under warranty. Driver's heated seat went at 100K, again, covered (barely) under warranty. Get 430 miles to the tankful, especially after a tune. At 270K, two A/C lines (aluminum) cracked, that cost me $300 out of pocket. I haul everything from ranch equipment to goats in it, plenty of room, well worth the investment. Will buy another one when this one hits the magic 500K mark, probably in two years. Stout engine, no Corvette in acceleration but better than most imports of the same age/engine size. Like the rear seat folding flat, lots of cargo space that way.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, good handling, traction control, 16" wheels, roomy, easy to park, good looks, good quality paint.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the fuel pump problem, maybe make the rear hatch electric close/open, bigger center console, more power outlets.

Sorta okay
By LW200sw-driver

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

LW200 S-wagon 4cly auto-trans 44k miles owned it 2.5 yrs. Seats seem fine to me but an effort to get in and out [seats are too near center of car]. Driver door heavy push it full open & will bounce back at you [more so than other cars]. Heat/ac fan is sometimes pulsating causing headlights dash lights to flicker. Then shut it off restart fan -ok. I am living with this fan till it happens more often. Wish the back seat was made to fold down totally flat. Seems to have lots of power in 4 cyl eng, the 6 cyl would be maybe more than it needs.

Favorite Features

The oil filter is easy to change. Plastic body parts resists getting small dents from other car doors hitting. I like the overall shape of the wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel covers odd shape makes for extra wiping when washing & they look odd. Wish auto door locking system could be shut off sometimes. Back seat has bar across top stays in the way when you fold the half seat side down. Any wagon back seat should be made to fold all flat when it's down.

I hope it lasts when payments are done.
By u35828

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it off dealer lot. I had a bug to buy a station wagon, but the European offerings weren't affordable. A car that ran fine on 87 octane gas would have precluded them from consideration, anyway. The LW200 handles the Interstate just fine; did a couple off long trips just fine. Fuel pump issues. What can I say, the LW200 had it too, mine died at 87,000 miles. Before that, the car would have trouble starting; the engine wouldn't fire up, or hesitate when mashing the gas pedal (rpms would drop before the car decided it would take off). I had to replace the AC condenser at 82000 miles; it developed a leak during a hot July day in 2007. It's an okay platform for hauling my stuff.

Favorite Features

6-way power seat, heated mirrors, ABS, traction control, roof rack. Relatively easy on the wallet at the pump for a car of its size; I get 330-350 miles to a tankful (15.2 gal.cap). 16-inch AL rims are a nice touch; not sure if they help handling much. Easy-to-replace radio.

Suggested Improvements

For those considering used, the automatic climate control is unreliable, occasionally sending out pulses of air, instead of a constant stream, even when running it manually. The fuel pump is an issue, as is the AC condenser.

Lemon
By Family Man

2003 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Station Wagon (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I've had problems with this car. I bought it brand new. The biggest was the fuel pump died and left me stranded. The new fuel pump is making the same noise and I feel it's a just a matter of time to when it will leave me stranded again. A computer chip had to be replaced, the washer fluid leaked, the radiator leaked, the overhead brake lights went out, the transmission acted up, and the climate control feature never seemed to work right. We don't have a truck or minivan, so the extra space has really come in handy a few times. There have been times, though, when we decided to take my wife's 1999 vehicle with 140,000 miles on long trips because we didn't trust the LW200 would make it.