2003 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
Great Car but had electrical problems
By k_maxwell712 on 12/06/12 18:50 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

Even though this car is know to have electrical problems the are pretty expensive to fix, its still a great car. I had to replace the ignition module right around 75-80,000 miles. Then around 120,000 miles the Body Control Module(BCM) went out. The gas gauge would read at empty and the temperature light would constantly be on. The car ran like that for over a year with us just keeping track of milage for gas getting around 350 miles per tank (its about a 12 gallon tank) after a little over a year the car started acting up more and then eventually had a mind of its own when it came to starting and multiple dash lights coming on but not reading on computer scans. BCM costs around $4-500.

Weak, at best...
By fsu1 on 08/23/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I got it with 40k miles, and fought to 100k. Going with Saturn due to previous experience - seemed like a good idea. Ended up not. First year with it went ok. Regularly maintained with Saturn, then GM dealers. The following major issues occurred: BCM module failure, entire brake system failure (three times), water and fuel pump failure, and a front strut replacement. A belt broke once, but that was likely age. Sometimes it liked not to start - two new batteries in a year. The brake system completely burned out - requiring a new master cylinder, booster and rear drums. This appears to have been common. It is underpowered, rode loud, and turned like a boat. It was a poor man's Buick.

ENGINE FAILURE
By nosaturn on 07/31/12 14:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

Engine failed (blown piston) 58 days after purchase from local dealer. No warranty, no nothing. They said about $2,500 to fix it. This doesn't seem possible with any car that's a 2003 with 68,000 miles...this just should not happen. Regular dealer maintenance has always been done, regular oil and filter changes, proper fuel -- very moderate driving... What's the manufacturer doing to help owners with these problems??

Just Okay...
By bciarlo on 06/20/12 22:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in 2008 with 48K miles on it. Since then I have only put a little over 12K on it, but there have been a few problems. The first week I had it the passenger side mirror fell and shattered just from closing the door. The biggest problem was my alternator dying last year, and costing me about $800 from the Cadillac dealership, since Saturn went out of business. There is also a spring in my brake assembly that constantly comes loose, causing screeching sounds until I take it apart and re-assemble it. The car also makes a creaking sound when I enter or exit the vehicle. Overall it's a comfortable car that gets great mpg, but the build quality just isn't all there.

I LOVE MY SATURN L200
By ilovemysatur on 05/25/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my saturn for over 2 years i baught it used at 116K i have now 140K and all i have done is Roters and regulat maint. I get 38 MPG and that is with adding octane booster to every tank. i does not hurt the car. I have always had saturns and this is one of the most reliable ones i have had my SL2 i have had to replace the cluch at 2000 miles and the radiator and all kinds of other stuff i have not had to do with my L200 THIS Car has saved my ass form the SL2 too many times to count. ran a carfax on it and found NOTHING so this is a WONDERFUL car.

I love my saturn!
By cbommarito on 11/19/11 15:13 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

i have owned my 2003 saturn brandnew from the dealer ever since we made it. =] i love it very much i have had no problems with it. owning it for 9 years it only has 70,ooo miles on it and it only has a few scratches on it and a few dings. i love it sooo much.

Good vehicle for class/category
By tclefton on 05/25/11 08:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Saturn in October of 2007. It had 65k miles on it. It now has 120k on it and I've only had to replace the fuel pump. It is a little noisy and rough riding at higher speeds, but most cars are in this class/category/price range. I get about 26mpg city/hwy combined. Everything still works on it fine, and everything is still in it's proper place. Everyone gets a lemon now and then no matter what make of vehicle you buy... I'm glad I'm not one of them with my Saturn purchase. I will keep this car till it dies.

Never buy this car
By wewearoutcars on 04/27/11 12:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

We want to add our voice to the choir of unhappy saturn owners. Our car is currently in the shop and we have been told the rear break system and fuel pump require replacement and the car has only 80k miles. There have been little parts of the car falling off all the time (knobs, door foam, pieces of plastic we never were able to identify where they came from). The gas mileage has been mediocre for the price of the vehicle. The drive has also been okay, sometimes getting very noisy over 70 mph. We will never, never, never buy a saturn again and we tell all our friends to find something else.

Stay Away!
By april1030 on 04/24/11 21:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I had nothing but problems out of this car. The tires were shot that was $600. The coolant tank had a hole in it, $120. The BCM locked up, $600. The water pump was leaking, $600. The A/C stopped working, never fixed it (I was scared of the cost). Rear brakes went out, $735. Front Rotors bent, around $600. I only had the car 4 years! The interior is cheap and rattles. I felt like I was going to go flying off the road when it rainedor when I hit a bump in the road. I finally traded it in for a Ford. Save yourself some money and do not buy this car

Love This Car
By Zandra on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2 L 4cyl 4A)

I fell in Love with my Saturn L200. She is a beautiful car. I wish Saturn was not going away. My dream was to own one of their Sky (sporty) vehicles. She is dependable, and I still get compliments on her. I really wish Saturn had made it through the bad economy. I will miss them. They made a great affordable American Car. My baby is at 97,000 miles, and I pray she will still hold strong for many more miles to come.