Used 2002 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn L-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

Best car ever
By dtom110cc

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year ... My mom had it before me. I am 16 yrs old so as any 16 yr old I am rough with my car. I drove over 7500 miles in one summer not a single problem. I get from 25 to 45+mpg. So I would recommend this vehicle for anyone!

Favorite Features

Very dependable and Great handling

Suggested Improvements

better sound system

Very solid
By Krel

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With the V6 it is definitely fun to drive, which has an impact on the fuel mileage . . . This is my 2nd Saturn and I really like the way the driver's controls are arranged. Have put over 100k miles on it in 4 years and now has over 175k miles on it. Starting to see some maintenance issues with parts failing, but the major systems such as tranny, engine, etc are still doing fine. Annoying problem with the AC leaking into the driver's compartment, and the soft rotors have warped somewhat and essentially need replaced each time the brakes are replaced.

Favorite Features

The headlamps are excellent. It is easy to see even without the high- beams. The mirror defrost is great. Solid body construction. Love the V6. The sunroof is great. Handles well in all weather as long as you have good tires.

Suggested Improvements

Many plastic parts or covers on the undercarriage that do not hold up well over time. The seat is decent, but not really comfortable for frequent or extended use. The fog lamps are completely useless.

Good until 100k mi
By Mikki

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Saturn for nearly 5 yrs now and I was initially very pleased with it. Once it hit 100k,it started going downhill. I've had to replace the windshield wiper motor 4 times in 4 years. The rear tires seem to wear out easily; I can't keep track of how many times I've replaced them. I put a new master cylinder 2 wks ago and my brakes are still giving me trouble even with new pads and rotors. The drive belt has been replaced twice. The front center console lid broke off and the Saturn emblems on the exterior of the vehicle never stay put. The a/c compressor is loud and there is a clicking noise when I turn the heat on.I am in the process of letting it go!

Favorite Features

Good exterior, resisted minor fender benders. Very safe; plenty of airbags and reliable ABS. Trunk is very roomy. Wood grain and sound quality of stereo are great features. Very good engine!

Suggested Improvements

The windshield wiper motor is unreliable. Not enough space in the rear seat. Decals always fall off the exterior. Car seems to get too hot when heat is on, improvements needed on the heating system.

not for snowy roads
By Kim

2002 Saturn L-Series LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles very very very poorly on snow - worst I've ever owned (I've owned 5 other cars). I am looking to replace the car because of this. The front end is light and the traction control comes on when the car is on a slight incline on a wet road or road with a bit of small sandy/pebbley debris. I have never had snow tires (live in NJ) but never had an issue until this car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage - 30 miles per gallon highway!

Suggested Improvements

more weight upfront and/or only offer this model with a V-6. Of course the car is no longer manufactured so none of this matters.

Never Again
By jcollins

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I swear by Hondas, but when we got married my wife had a 2002 Saturn L200. So, let's itemize repairs in the last year: 83k - body control module fails. $500 at the Saturn dealer. 85k - catalytic Converter clogs and fails. Dealer wants $1500 to replace. I did it myself for $400 in parts. 88k - brake master cylinder goes, this would probably be $250 job at the mechanic, but I did the it for $100 in parts. 94k - The timing chain stretched and jumped time, smashed valves and ruined the engine. I got a used engine and upgraded timing kit for $900 plus $600 in labor for a mechanic friend to drop it in. For reference, at a dealer a new engine is $3800 plus about $1600 in labor.

Favorite Features

None. There is nothing this car does better than a Honda Civic or Accord. Of course an Accord initially is 2-3X as much in price, but you get what you pay for (and a Honda will not depreciate like a Saturn either).

Suggested Improvements

I had own a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, which has mediocre qualify, and had hoped GM improved in 10 years, but this Saturn is 10X worse. At least the Bonneville last 165k miles before blowing the tranny from abuse. This Saturn was never abused and still managed to break numerous times.