2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
My first car, everything & then some.
By jamesghee on 02/16/13 10:39 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The '02 Saturn L300 was my first car. I didn't know much about cars, but I would soon learn. It being 10 years old (Got it in 2012), it obviously needed some work done. The 3.0L V6 provided excellent pick up on demand, and gas mileage was pretty decent. The leather seats were in great condition, and the interior design was pretty decent for a 10 year old car. I'm about 6'0 ft tall, and cabinet room was excellent. The car has great visibility, and drivability is through the roof. I would definitely buy this car again.

My first car
By rinyotsu on 03/24/12 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I Love this car! I first got it in Nov, 2008, senior year of high school. I originally drove like a granny driver, slow to keep my mileage up even though I lived less than a mile from school and didn't really leave town until I started college. The original engine had succumb to the timing chain issue so we had a new one put in. The new engine, at first, had horrible compression and I'm surprised the car made the 60+ mile trip home, then another 20 miles to a friend's to get the compression test. This car appeared to not want to give up on me since I didn't give up on it. A can of restore with a full synthetic oil change and spark plugs and she's running better than many cars on the road.

Low quality, low price
By olderage on 12/03/11 19:49 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The L-Series is like all Saturns: unreliable. Before I bought it, my example had a broken timing chain and damaged engine at 89k (common!). Soon thereafter the fuel pump failed ($1k parts and labor; common). Now, at just over 100k, the turn signals are working intermittently (hazard light switch; common), and there is a severe judder when launching in first gear--especially in the cold. I'm sure that will be cheap to fix! I bought this car to live debt free, and for that I am grateful for the low purchase price. If the maintenance doesn't increase, then I'll feel wise. It is a smooth riding, comfortable car, and the composite body panels hide rust well.

I would buy one again if they were still made
By sarahecuff on 11/29/11 18:17 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first car that I purchased by myself when I was 22, it was a year old and had 22,000 miles on it. Right now it has 129,000 and it is still running like a newer car. It has never needed any major repairs other than routine maintenance. My only gripe is that the AC died at around 60,000 and I never had it repaired because it needs a compressor and I never had the extra money to fix it. I had to replace all 4 calipers at about 80,000 but I have a lead foot so maybe this was the reason. Right now the CD player no longer works but I can't really complain, it has lived its life. Just a great reliable car to get you from point A to point B.

Such a wonderful car!
By bmccune on 11/15/11 02:00 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This was actually a car that my mother had bought new in 2002 because of the low interest rates after 9/11. The car was great! Never had any problems with it till one day it just wouldnt start. Almost had to have it towed until her friends dad pointed out the gunked up battery cables. That sure was the issue because after he cleaned them it started right up.(after being charged up a bit) She had this car until around 100k and that was only because she said that Saturn wanted to much for a tune up. My only complaint is that after getting rid of it we would still reach down to the area around the shifter in her Honda to roll down the windows which was quite funny.

LOVE my L300 and would buy another one of equal quality if I could.
By leslie26 on 04/24/11 10:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 L300 new from a Saturn dealer in 2001. Just turned 200,000 miles and still going very Strong! It hardly burns any oil at all. I'll be so sad to see this car go (when the time comes). There was an issue with a fuel sensor which occurred after Saturn was shut down and it took about 5 months to get the part that I needed. This was the only Major issue that I've had with the car. Based on other reviews, it looks like I got pretty lucky with my L300. I did follow the maintenance schedule so I have to think that helped a bit in getting the car to over 200,000 miles. I'll keep driving it until it dies.

Frustrating!
By Amanda on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new because of the 0% financing deal and at the time Saturn Service had a good reputation. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and I have replaced the computer in the car twice, A/C had to be recharged for the last 3 summers, gas tank cracked and had to be replaced, clutch went out, loud rumble in the back, dash bulb lights, etc. I would NOT recommend this car to anyone and would not recommend Saturn at all. The service department used to be wonderful - now the service is TERRIBLE.

Saturn L200 2002 5M
By apc on 07/07/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car ran great for the 30,000 miles I put on it. Just recently however the timing chain jumped, common with these l-models, and the valves/pistons/connecting rods were compromised. Engine will need to be replaced estimated at $2,400, through a friend of the family, while the car is only blue booked at $2,600. My brother has the same car, one year older, so I will keep the car for parts for him. He has also seen $2,500 in repairs for his vehicle. It seems like this vehicle is great up to 90K.

Best car ever
By dtom110cc on 09/10/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year ... My mom had it before me. I am 16 yrs old so as any 16 yr old I am rough with my car. I drove over 7500 miles in one summer not a single problem. I get from 25 to 45+mpg. So I would recommend this vehicle for anyone!

Very solid
By Krel on 06/18/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn L-Series Sedan L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With the V6 it is definitely fun to drive, which has an impact on the fuel mileage . . . This is my 2nd Saturn and I really like the way the driver's controls are arranged. Have put over 100k miles on it in 4 years and now has over 175k miles on it. Starting to see some maintenance issues with parts failing, but the major systems such as tranny, engine, etc are still doing fine. Annoying problem with the AC leaking into the driver's compartment, and the soft rotors have warped somewhat and essentially need replaced each time the brakes are replaced.