Used 2002 Saturn L-Series L300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

My 2nd review/entry - this may very well be the best car ever!
By leslie26

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

See prior review that I posted, but the 2002 L300 is still going strong at 270,000 miles (original engine/transmission)!!! I bought the car in October 2001 (when my son was just 5 years old), and now my son is driving the car. :) We just bought a 1999 SC1 for our daughter who will need a car soon. Only 67,000 original miles. Hope we have as much luck with that Saturn. The 2002 L300 is the best car I've ever owned, and we certainly got our money out of it!

My first car, everything & then some.
By jamesghee

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The '02 Saturn L300 was my first car. I didn't know much about cars, but I would soon learn. It being 10 years old (Got it in 2012), it obviously needed some work done. The 3.0L V6 provided excellent pick up on demand, and gas mileage was pretty decent. The leather seats were in great condition, and the interior design was pretty decent for a 10 year old car. I'm about 6'0 ft tall, and cabinet room was excellent. The car has great visibility, and drivability is through the roof. I would definitely buy this car again.

-3.0L V6 -Heated Leather seats (Driver, Front passenger) -Excellent Visibility -Minimal Torque Steer (For a 10yr old car) -Body Design -Basic, yet functional odometer meters -Perfect body length for a mid-size sedan -Color Combination (Silver Exterior, Black Interior)

-Noise cancellation technologies (Road noise, etc.) -More reliable and stable struts, suspension components, etc. -More soft touch features (No leather wrapped steering wheel, gear shifter, dashboard, etc.)

LOVE my L300 and would buy another one of equal quality if I could.
By leslie26

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 L300 new from a Saturn dealer in 2001. Just turned 200,000 miles and still going very Strong! It hardly burns any oil at all. I'll be so sad to see this car go (when the time comes). There was an issue with a fuel sensor which occurred after Saturn was shut down and it took about 5 months to get the part that I needed. This was the only Major issue that I've had with the car. Based on other reviews, it looks like I got pretty lucky with my L300. I did follow the maintenance schedule so I have to think that helped a bit in getting the car to over 200,000 miles. I'll keep driving it until it dies.

Reliability of the car is my favorite overall feature. My L300 has all of the bells and whistles, but I'd have to say that its responsiveness and power is what I really enjoy most about the car.

Quieter ride would be nice. Too much noise comes in through windows/doors.

Very solid
By Krel

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With the V6 it is definitely fun to drive, which has an impact on the fuel mileage . . . This is my 2nd Saturn and I really like the way the driver's controls are arranged. Have put over 100k miles on it in 4 years and now has over 175k miles on it. Starting to see some maintenance issues with parts failing, but the major systems such as tranny, engine, etc are still doing fine. Annoying problem with the AC leaking into the driver's compartment, and the soft rotors have warped somewhat and essentially need replaced each time the brakes are replaced.

The headlamps are excellent. It is easy to see even without the high- beams. The mirror defrost is great. Solid body construction. Love the V6. The sunroof is great. Handles well in all weather as long as you have good tires.

Many plastic parts or covers on the undercarriage that do not hold up well over time. The seat is decent, but not really comfortable for frequent or extended use. The fog lamps are completely useless.

Never Again
By jcollins

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I swear by Hondas, but when we got married my wife had a 2002 Saturn L200. So, let's itemize repairs in the last year: 83k - body control module fails. $500 at the Saturn dealer. 85k - catalytic Converter clogs and fails. Dealer wants $1500 to replace. I did it myself for $400 in parts. 88k - brake master cylinder goes, this would probably be $250 job at the mechanic, but I did the it for $100 in parts. 94k - The timing chain stretched and jumped time, smashed valves and ruined the engine. I got a used engine and upgraded timing kit for $900 plus $600 in labor for a mechanic friend to drop it in. For reference, at a dealer a new engine is $3800 plus about $1600 in labor.

None. There is nothing this car does better than a Honda Civic or Accord. Of course an Accord initially is 2-3X as much in price, but you get what you pay for (and a Honda will not depreciate like a Saturn either).

I had own a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, which has mediocre qualify, and had hoped GM improved in 10 years, but this Saturn is 10X worse. At least the Bonneville last 165k miles before blowing the tranny from abuse. This Saturn was never abused and still managed to break numerous times.