2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
Love my Saturn!
By technologygirl on 09/28/11 15:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Please pay attention to the model of car people are reviewing. This car is fabulous! Mine has 116,000 miles and it still looks new under the hood. The lw300 is the best version in this model line and can come with lots of extras such as leather seats, remote start and locks, power everything, rear defog and wiper, heated seats, etc. so you might get a lot more for your money. It drives and runs fabulously!

Love my baby!
By Sandi on 09/27/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Love this car. Bought it after my daughter totaled my old one. Have owned 5 Saturns over the years. It's 8 years old, and has only cost a couple thousand in repairs...mostly normal wear and tear ( tires, etc. ) Replaced brakes once, and the heater core just this past summer. oh, and a tune up. That was probably my single biggest expense. It was the last car off the line, or so I'm told. Fun to drive, and very dependable

Sell after 50,000 miles!
By sgaucho on 01/02/08 14:22 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like the comfort and performance of the car, but repair costs are killing me: Oil cooler leak, $1,350; water pump $450; power steering pump $400; front brake pads and rotors $450; faulty MAF sensor $450; thermostat $400. All of these repairs in the last year after the car went over 50,000 miles. The dealer tells me a new steering rack will be required in the near future. If anyone has one of these cars, sell at the first sign of problems after 50,000 miles. It will only get worse!

Car has reliability problems
By Bill on 11/19/07 06:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In the 1st 12 months I owned car, towed in twice, 4 sets of gaskets due to coolant leaks, water pump, center console cover replaced, mass air sensor, all tires had to be replaced at 12000 miles due to alignment problems that were never completely rectified, ignition lock replaced, and it costs $46.00 to have the computer reprogrammed if the battery fails. I bought a 2002 Ford Windstar because I could no longer rely on the Saturn. My wife now drives it about 75 miles a month. Would never own another Saturn and would not recommend one to anyone.

Never Again
By NotaFan on 05/11/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with a little over 23,000 miles on it in immaculate condition. I was told it had only one lease owner. Wondered why they traded it in. I didn't have to wonder long. Despite regular, timely maintenance, in less than three years, the car has had a short, two blower motors and most recently, replaced traction control brain module. Upside down on it, or I would trade it now! I will not keep it past the extended warranty, with deductible of $200 per occur. Never a GM car again; back to reliable Toyotas, or...

Horrible Experience
By moogplayer on 01/24/07 16:19 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this wagon for my growing small family. At approx $20K + 0.9% financing over 5 yrs it was a good deal at the time. Plus the advertised 24/32 MPG was a selling point for us. Factory Firestone tires were terrible so at 5K had to replace those. Things started happening before the warranty was up. Steering rack, transmmission woes, power slippage. Dealer refused to acknowledge there were problems until after the 3 yr warranty elapsed. So I dealt with a squealing steering system and a supreme lack of power. I was flooring it up suburban hills and highways at 40mph. Resale value was terrible. Finally traded it in for a Honda CRV. Never again.

Many items have Quality problem
By sa2003 on 01/23/07 19:29 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new, constant quality issues, will not buy GM again. Ignition cylinder has failed 2 times. Transmission sensor has failed 2 times. Electronic locks and or remote entry keys failed 4 times, final time off warranty and still dead. Abnormal short tire life. Air-conditioning failed at 4 year mark like my prior GM car. Transmission leak at year 5. Constant small and big quality issues ruin the reliability and leave the owner wondering what is going to fail next. Honestly needed 8 years /100,000+ mi from this vehicle. Dumping before 80,000. Last GM, perhaps ever.

6 Happy Years Of Ownership
By E. Hein on 10/27/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Saturn and my first was a new '97 SW2. This car has been great to drive and own as was the last one. I have the 4 cylinder automatic which has plenty of power to get me to my vacation home in the mountains. I get 31-33 mpg on the highway and 19-23 in town. I have kept mileage records since day one of owning the car. I wish that Saturn still built a car like this.

A Good Basic Wagon
By DanF on 05/05/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My LW300 has 75K on it. The only things that I have had to fix are a new BCM (body control module) and a coolant leak at the heater core. New front pads at 40K. It's been a good car. I plan on getting the trans fluid changed out, and a new timing belt, within the next 10K miles. Steering has had some "bumps" and they tell me the power steering rack will need to be replaced at some point but I have been living with it for over half the life of the car now. Second set of tires is wearing fine. Originals were terrible. Nothing fancy about the ride or the detail. Some rattles have developed but I am not complaining too much.

Better than I expected
By AD on 01/03/06 12:43 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW200 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Decent car, too bad it is no longer made. Not fast: highway merging means use of high rpms, but the engine doesn't mind. Fuel economy acceptable but not stunning (26-27 avg). Rented a 2.2 sedan with auto, very weak - if looking for used go with 5spd. Only major repair issue was the clutch slave cylinder at 25K (under warranty) but is on the way out again and will cost $$ (requires tranny removal on this car), otherwise nothing except oil changes, brake job and new tires. I even have a hitch and towed a 10 ft trailer 2200 miles to NM. Gripes: handbrake is too close to passenger's left leg, bar behind back seats in split fold mode, notchy gear change, no abs.