Used 2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

Scrapped in 3 months
By Kyle Jones

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with only 125000 miles on it, it had a lot of work, new timing chain, new hoses, brakes, etc. After 2 months of driving it started pulling insanely hard to the right, it turns out the subframe had completely rotted out and if it had been under more stress I would have wrecked it. I purchased another L200 that had the engine blow on it and took the subframe from that car and put it on mine. About two weeks later after putting the new subframe on, the temperature dropped to about 10 degrees Fehrenheit and the engine froze up and blew.

This car was a total waste of time and money, and it had been maintained. Be very careful with these cars, they don't like to last. Be prepared to do work on it or replace an engine or two. Also be careful of the parts that aren't made of plastic (the whole car is plastic) because they will rust out on you.

Worst Car I Have EVER Bought
By Tony

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst Car Ever.
Cons:
Breaks worked great after I spent a lot of money to get them fixed. The windshield breaks very easily. The exhaust was horrible. The battery never held a charge, I bought three batteries. Headlights were very dim and break lights broke all the time. The tires went bald fast.
Pros:
Great gas mileage, plastic body, fairly cheap parts.

295k miles and still going
By her_shey

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn L-Series with 63K back in 2007. She has been altered exterior with window tint, nice stereo and sound speakers/woofer and amp…which was installed in 2007 as well, and she still boomin'.
Drives great, good on gas. All I replaced was the fuel pump, starter, tires & battery of course. She has 295k miles, and I really feel she will hit 300k. We just made sure the oil was changed, use synthetic oil 5/30, with good driving habits. You know I was just rear ended a few days ago, and she didn't budge…that bumper does wonders!! Still in tacked. We used interior parts from the salvage yard to make the inside look like new.

moon and sunroof and handling, cheap maintenance and easy to change and repair. However I heard transmission is nothin to play with on this model. Knock on wood, we don't have to worry about it. Easy to change fluids and gas mileage when you use top tier fuel. Keep fuel injectors clean.

extra dark tint made the car look even better. I got pulled over only once since 2007. Use salvage yard parts to replace interior parts..its worth it and its cheap.

New Used Car
By jreb78

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Inherited car from my nephew with 118,000 miles. Already has a new engine and catalytic converter.
Already having trouble removing key from ignition.
Wondering if car isn't a lemon, but it's better than not having any transportation in spite of the inconvenience of having to disconnect the negative battery cable every time I par the car. I can't believe this car has had so many problems thus far.
Had a 1984 Blazer with almost 300,000 miles before it was totaled in 2000 because of an idiot driver who stopped on the freeway in traffic to answer her cellphone.

I'm still trying to get accustomed to the window controls being on the center column instead of on the door panels. I always get the cast offs, but so far it's the nicest even though I've only had it two weeks and I already need to make repairs. The seats are nice, the interior is mainly intact, and it has a CD player.

A car should not need this many repairs in such a short period of time. The manufacturers should also go back to motor mounted fuel pumps that aren't made of plastic and electronics that cost over $300 and are located in the gas tank. Especially now when we're in a recession and real people can't afford such expensive repairs.

I love it.
By mrzerathemant

2001 Saturn L-Series Sedan L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, my dad bought this car used for $1200 with about 146000 miles (I think.) I've owned it for about a year and it's about to have 156000 on it. The only thing I can say is the oil leak it has can be a bit annoying and it smells like engine coolant whenever I turn it off. But other than that I absolutely love it. The accelleration is incredible and the gas mileage is very nice. Too bad my speakers and stereo suck. Why you no have tape player?! I wouldnt trade her in for anything, well, maybe the stationwagon version. Its one of my goals to make the odometer read 500000 on this car. How can I sum her up? Well as Stevie Ray Vaughn once said, Shes my sweet little thing, shes my pride and joy.