2001 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
295k miles and still going
By her_shey on 03/01/14 20:20 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn L-Series with 63K back in 2007. She has been altered exterior with window tint, nice stereo and sound speakers/woofer and amp…which was installed in 2007 as well, and she still boomin'. Drives great, good on gas. All I replaced was the fuel pump, starter, tires & battery of course. She has 295k miles, and I really feel she will hit 300k. We just made sure the oil was changed, use synthetic oil 5/30, with good driving habits. You know I was just rear ended a few days ago, and she didn't budge…that bumper does wonders!! Still in tacked. We used interior parts from the salvage yard to make the inside look like new.

New Used Car
By jreb78 on 12/26/13 15:24 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Inherited car from my nephew with 118,000 miles. Already has a new engine and catalytic converter. Already having trouble removing key from ignition. Wondering if car isn't a lemon, but it's better than not having any transportation in spite of the inconvenience of having to disconnect the negative battery cable every time I par the car. I can't believe this car has had so many problems thus far. Had a 1984 Blazer with almost 300,000 miles before it was totaled in 2000 because of an idiot driver who stopped on the freeway in traffic to answer her cellphone.

I love it.
By mrzerathemant on 04/10/13 17:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, my dad bought this car used for $1200 with about 146000 miles (I think.) I've owned it for about a year and it's about to have 156000 on it. The only thing I can say is the oil leak it has can be a bit annoying and it smells like engine coolant whenever I turn it off. But other than that I absolutely love it. The accelleration is incredible and the gas mileage is very nice. Too bad my speakers and stereo suck. Why you no have tape player?! I wouldnt trade her in for anything, well, maybe the stationwagon version. Its one of my goals to make the odometer read 500000 on this car. How can I sum her up? Well as Stevie Ray Vaughn once said, Shes my sweet little thing, shes my pride and joy.

Saturn Buyers Beware
By troubled18 on 04/10/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If your thinking of buying this model vehicle DON'T. Hands down the worst car I have ever owned. It WILL suck every penny you have out of you. These cars have the weakest commuters in any car I am aware of. Just change a battery, alternator, or just put a battery charger on it and you can burn out the BCM (Body Control Module). Diagnosing the problem will be the first problem then there is the $600 to replace it. Subframe built by SAAB with a curved muffler $400 for muffler only. Poor design on the oiler that keeps timing chain oiled+interferance motor=t-chain jump & replace motor, used $1000, new $2500. Heater fan,switch, and repair melted under sized connector in the dash $400. Just say NO

If you buy this car, read this
By hannabanana on 01/02/13 17:54 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

There is a design flaw on the timing chain tensioner. Anywhere from 80k miles to 150k miles, it usually breaks. This is a 30.00 part. But if you don't know about it, and you don't fix it, the car will "jump time", and when this happens, it almost certainly will destroy the top part of your engine. This will cost about 2k to fix. If you own one, get it down to the shop and get that part changed. You will be sorry if you don't. In my town, the junk yard is full of these L series Saturns. They all look nice, but they are sitting there rotting. I had a S series, and it was the best car I ever owned. This L series, not so much!

Bad car
By thefame on 11/17/11 10:08 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom gave me her Saturn L. It the worst car ever. Ever time there was at less 2in of show the car would get stuck and you had to PUSH it or you didn't go no where for the day. My step dad is looking for a car for me because I drive so fair for college and work. The shocks are falling a prat. When you hit the right bump you can here the shock shack. It is the worst can i ever had. A deer cam out and i was going 2 MPH and the deer hit his head on the driver side of the car. The front driver side had to get replace. If i was to get hit i would be dead. This is not a good car. I'm happy that they stop making them.

Love my Saturn!
By technologygirl on 09/28/11 15:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Please pay attention to the model of car people are reviewing. This car is fabulous! Mine has 116,000 miles and it still looks new under the hood. The lw300 is the best version in this model line and can come with lots of extras such as leather seats, remote start and locks, power everything, rear defog and wiper, heated seats, etc. so you might get a lot more for your money. It drives and runs fabulously!

I will never own another Saturn
By planetside on 07/01/11 16:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2004 with only 42,000 miles on it. It now has 165,000 miles and has given me nothing but problems since it hit 100,000. Replaced the heater core twice, water pump twice, oil filter, hoses, gas gauge doesn't work right now, and I've replaced multiple spark plugs. I had a Nissan before and it never had any problems at all besides basic maintenance and it had over 250,000 miles on it!!

A Lemon!
By var5592 on 05/15/11 15:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Upon purchasing this car I found that the previous owner had replaced the engine. I heard of this engine having issues yet I doubted it would actually blow due to the list of issues that plague these engines. After one year of ownership, the engine blew due to a random rod busting through the block. The second engine only had 40,000 put on it upon purchase and then another 30,000 put on by me during the year. Awesome car besides the shoddy craftmanship.

My 4th Saturn!
By LawBoy25 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought my L200 with 2.2L engine, which is fuel friendly, reliable, and provide decent pep. I've owned an Ion sedan, Vue V6, and SL2 sedan in the past. I just needed something inexpensive to own, maintain, & insure since while I finish law school. It has 117,000 miles and I believe I can get another 117,000 miles out of it. It makes a great 1st car or 2nd car. I hope to find a good Saturn Aura as my 5th Saturn after I finish school.