Used 2001 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

295k miles and still going
By her_shey

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn L-Series with 63K back in 2007. She has been altered exterior with window tint, nice stereo and sound speakers/woofer and amp…which was installed in 2007 as well, and she still boomin'. Drives great, good on gas. All I replaced was the fuel pump, starter, tires & battery of course. She has 295k miles, and I really feel she will hit 300k. We just made sure the oil was changed, use synthetic oil 5/30, with good driving habits. You know I was just rear ended a few days ago, and she didn't budge…that bumper does wonders!! Still in tacked. We used interior parts from the salvage yard to make the inside look like new.

moon and sunroof and handling, cheap maintenance and easy to change and repair. However I heard transmission is nothin to play with on this model. Knock on wood, we don't have to worry about it. Easy to change fluids and gas mileage when you use top tier fuel. Keep fuel injectors clean.

extra dark tint made the car look even better. I got pulled over only once since 2007. Use salvage yard parts to replace interior parts..its worth it and its cheap.

New Used Car
By jreb78

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Inherited car from my nephew with 118,000 miles. Already has a new engine and catalytic converter. Already having trouble removing key from ignition. Wondering if car isn't a lemon, but it's better than not having any transportation in spite of the inconvenience of having to disconnect the negative battery cable every time I par the car. I can't believe this car has had so many problems thus far. Had a 1984 Blazer with almost 300,000 miles before it was totaled in 2000 because of an idiot driver who stopped on the freeway in traffic to answer her cellphone.

I'm still trying to get accustomed to the window controls being on the center column instead of on the door panels. I always get the cast offs, but so far it's the nicest even though I've only had it two weeks and I already need to make repairs. The seats are nice, the interior is mainly intact, and it has a CD player.

A car should not need this many repairs in such a short period of time. The manufacturers should also go back to motor mounted fuel pumps that aren't made of plastic and electronics that cost over $300 and are located in the gas tank. Especially now when we're in a recession and real people can't afford such expensive repairs.

I love it.
By mrzerathemant

2001 Saturn L-Series L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, my dad bought this car used for $1200 with about 146000 miles (I think.) I've owned it for about a year and it's about to have 156000 on it. The only thing I can say is the oil leak it has can be a bit annoying and it smells like engine coolant whenever I turn it off. But other than that I absolutely love it. The accelleration is incredible and the gas mileage is very nice. Too bad my speakers and stereo suck. Why you no have tape player?! I wouldnt trade her in for anything, well, maybe the stationwagon version. Its one of my goals to make the odometer read 500000 on this car. How can I sum her up? Well as Stevie Ray Vaughn once said, Shes my sweet little thing, shes my pride and joy.

Saturn Buyers Beware
By troubled18

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If your thinking of buying this model vehicle DON'T. Hands down the worst car I have ever owned. It WILL suck every penny you have out of you. These cars have the weakest commuters in any car I am aware of. Just change a battery, alternator, or just put a battery charger on it and you can burn out the BCM (Body Control Module). Diagnosing the problem will be the first problem then there is the $600 to replace it. Subframe built by SAAB with a curved muffler $400 for muffler only. Poor design on the oiler that keeps timing chain oiled+interferance motor=t-chain jump & replace motor, used $1000, new $2500. Heater fan,switch, and repair melted under sized connector in the dash $400. Just say NO

The car drives good and gets great milage (30-35), if you can keep it out of the shop long enough get it on the road. I can drive a full size truck for less money in the long run. The constant expensive repairs will leave you very disapointed and broke. 2001 Saturn L200 2.2 4cyl 5 speed.

Buy a horse you'll be much happier.

If you buy this car, read this
By hannabanana

2001 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

There is a design flaw on the timing chain tensioner. Anywhere from 80k miles to 150k miles, it usually breaks. This is a 30.00 part. But if you don't know about it, and you don't fix it, the car will "jump time", and when this happens, it almost certainly will destroy the top part of your engine. This will cost about 2k to fix. If you own one, get it down to the shop and get that part changed. You will be sorry if you don't. In my town, the junk yard is full of these L series Saturns. They all look nice, but they are sitting there rotting. I had a S series, and it was the best car I ever owned. This L series, not so much!